ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Does anybody donate their leftovers?

I've really been thinking about donating some of my BBQ to a local shelter. The only thing Im hesitant about is opening myself up to any kind of legal action. I do a good amount of practice at home and friends and family only want so much BBQ. For instance I've got a few 20lb whole shoulders Im going to do some MBN practice with. They could feed quite a few people. Any suggestions?
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Most places don't take prepped food except for holiday meals. Your heart is in the right place.

Feed the people who make your life more convenient. i.e. mechanic, welder, subordinates, neighbor's hot wife... you get my point.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Most places don't take prepped food except for holiday meals. Your heart is in the right place.

Feed the people who make your life more convenient. i.e. mechanic, welder, subordinates, neighbor's hot wife... you get my point.

Thats true I never thought about them not even taking it. I just feel a bit guilty cooking so much food sometimes.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Take it to the fire station.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

^^^^^^
thats what I was just going to answer.

we have a food pantry nearby. A few years back i brought a load of BBQ there and they declined. They dont accept cooked food... so on the way home i dropped it off at our local firehouse and the guys were more appreciative than the folks at the pantry. I have dropped off bbq at my barber, ACE hardware, local hero shop, landscapers(wood source).. etc..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

The bigger the city you live; the more options you will likely have.

Here in Denver, Colorado; a law was passed to protect any restaurant from
getting sued from any food they donated to any shelter. Many restaurants
refused to donate food; because they were concerned about law suits.
Now donations are up as a result of this law.

Also there are outfits such as "Meals on Wheels". They accept cooked
food from restaurants and businesses with their own cafeterias. They even
have several specially equipped trucks with "hot boxes" so they can drive
around to the businesses and collect the food from each business when
they finish serving their lunch menu.

Check around to see which type of places will work best for you to donate
to.
Grillman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I second the firefighters idea....they always appreciate great BBQ for free.

At competitions, we have had many teams bring us their extra meat to sell to the public during the People's Choice portion of the event. We support a local charity, so the $ made goes toward the donation to our team's supported charity. Might be worth looking into, at least at competitions.

Unread 10-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Sledneck
Time Out

A few years ago here on Long Island I set up with a local organization to collect the leftover meats from competitors at the battle of the brethren contest. I even asked if some would cook and extra butt and some did. Some teams even brought canned good as well. That was good because many teams had family etc and didnt not donate their leftover meats. Out here its called Island Harvest. There are many groups like them across the country that accept cooked food. In NYC its called City Harvest. I suppose phil forgot about this.....
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

next weekend Im cooking a competition in Chambersburg Pa, which is to benifit Make A Wish, they are going to be collecting any unwanted cooked pork to sell. They did it last year and did ok, but it seems like most of the teams dont want to part with the goods. I m gonna donate the remainder of the 4 butts Im cooking and will probably (if cooker space permits) another couple. I actually posted on here that I would buy extra butts if other teams had cooker space, sadly no one accepted my offer.

I do like the fire dept. idea , never thought of that one.

Unread 10-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ask if you can bring packaged uncooked meat then cook it right there on site for them to serve.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I usually donate some to the contest to help feed volunteers, staff, etc. What ever is left I like to drop off at a local VFW or American Legion. If not it comes home and either gets distributed to friends, suppliers, neighbors. I really don't have all that much left over after that...

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Good idea bourbon It is sad though that when a guys wants to do something good for people by giving them some good Q, you have to worry about the legal side of it, we are in a sue happy society, and some people will look for a way to make a buck off of good people trying to do good things. go with the firefighter idea, it sounds like the best to me, and with you being in louisville, im sure there are plenty of them to feed
quarters69 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
A few years ago here on Long Island I set up with a local organization to collect the leftover meats from competitors at the battle of the brethren contest. I even asked if some would cook and extra butt and some did. Some teams even brought canned good as well. That was good because many teams had family etc and didnt not donate their leftover meats. Out here its called Island Harvest. There are many groups like them across the country that accept cooked food. In NYC its called City Harvest. I suppose phil forgot about this.....
We donated to that, and it was quick and easy to do thanks to Sledneck making all the arrangements. The Ben & Jerry's booth at the "I Love BBQ" contest in Lake Placid also collected BBQ for charity and gave donors ice cream in return. Contest organizers take note: most of the teams don't want to bring all this product home.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
...Contest organizers take note: most of the teams don't want to bring all this product home.
I'll second that! I love when we get to donate it to someone. They'll get every last shred of BBQ from us.

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

We make sure that the postman, mechanics, Dr's, and all of the folks who we depend on get BBQ on a regular basis.
Amazing what good it does for the level of service we receive and amount of our bills.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote