MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
mschrock
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default 1st brisket, flat from sams club, how long?

I'm trying to figure out when I need to put a 6.5 lb sams club brisket flat on the UDS. I spent the evening searching the forums, but have found it very difficult to get relevant search results.

I have found a couple partially helpful posts, saying that the flat is less forgiving, and that it cooks quicker, but no where have I seen hard numbers.

If I want to serve it at 5:00 PM, and smoke it at ~225F - 250F when should I start?

Thanks,

Marlin

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
nthole
Babbling Farker

On AVERAGE, about 70 minutes a pound. But every piece of meat is different. The best bet is just put it on first thing in the morning. It'll probably be done in 7 - 8 hours. Pull and foil it, wrap in a beach towel (in a pan first to catch the juices) and put in a cooler. Hours later it will STILL be too hot to handle. Pull out, unwrap and slice.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
On AVERAGE, about 70 minutes a pound. But every piece of meat is different. The best bet is just put it on first thing in the morning. It'll probably be done in 7 - 8 hours. Pull and foil it, wrap in a beach towel (in a pan first to catch the juices) and put in a cooler. Hours later it will STILL be too hot to handle. Pull out, unwrap and slice.
Yep, that is about as good advise as you will get. Most bbq isn't an exact time and/or temp like a lot of recipes. This will certainly get close. Don't worry about being in the cooler for several hours as it will be fine if it is two hours or even four or five hours. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I'm with these guys, get it on ASAP

Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
campdude
Babbling Farker

Did my first brisket (flat only) a little while back. 70 mins a pound is a good ave. but, it's done when it's done, as everyone says. Had mine in the cooler for about 3 hours before we were ready to eat and it was still hot and juicy. Post pics of the cook and finished Q.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
btcg
Babbling Farker

Considering the time/temp loss adding fuel brings to the table, I plan on 1.5 hours per pound. Doin brisket today too. Put mine on (about 7 lbs) @ 9am - plan on it being done around 7 pm @ 235 degrees.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker

Exactly why I keep coming back to the brethren.... you keep on learning more and more about meat, cooking techniques, and how to make just plain good Q.
Thanks Brethren!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
mschrock

Well, got off to a late start, but the thickest part just hit 160F. I wrapped it in foil. UDS is hanging on to 280F since opening and foiling. I guess now its a waiting game...

Thanks for all the input. Makes me feel much more confident about doing something like this!

Last edited by mschrock; 10-23-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Clarification
mschrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

I'm plateauing @ 185 degrees, myself. Lookin like a 7 PM finish @ 205 degrees was right on for me.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Default 1rst Briskets 14hrs

I fell a sleep doing my first briskets good thing I gave my wife instructions on how to use the smoker I think it was 14 hours without foiling.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoolcold View Post
I fell a sleep doing my first briskets good thing I gave my wife instructions on how to use the smoker I think it was 14 hours without foiling.

Some pieces of meat are stubborn like that. Good training for the wife.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
mschrock

All-in-all it was a success. I will try to do better next time, however. I had a few issues with temperature control. I thought it was a tiny bit on the dry side, however it was nice and tender.

I do have a couple questions, though. I smoked it fat side down, and just before slicing it, I removed the fat. When I sliced it, there was a nice smoke ring on the meat side, but none on the fat side. Is this normal?

Also it looked like there was part of the point attached, I removed it before slicing, and saved it for later. At least I assume it was part of the point, as it has a completely different texture and was more fatty. Looking at that, I think, I will seek out a packer next time.

As for pics, I completely forgot. However, after I vacuum sealed the very small amount of left overs, I did snap a quick one with my cellphone showing the "half" smoke ring.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
mschrock

I thought it would be proper to reply back to this topic with the following:

A couple days ago I picked up an usda select packer brisket from walmart. I figured that it would be my next victim. I just pulled it off the smoker 13 hours, OMG. I will never do another flat only again! I will never foil again!

Closeup of flat and point junction.

This is the point section, the fat cap was crisp and rendered down. Last time in the foil the fat on the flat didn't as much.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks good Now cube that point and make some burnt ends while you slice up that flat and take some tasty pics for us.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice brisket, bro!

Tags
brisket, flat, sams club, time