喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
smkncajun
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Looking for advice about deer

Buddy gave me a shoulder and a butt from a doe, but not sure what do to with it. He wants me to try and smoke it, but with no fat for tenderizing, I am afraid it will be two hunks meat you wouldn't even give your dog. If I can inject and then perhaps wrap in bacon to seal the juices in, what do you think.
smkncajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Use the larding method it an old time way.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
smkncajun
Knows what a fatty is.

Not familiar with that, can you expound?
smkncajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

No advice on larding, however I highly suggest draining ALL the blood from it, and
if you can get every bit of fat off of it. That'll pretty much kill the gamey flavor and
the flavor that remains is similar to beef only better (IMHO). I grind it and use it
in chili, but we then have to add fats back in (with either lard or some sausage).
But that's chili. Smokin', low & slow, I'd be worried as you are.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
jestridge

There is a thing called a larding needle which inject plugs of lard in the roast. But I have because of the lack of needle cut small slots in the roast and insert plugs of lard. This also work good on turkey or birds like grouse or phesants.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
jestridge

Larding

back to Glossary IndexThe process of injecting fat into the interior of meat, generally by using a larding instrument to accomplish the task. Larding is a method used to add fat to very lean and/or tough pieces of meat. The added fat acts to moisten, enhance the flavor and tenderize meat as it cooks. Typically, a strip of lard, referred to as a lardon, is cut from bacon or pork and chilled to harden the substance. Many meat stores sell lardon for larding however, if the lard is to be cut from existing meat, slice the cuts on the diagonal to produce the most effective cuts for insertion. The fat may be seasoned with herbs, wine, salt, pepper, or other seasonings for added flavoring. The meat is then pierced across the meat's grain with the tool and the fat is either drawn through or pushed into the meat.
A lard needle may consist of a slender, heavy guage steel needle, similar to a sewing needle, except much larger and heavier, that is used for threading a string through the meat that can be used for drawing a narrow strip of chilled fat into and through the pierced meat. This type of needle is most often used for smaller cuts of meat. Another type of larding needle, also referred to as a lardoire, is a hand-held utensil that has a stainless steel, half cut hollow shaft with a pointed end. Larger in size than the narrow shafted steel needle, this needle is used for larger roasts and cuts of meat that can take a larger diameter injection needle. WIth a pointed end, this needle can be readily inserted into the flesh of meats, opening a hole in a section of the meat that allows for the injection of the fat. The injection is made against the grain so the carved slices of meat do not contain long streaks of fat that may lay with the grain as the meat is sliced. A strip of fat is placed into the open shaft, which is then inserted into the meat and a metal injector tab can be freely pushed foward to inject the fat into the meat. A technique similar to larding is barding - a process of laying strips of fat over the meat rather than inserting it into the flesh of the meat.

Larding Needle

Old 11-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

My bow club smokes deer hams reqularly. debone it. soak in a tender quick brown sugar brine for 6 to 8 hours. smoke over night. iy will be good. serve with favorite bbq sauce on the side. fron shoulder. can't help you as far as smokinf goes. keith
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
fivelombardis
is one Smokin' Farker

hind quarter, slice it up into thin steaks, tenderize and then bread and chicken fry them. front leg, grind up and make jerky or chile meat. that's about it brother.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've use Cajun Injection Venison and injected the whole jar then let sit in fridge for a few hours. Season then wrap in the fattiest cheapest bacon you can find.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Next obvious question: Since a brisket is also a tough piece of meat, anyone ever try larding one of those?

Would like to hear how the venison turns out...
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
jestridge

brisket have a lot of fat don't need larding ,my opinion

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
jestridge

You also could try making pastrami out of it . I think cowgirl would be the expert on vension pastrami

Old 11-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
You also could try making pastrami out of it . I think cowgirl would be the expert on vension pastrami
That sounds like a great plan. I pick out the leanest piece of beef I can find when making Pastrami. My current Pastrami is 2 weeks into a 3 week brine.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
schoonch
Knows what a fatty is.

My B-I-L and I have done a couple of hind quarters the past 2 years and were pleasantly surprised at how they turned out. We made a bunch of slits in the meat and stuffed said slits with hunks of sliced fresh garlic. Then marinated meat and injected the hell out of it (BIL made some Italian style marinade), wrapped it with bacon and lard and smoked it. Expected it to be dry, but everyone really liked it. Don't be afraid to give it a go.
schoonch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

just inject it we do that all the time