The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Coleman Hot Water Machines

I'm not 100% on it, but it looks like the Coleman Hot Water machines are off the market. I have seen lot's of teams using them and am wondering if it's a good idea to pick one up used, or is there a better alternative.
Now that the season is over for us, it's time to get some upgraded stuff.

Thanks
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
www.redlionspicyfoods.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Where did you hear they're off the market? Here's thier site, and here are the heaters.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ategoryID=2200

We love ours, with one exception. We got it at the beginning of this year, and all but one time when using it, I've had an issue with the battery terminal connection where I have had to take out the battery, disconnect, and reconnect it, or the thing doesn't turn on.

Also, be sure to read the whole instruction book. One of the surprises is, if you have the charger plugged into the unit, it won't turn on. Other than that, it's a great addition! Certainly better than the turkey fryer and 30 qt pot we used to use!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

They have had lots of problems with those over the years. I have had two and while you can make adjustments to make them more reliable I'd go with something else.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

We got ours prior to this season and have loved it! Not a lick of problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Also, be sure to read the whole instruction book. One of the surprises is, if you have the charger plugged into the unit, it won't turn on.
We did read through the book and couldn't find it at all. It took us 2 hours to figure that one out! Between you and I, I think it's a squirrel conspiracy!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like mine when I get around to hooking it up at contests but have had two issues. First, be careful with the knob. You have to push in to turn it on and if you break it the whole thing needs to be replaced (which they did for free so not too bad).

Also, I bought the adapter to connect a hose directly to it but it was mainly plastic and the pressure blew it apart right away so now I pull water from jugs. Anyone ever get the adapter to work?

Also used the shower attachment once when we had no gas in the house so that was an added bonus.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's good to know about the hose adapter. It's one of the things I was going to put on my Christmas list but now I'm think otherwise...

As for the shower hose, we were thinking that it would work well for rinsing prior to and after washing...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
That's good to know about the hose adapter. It's one of the things I was going to put on my Christmas list but now I'm think otherwise...

As for the shower hose, we were thinking that it would work well for rinsing prior to and after washing...
Yeah, it doesn't run long before the water cools off but definitely works for rinsing. That was after 3 days with no gas in the house.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Unread 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
gjdad
On the road to being a farker

Are these units potable? Meaning do they meet the requirements for drinking water?

Unread 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Chipper, I saw a few teams using the eccotemp l5 for hot water, I am going to try it and see, especially if I can adapt it to the small propane bottles, then its pretty portable.

Eric
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Meadowcreek PR60
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Uuni pellet fired pizza oven
Goddahavit is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
vexter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
Chipper, I saw a few teams using the eccotemp l5 for hot water, I am going to try it and see, especially if I can adapt it to the small propane bottles, then its pretty portable.

Eric
I've had 2 Eccotemp L5's - they have been PERFECT. Zero complaints. You can find them on ebay or overstock for right around $120.
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
bodcat
Knows what a fatty is.

I had one that was several years old that broke, Coleman had me a new free one within a couple weeks. They have something like a 10 year warranty. I used it for 6 competitions this year before having to recharge the battery. They are handy.

Unread 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Also, I bought the adapter to connect a hose directly to it but it was mainly plastic and the pressure blew it apart right away so now I pull water from jugs. Anyone ever get the adapter to work?
I bet it would work fine with a pressure regulator in place. I use one at places with high water pressure (like Harpoon). (I don't use the Coleman, but the concept is the same.) Here is just one example that can drop pressure to 25 PSI. (Most homes are in the 50-70 PSI range.)

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Pressure...7684396&sr=8-5
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
comfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
First, be careful with the knob. You have to push in to turn it on and if you break it the whole thing needs to be replaced (which they did for free so not too bad).

You're luckier than me, then. On the very first competition use of it, we broke the knob. Coleman would not cover it under the warranty, and after I complained and complained they finally sold me one at "half" price. But it was half the list price and they still insisted on charging me shipping. The total came out to very nearly what I originally paid for it on Amazon. Once this one breaks, which I know it will, I'll go with something else.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Unread 10-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Wow, we bought our 1st one in 2007, had warrenty issue about 18 months in, just would not heat...sent us a new one, same issue 2 months ago, just sent it in about 6 weeks ago...they are on back order, but are supposed to be sending it by end of October, just hope I get it by the time Acorn rolls around 1st weekend of November.

They did want the turn knob, hose and picture that the unit was destroyed...Think this was sufficent proof?

Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Wow, we bought our 1st one in 2007, had warrenty issue about 18 months in, just would not heat...sent us a new one, same issue 2 months ago, just sent it in about 6 weeks ago...they are on back order, but are supposed to be sending it by end of October, just hope I get it by the time Acorn rolls around 1st weekend of November.

They did want the turn knob, hose and picture that the unit was destroyed...Think this was sufficent proof?

That's awesome! I just unscrewed the case on mine. Still have some usable parts.