What I Did Last Weekend

Arlin_MacRae

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I tried a couple of new things and thought I'd share the results.

Six racks of babybacks on two grills, up high, dripping on a six-pound packer-cut brisket, fat down. Temperature was pretty constant at 220° Hickory was the wood.

I usually break the membrane and steam my BB's over beer and spices in the oven for three hours, then smoke them for another three hours while mopping with a diluted home-made BBQ sauce. This time I skipped the oven session smoked them for two hours wearing nothing but a rub, and I sprayed them twice with a 50-50 mixture of Jack Daniels and apple cider vinegar. I foiled them for one hour, with some JD & cider for steam, and unfoiled and sauced them for the fourth hour, then I coolered them for about 20 minutes while mama worked her magic on the stove. I reduced my cooking time from six hours to four and got a better product! They were just shy of falling off the bone, which is the way we like them. I'm glad to say there were three racks left over after we eased our stuffed and bloated bodies away from the table. :)

The brisket wore a heavy commercial rub overnight and I had it fat down, low in the 'Dera, about six inches above the water pan. I had the ribs dripping on it for three of it's six hours and I never turned it, sprayed it, mopped it, or disturbed it in any way. I foiled & coolered it after I took it off, and actually just threw it into the fridge after that! That seemed like a shame - throwing a brisket in to cool without even LOOKING at it - but I ran out of time. The next day I opened 'er up and sliced it into strips, tasting as I went. Even reheating it brought the juice out and the bark was great. It had a flavor I've never tasted before, that I have to attribute to the constant basting in pork drippings. And oh yes, it was GREAT.

I learned that babybacks using a 2-1-1 method come out great, and brisket-under-pork, fat down, does too.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Arlin

Thank you for sharing Arlin. I do my ribs almost the exact same way.

See, great minds think alike! Enjoy those ribs!

Back