The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Catering Bid

I'm trying see if my prices are right because I've never went through this type bid before. I got a call last week about a catering job that about 1hr round trip from my house. When I spoke to them they were dead set on ribs and chicken. ( Whole rack and Split Chicken ) I talked them out of the full rack of ribs with the chicken and suggested that they do chicken with a few ribs. Maybe 3 bones. So beside the meat they also wanted 6 sides bread, dessert, Tea and Lemonade. The bid is for 175 people. 1 split chicken and 4 ribs with 4oz servings of each side plus bread and dessert for each one. I know that this is WAY over kill but that's what they want. We will be delivering, setting up, and serving the food. I can only dream how much leftovers they will have. (We will leave that with them) I'm charging $28.14 per person. Does this sound close? Thanks

Check us out on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

I think you are fair, I would be at about $27.50 but the travel time is worth a little more. That is a good job to land, congrats!

Unread 11-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Do you have a place in your quote documents that lists suggested portion size? I do, and I'm glad I do. I've been in that situation where the customer was miffed at the amount of leftover food.

The documents don't lie.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Bushay
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just curious how you arrive at a total like that. Can you break it down a little. Trying to set some pricing myself. Thanks in advance.
Bushay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushay View Post
Just curious how you arrive at a total like that. Can you break it down a little. Trying to set some pricing myself. Thanks in advance.

You need to break it all the way down. What is it going to cost you per serving? What's your time worth? I think this is where most people mess up. How much time will it take to go get everything, cook and prepare everything, travel time, serving time, clean up at event time, washing dishes time, washing the linens, etc. Then you have your fuel (Wood, Charcoal, gas), rub, sauce, any rental costs. All of this must be taken into consideration.

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Do you have a place in your quote documents that lists suggested portion size? I do, and I'm glad I do. I've been in that situation where the customer was miffed at the amount of leftover food.

The documents don't lie.

I do not. But that is something I put into this bid. I'm probably going to leave it in the documents from now own. The only reason I did it this go around was because of the over kill.

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Prairie Smoke
On the road to being a farker

175 people? That's a good size crowd for someone just starting out. How badly do you want the job? Is it yours at any price? That price seems high to me, and I'm in a market where I can price a 2-meat meal with 3 sides and buffet service for $19 (for a crowd that size). Now let me clarify - for that amount of food, the price is fair. But what's the risk of losing the job because it's priced so high?

My point is - maybe you can present 2 quotes. One for the amount of food they're asking for, and one for a smaller amount of food that will still fill everyone up. For me, I would budget 1/3 to 1/2 rack of ribs (SL style spares or backs) plus 1.5 pieces of chicken per person. Even if you cooked a half rack and a 1/4 chicken for everyone, that's a lot of food. Add 3 sides, buns, and desserts, and I'm sure you'd still be well under $20. What do other BBQ caterers charge for this meal in your area? That's your target price.

If you present 2 options it gives your customer some options - increasing your chance of getting the job greatly.
Memphis Pro
FEC-100
Southern Pride XLR-1400, SPK-500
WSM x 4, UDS, Weber 22" OTG
You don't win friends with salad!
@prairie_smoke
Prairie Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would be at $27.50 plus tax and gratuity!

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314