oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Smokin' Aces
On the road to being a farker

Default thinking of doing a competition on long island next spring

would like to do a fundraiser bbq competition at the coliseum in uniondale some how for a stroke foundation..... would ant be able to try and help me put this together ? looking to do this around next spring. thank you
Smokin' Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not in the area, but alot of the gang here are.

Wish you nothing but luck!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I'd be happy to lend a hand. Before you get started, you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Where will you hold this event? The coliseum won't work. They would require you to use union labor to do everything. Set up teams tents, unload equipment, etc.

2) How will you pay for the area that you are using?

3) How will you raise money for the charity?

4) How will you pay for prizes?

5) Will the event be sanctioned? Where will that money come from?

6) Do you have a staff that you'll be working with? Believe it or not, it's a lot of work.

7) Will the event be a standard BBQ comp? ie. What categories will you have?

8 Who will judge the contest?

9) How will you advertise?

10) Are there any other events in the area during the time frame that you're looking at?

Feel free to lmk if I can help out at all.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Just shows you, all the hard work you guys put into these things. The phone calls, the BS, the ups & downs.......More credit to you, phil & anyone crazy enough to set this stuff up for a bunch guys in love with the comp of Que....
WE ALL SHOULD THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME & EFFORT with anything you guys do to get this stuff up and running every year.

As far as the starter of the thread, more power to you & you ability to do for others. Charity & good will for others is very few & far between these days. We do march of dimes, smile train, breast cancer & others........pass the love
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A contest I can walk to. I'm in! I could probably get some Islanders involved.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
I'd be happy to lend a hand. Before you get started, you need to ask yourself a few questions:

1) Where will you hold this event? The coliseum won't work. They would require you to use union labor to do everything. Set up teams tents, unload equipment, etc.

2) How will you pay for the area that you are using?

3) How will you raise money for the charity?

4) How will you pay for prizes?

5) Will the event be sanctioned? Where will that money come from?

6) Do you have a staff that you'll be working with? Believe it or not, it's a lot of work.

7) Will the event be a standard BBQ comp? ie. What categories will you have?

8 Who will judge the contest?

9) How will you advertise?

10) Are there any other events in the area during the time frame that you're looking at?

Feel free to lmk if I can help out at all.

Eric
Eric,
are there any how-to tutorials available to answer some of these questions for anyone wanting to start out new?
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Smokin' Aces
On the road to being a farker

yea i was figuring there is a lot of room there i am in the talks with some peple but how would i get soe sponsors going for this would i just call up the company or do i have to do something else.
Smokin' Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

the BBQ Central Radio show had BBQ Thom on his show a while back and they spoke about what it takes to put on a competition. It is the June 22nd edition of After Dark.

Thanks from:--->