The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
altomari8868
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fire extiguisher question for teams!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me the requied type or letter to identify the required fire extinguisher for a KCBS competition......
Thanks in advance..........
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would recommend a simple 5 lbs ABC fire extingusiher.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here in PNWBA land (and the occasional KCBS event) the required fire extinguishers are a 2A40BC or 3A40BC purchased and or serviced within the last year (receipt and or proof of certification) with the needle in the Green zone showing a full charge.

Costco usually has them in stock @ $30 and a extinguisher service runs @ $7-12 around here.

The rules by which we must abide:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Please remember everyone, fire extinguishers are required at all PNWBA events, whether or not the local fire code for the event location requires them (pretty much they all do, though). Fire extinguishers MUST be rated (at a minimum) 2A40BC or 3A40BC.

Fire extinguishers MUST be current. By current we mean three things:
1) Purchased within the last year with receipt proof of purchase
2) Serviced / certified within the last year with proof of service tag
3) Have the needle in the green on the gauge. Remember - just because it has been less than a year since the extinguisher was serviced / purchased, it still may be out of a charge.

Check your extinguisher before the season starts rolling. Get them purchased / serviced if needed! Remember - head judges will inspect your extinguisher at each event.

******************** PLEASE NOTE FOR SEATTLE EVENTS ****************

The Fire Marshall has started checking our calendar to see what events are happening in the city. This means that the inspector WILL be at Home Depot this weekend. If you do not have a valid fire extinguisher and you are cooking this event, go into the store as soon as you get there AND BUY ONE! Better yet, buy it before you even arrive.

We have been notified that if the inspector has to wait for you to acquire a valid extinguisher, the PNWBA WILL be fined! I can promise you that the board will pass the fine to the team(s) who incurred it.

Thank you for your cooperation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Most of us cook PNWBA/KCBS so its not an issue (you would think?)

Some time ago, I had a 5lb Amerex extinguisher and the Seattle Fire Dept Inspector was impressed, but also let the Head Judge know I was not in compliance. Another team leant me an extra to pass muster.

The place I get mine inspected gives me an e-mail reminder when mine is due.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow! Glad I live in NJ. An ABC fire extinguisher is just fine. If the needle is in the green your good to go.

Unread 10-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We've found requirements to be variable by venue, so check with your event's organizer. We're run across everything from very specific extinguisher requirements and full enforcement of clear zones around cookers, to "What? I didn't tell the fire marshal we'd be having any fires *wink wink*."

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

All that the KCBS rules state is that a fire extinguisher shall be kept near the cookers.

That's it.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote