喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #46
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brilliant ecode! Gore's gonna take another whuppin' :)
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #47
flyingv4me
Full Fledged Farker

My favorite pie is pecan and you took it to new sugary heights!
flyingv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #48
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

For my entry in the Candy Throwdown, I created:

SWEET AND SOUR-PATCH PORK!

It started with a couple of chops!

They were rubbed up and thrown on the grill to cook indirectly.
Once they were cooked all the way through, I pulled them off and set them aside for later.

Now it was time for the star of the cook!

I planned on using some in the sauce along with throwing some in with the stir fry portion as well.

Sweet and Sour-Patch Sauce:
1 Package of Sour Patch Kids candies.
1&1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Rice vinegar
1/4 cup Soy Sauce (maybe a little less)
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Pepper seeds (I used jalapeno but, might switch this out for curry or something hotter.)

First the water and gummies are tossed into a pot to slowly cook on low heat, the idea is to melt down the gummies.

In went the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and it was left to slowly simmer for about 15 minutes.

Then it was stir fry time! I cubed up the meat from the pork chops, sliced up a red bell pepper, and snapped some snow pea pods in half.

Then I got out my brand new cast iron wok and put it on a hot bed of coals to warm up. Then bacon grease was spooned in.
Once the oil started to smoke a little, I tossed in the meat and the veggies.
The cooking was fast and furious, this wok is a beast!

Then it was time for the star to make an appearance again. Another box of gummies was dumped in with the meat and veggies.

The sweet and sour-patch sauce was added. I went with about 1/2 cup worth.

A couple of stirs around to make sure everything was nicely coated and then I took my wok off the coals. I scooped up the mixture into a bowl and brought it into the house.

Then it was time to get out some white rice and plate it up!

All that was left was to eat it! (Chris please use this one or the previous one for my TD entry.)

I can't lie... this tasted... AMAZING! The sour from the sauce combining with the sweet of the candy was great and the slightly salty mild crunch from the pork was an excellent compliment. The only thing that might have made it better was a bit more heat. All and all, yeah, I'll do it again!
Thanks for looking!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #49
bigabyte

Whoa! Very creative! I'd hit that in a heartbeat!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #50
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

I gotta agree I would love to try that.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #51
bluetang

My salivary glands are now in overdrive
Homegrown 120 Gallon Reverse Flow, Homey, the Homegrown frier, 1UDS, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Bicycle Fast Polder Thermo, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #52
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

That looks great...if you want more heat next time; you can try some

Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #53
ecode
On the road to being a farker

That was truly inspired!
How did you come up with the idea?
I would love to try that.
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #54
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecode View Post
That was truly inspired!
How did you come up with the idea?
I would love to try that.
You should try it!
I did originally try to make candy bar ABT's but that was a horrible scary failure. So, then I figured that I should try something that I was not only a fan of but that most people probably wouldn't do and that's how I came across the whole gummy idea.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #55
bigabyte

My original idea seems so pitifully pathetic at this point. Come on brain, think of something! I'm just not a candy maker I guess!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #56
Big George's BBQ

encode I gained weight just looking at that
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #57
deguerre

Way to go Tom!
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #58
ecode
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post
I did originally try to make candy bar ABT's but that was a horrible scary failure.
I am curious about the ABT, that is a great idea too. We used to make a "HOT" Apple Pie with Anaheim peppers that was fantastic. It sort of tasted like the Hot Tamales that Grillman posted with apples. The spicy cinnamon heat was a weird sensation when served cold. Sweet and Spicy is such a good combination.
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #59
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecode View Post
I am curious about the ABT, that is a great idea too. We used to make a "HOT" Apple Pie with Anaheim peppers that was fantastic. It sort of tasted like the Hot Tamales that Grillman posted with apples. The spicy cinnamon heat was a weird sensation when served cold. Sweet and Spicy is such a good combination.
So this was my quick Hot Chocolates (Candy Bar ABT's) attempt. This IS NOT A TD ENTRY.

Started off by coring out some jalapenos canoe style with the stem still on. Then I took a dozen or so different kinds of chocolate bars, put them inside of the peppers and wrapped them in some bacon. For some reason this whole combination sounded like an excellent Idea to me. Once they were all wrapped up I threw them onto some indirect heat on the OTG.

As you can see in the pics, the bacon was having issues with staying wrapped on some of them but, The smell of roasting chocolate made me think that this should be tasting like hot chocolate with a pepper heat hit and a bacon salty back to it. I finally took them off when the bacon got crisp.

I sat and stared at this tray for atleast 5 minutes before I decided to try one. The smell seemed pretty decent but, there was a very strong pepper aroma as well. I managed to power my way through 3 of these things, almond joy, hershey bar, and twix. I say power my way because withe the first bite, I got a strong green pepper type taste with the chocolate just being in the background. In the end, they tasted absolutely horrible, the only one mildly stomacheable was the almond joy but, I think it's because the coconut helped it out.

If I were to ever do this again, I would chop the bars up and mix them with cream cheese and bacon bits. Although, I don't even know if that would help but, the chocolate by itself just did not far well against the pepper taste.

Yet again THIS IS NOT A THROWDOWN ENTRY.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #60
bigabyte

OK, got it! These are your Throwdown entry!

Duh.

Tags
Raccoon candy, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread