עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Fyrman_Mike
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Dumb Question from Newbie...

Ok, so I am getting ready for my first competition which is a backyard comp at the KCBS event in Arthur, IL.

Question: Does your meat have to be packaged prior to inspection? I was wanting to do some of my trim work before arriving, but couldn't make heads or tales of the ruling. Even thought his is just a backyard event I am in, I want to "play" for real to get the true feel for the competition.

Also, I have family that butchers their own hogs. Can I use meat from them or does it have to be inspected meat? (Not planning on going this route, but want to know if it is even a possibility.)

Thank you all for the info. Look forward to maybe seeing some of you at the Arthur Event. Look for Res-Q BBQ!!!!

Unread 10-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

No such thing as a dumb question. Check with your KCBS Rep beforehand but usually as long as the meat is not marinated, seasoned, or brined before they inspect then you'll be fine. They don't really care where it came from either so long as it's a fresh unaltered product. Trimming should be okay as well but check with your rep just to be sure. I like to cut my chicken at home so I dont have to deal with it in at the comp. Out here at my last comp they tested for temp as well so make sure it's on ice or in the fridge when they show up.

Unread 10-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

No dumb questions -- ask away! Yes, you can trim meat beforehand. No, you cannot season it. Source of meat can be commercial or local. Meat inspectors look for temperature and sanitary storage. Most pro competitors do all of their trim work the day before the contest to save time.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

KCBS rules usually don't pertain to backyard comps but sometimes the organizer will follow the KCBS guidelines. Check with your contest organizer about the backyard rules.
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for question. I am also doing my first backyard event and was wondering the same thing.

Unread 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For what it's worth, I dont know of any BBQ contest that I've seen (sanctioned or not)
that allowed pre-seasoned or pre-marinated meat. Pre-trimming is usually allowed, but
not pre-seasoning of any kind (nor obviously pre-cooking).

Keep it cold!
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Just to be on the safe side Mike, it wouldn't hurt if you pre-trim to save the lables from your original packaging. Butts are supposed to be at least 5 lbs. Never had anyone ask to see the labels, but doesn't hurt to keep them with the meat until inspection is over. And as most everyone else has said, there are no stupid questions.

Look us up (2 Skinny Cooks) while you're there. We're going to try and get down there Thursday afternoon. Be sure and order yourself some of the sticky buns from the CIBR website!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Fyrman_Mike
Got Wood.

Thanks all for the replies. Talked to the Cook-off chair and Pre-Trimming is OK. (Obviousy no marinating and such beforehand.) I believe they are using the KCBS rules as a guideline for the Backyard Cook-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Just to be on the safe side Mike, it wouldn't hurt if you pre-trim to save the lables from your original packaging.
Great idea! I will DEFINATELY be sure to keep the labels. Planning on Vaccum sealing after trimming so that the meat doesn't get water logged in the cooler. (Haven't found a ziplock yet that didn't leak!)

We are planning on arriving Friday afternoon. Wanted to try and sit in on the cooks meeting Friday even though not in the full sanctioned part. Look forward to meeting you!

Unread 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey, Fyrman, I'll be there, too. I'll try to fly my Brethren banner.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
chambersuac

Oh, Fyrman Mike - you do know that you must cook BEEF ribs at this contest, right just kiddin' ya.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Divemaster

I have never been asked for the original label... I get most of my meats weeks or even months ahead of time and other than the weight, the label would do no good...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote