עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS election thoughts

Having had several conversations about the KCBS BoD election that is approaching, over the last few months, I took the time to think about how I'd determine who I'd vote for. I came up with the basic criteria below.

It's going to take more than name recognition for me to cast a vote this year.

I need to see that a candidate has skills to offer to KCBS, whether that's management experience, a technical background that would be beneficial, experience in helping a business or other NFP grow efficiently, etc.

I need some clear examples of issues they believe in, and will work to develop while serving. I want to hear something other than helping foster harmony and cooperation on the board. While I believe that it's crucial, I believe that it will be such a common theme that it will be meaningless as a discriminating factor. A good start would be a clear statement on what they believe the role of the BoD should be and what they will do to help achieve that goal. I'd like to see some form of a code of conduct or ethics developed, with some clear repercussions if one or the other is violated.

Most importantly, I will only vote for someone that I believe will act as a "Director" and not a "Manager". I want to be able to vote for a candidate that is interested in taking advantage of the growth opportunities that may present themselves, and run this organization like a business and not a dysfunctional club.

While I'm grateful for the service of the existing BoD, and members that have served in the past, I think it's time for a change. As the board exists now, I've heard too many scraps and seen too much evidence of grudges, feuds, and burned bridges to have any confidence that there will be a change in the way that the business of the BoD is carried out without a significant change in the makeup of that board. Anyone meeting the qualifications outlined above, and that I can reasonably believe will put forth the effort to remain free of the existing polarization of the current BoD and carry out their duties for the benefit of the organization has a shot at my vote.

EDIT: I should add that my dissatisfaction is with the current board as a whole. Not individual members or factions. The polarization that exists today, is there because it has been allowed to grow.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I truly believe the entire thing is a joke. We are cooking food for money. This is way too serious and political for what it is. It is nice to have organization and rules, but once they are set which they are, either follow them or dont participate.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
JD McGee

I am pretty much removed from the KCBS politics out here...other than what I read on the forums...this one in particular. As a KCBS member with a vote I also take my queue from you folks as to who to vote for. I will be watching and reading with an open mind...thanks for starting this thread Jorge!
JD
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Divemaster

I agree. The BoD needs to move to a more 'Corporate' level where you actually let people do their jobs. I don't feel it is the place of the BoD to deal with the day to day running of the KCBS. It's their job to have a vision and move that vision to the reality.

When a company, and let's not fool ourselves KCBS is a company, is small, a leadership role requires getting down in the trenches. Once that company grows the role of leadership changes, less shovels and more vision. You want to know what a BoD should be doing, let's see... Board of Directors... Director to me is someone that gives direction and leadership, it’s that simple.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Last edited by Divemaster; 10-13-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Well said
I have started with a theme of "helping foster harmony and cooperation on the board."
Specifics concerning the future will be added as the campaign continues.
It is October and we have a long way to go here.

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm with you, Jorge. One of the other things I'll be looking at is if any of the nominees are in cahoots with past/existing BOD members.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I'm with you, Jorge. One of the other things I'll be looking at is if any of the nominees are in cahoots with past/existing BOD members.
I agree and I'll be looking to see if they're in cahoots with the Executive Director as well. She is way more involved in the bull**** than people want to believe.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I agree and I'll be looking to see if they're in cahoots with the Executive Director as well. She is way more involved in the bull**** than people want to believe.
Thanks for the inside info. When of the best things I like about you Ray is that you always speak your mind.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
big brother smoke

I have been a member now of KCBS since 07 and I keep asking myself why? In three years, I have seen too much High School student council B.S.

I am looking for BOD members who will listen to its membership and implement change for the better. Tired of the Cronie Network and lack of professionalism!

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314