Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
On the road to being a farker
Default Cowtown rubs for Competition Que

I am thinking of trying Cowtown rubs. Heard they are like the old Oklahoma Joe's. Anybody ever use these and do you like them and why..... Looking for a new flavor profile. I love Yardbird, but I think everyone is using it.... Sometimes change can be a good thing..... Any feedback is thanked... I am here in the Northeast and judges seem to like sweet with a little heat...
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Cowtown rubs do great in the Northeast
Jacked UP BBQ vending

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

I personally love Yardbird, and it is still doing well here. Of course there are 3-4 additional spices/tricks I add to my food that make it unique, but Yardbird makes for a nice base on ribs and chicken.
Swinestone Cowboys BBQ Team
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Capn Key,

Are you talking about Plowboys Yardbird or the old Oklahoma Joe's Hog and Yardbird?
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Cowtown rubs. I'm sure a lot of people like them and they are quality rubs. But, they don't suit by palette very well. If sweet and hot is what people in your area like, try adding some Smokin' Guns Hot in the mix.
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member - I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote