The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Observation on facebook

Karen Walker mentions that there have been over about 52000 turn in boxes used this year. Do you realize that styro-foam has about a 5000 year life expectancy! We need to do something to change this!!!
1 Weber Gold Series Grill
1 WSM
1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Not much choice of containers out there that are as readily available as a 9 x9 box. Yes, there are probably some nice things on the market but they have to be able to hold up to heat, weight, be disposable, etc. We eat out a lot and I haven't seen much alternative for to go boxes. Maybe a good idea for KCBSs R&D to work with a vendor on such a thing.

Unread 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
bamaman76
On the road to being a farker

But on the flip side of this conversation. The chemicals they use to make recyclable products is worse on the environment then the turn in boxes will be.

Unread 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

PNWBA uses green boxes. Not sure what the material used is but personally I like them better then the KCBS styro boxes. The sides are straighter and they are much more durable. Maybe swamperb knows where they get them if not I can try to find out if anyones interested.
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Styro-foam is a registered trademark of Dow Chemical. The actual material is extruded #6 plastic polystyrene. And it can be recycled.

The problem is there is no money to be made in recycling this product so those recycling facilities that accept it are only doing it as a benefit to the environment. With a 1,000 life span it's going to be around awhile.

One alternative would be to require comp organizers to ship their used styrofoam to one of the recycling centers that accept this material through the mail. Maybe not the best solution, but it's a solution.

Another alternative would be to require them to spray the containers with Lemonine. This naturally made citrus product will shrink styrofoam to 1/20th of it's original size. This process would at least take up less space during the 1,000 years it sits in the landfill.

There is also a box of the same dimensions made out of sugar cane that biodegrades in 120 days when used.

Thank you, Yak for bringing this issue up.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
nthole
Babbling Farker

Wow...I knew styrofoam was bad, but it never occurred to me that we were adding to the problem with a significant amount just through competitions.

Thanks for bring it up. However the 9x9s are easily accessible in every city and cost effective. Is there an alternative product from the Sams/Costco/Walmart/Restaurant Depot type company that is ready available, environmentally friendly and cost effective?

Sounds like a good position for a Board candidate to take and create a solution for.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

I like the stryo products that they make out of potato starches and paper, great strength and totaly bio degradable

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Not to say that we shouldn't look out for the environment, but I'm gonna say that if you compressed all of those 52,000 boxes into a single block, that it would not seem like nearly as much poly styrene. If it were all incinerated, I'm betting the combined pollution from all of it wouldn't even come close to equaling all of the lighter fluid and Kingsford blue bag that is burned in a year. Not to mention all the cheap off brand charcoal that is made from God knows what.

Again not to sound like I don't care because I do. If more environmentally friendly containers are available then by all means lets use em. But if they aren't cost effective then lets not forget that most cookoffs benefit a charity of some kind and we wouldn't want to cut into that. Haha not that likely though. They would probably just raise the entry fees ;D
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

My first thought was the additional costs involved to address this
disaster. Then, I slapped myself! This is totally stupid.
Compressed or compacted, the 52,000 containers wouldn't make a bale measuring more than
2.875 square feet!

I have more important things to worry about than crap like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADGUMMIT! View Post
Not to say that we shouldn't look out for the environment, but I'm gonna say that if you compressed all of those 52,000 boxes into a single block, that it would not seem like nearly as much poly styrene. If it were all incinerated, I'm betting the combined pollution from all of it wouldn't even come close to equaling all of the lighter fluid and Kingsford blue bag that is burned in a year. Not to mention all the cheap off brand charcoal that is made from God knows what.

Again not to sound like I don't care because I do. If more environmentally friendly containers are available then by all means lets use em. But if they aren't cost effective then lets not forget that most cookoffs benefit a charity of some kind and we wouldn't want to cut into that. Haha not that likely though. They would probably just raise the entry fees ;D
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

G.E.T Enterprises in Houston offers a 9x9 recyclaboe/reusable to go container. They are a bit expensive but you can reuse them over and over. They come in a variety of colors and options. Seems like they were around $3.00 each
They are stackable, dishwasher safe, break resistant, mocrowaveable, etc...
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

If i decide to use these, will you wash them?
I didn't think so.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

We used an eco-friendly box at a contest. While we liked the dimensions and stability, the material seemed to absorb moisture from the product to the point that the organizer let us line it with foil- which kind of defeated the purpose of the box.
MemphisBBQCO.com
Yazoo's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
If i decide to use these, will you wash them?
I didn't think so.
The mechanics could be worked out. All new ideas or systems require everyone working together to resolve and come up with solutions. To many people want to sit back, point out what is wrong but fail to assist in coming up with solutions. My philosophy is there is never an absolute and given enough time and thought any problem can be resolved.

Assuming you follow the local HD rules and have a wash, rinse and sanitize station then how hard is it or how long would it take?

Just saying
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

should stop reading facebook it sounds like

Unread 10-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

why not switch to those tinfoil to go containers that are easily obtainable and redily recyclable. i wonder how many of those styrofoam containers are used for their intended purpose during the same time period though.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote