The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 1st Run of the BBQ Guru Competitor

I bought a used BBQ Guru Competitor a week ago and today is my first time using it on my UDS. I started the fire as usual and plugged the guru in set at 250*. It was 34* here this morning. The UDS was taking forever to get to temp. It occurred to me that the guru was blowing to much cold air in (10cfm fan). So, I closed he ball valved about half. Then the temps climbed to 310* and stayed there. After looking, the guru was reading 250* and the Maverick was reading 310*. I know the Maverick is correct, so I recalibrated the guru. It is very easy to do. There is a potentiometer that adjusts the calibration. Now that I have it dialed in closer, the UDS is running at a rock solid 245*. I will calibrate it with boiling water tomorrow. Lesson learned, calibrate before the cook! I have a butt on and will see how it does over the next 10 hours. I have to go in to work for a few hours, so I will have my wife keep an eye on it.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

"There is a potentiometer "

A what???
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
btcg
Babbling Farker

What you discovered is something I tried to tell the group after getting my NanoQ and doing a few cooks with it: the smallest fan is usually gonna be all you need, as even the smallest fans pumps a ton of air into the fire.

Most don't consider: their fire box came without a fan (ususally), and the designer was obviously content with the amounts of air the vent provided. And any fan is going to increase the amount of air flow: so why do you need the largest fan they make?

Answer: most of the time.... you don't.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post

A what???
variable resistor

Old 11-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post

A what???
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Michael, thanks for the clarity of the picture.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
I bought a used BBQ Guru Competitor a week ago and today is my first time using it on my UDS. I started the fire as usual and plugged the guru in set at 250*. It was 34* here this morning. The UDS was taking forever to get to temp. It occurred to me that the guru was blowing to much cold air in (10cfm fan). So, I closed he ball valved about half. Then the temps climbed to 310* and stayed there. After looking, the guru was reading 250* and the Maverick was reading 310*. I know the Maverick is correct, so I recalibrated the guru. It is very easy to do. There is a potentiometer that adjusts the calibration. Now that I have it dialed in closer, the UDS is running at a rock solid 245*. I will calibrate it with boiling water tomorrow. Lesson learned, calibrate before the cook! I have a butt on and will see how it does over the next 10 hours. I have to go in to work for a few hours, so I will have my wife keep an eye on it.
Did you reopen the ball valve after you discovered the calibration problem?
It seems to me having a fan to big would just cycle off sooner rather than put to much air in if it is working right.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo View Post
Did you reopen the ball valve after you discovered the calibration problem?
It seems to me having a fan to big would just cycle off sooner rather than put to much air in if it is working right.
At first blush, that is how it would seem. But, in reality, there is a delay between the fan cutting on and the temp coming up. What would happen is that the temp would initially come up, and then the large volume of cold air would actually cool off the fire. After re-calibrating it, I left the ball valve closed about halfway to restrict the incoming air from the fan. It has been rock solid at 250 for 7 hours now.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Funny, never needed a fan on my drum. Glad it worked for ya!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote