The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default the best whole hog cooker

I have been getting an lot of catering bids for an whole hog I have an old hog cooker but I would like to up grade to an nicer one an low maintance one

what kind of cooker have you used and did you like them
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

look at meadow creeks, very nice units, used to rent one all the time before i made my Haulin' Hawg Trailer Cooker

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
grillzilla10
Full Fledged Farker

I have one built in lexington ky. It will cook anything you want to do. It has an offset firebox or you can use the two large propane burners to do hambugers and hotdogs. The amount of money that we shell out for these rigs we ought to be able to cook anything on them.
grillzilla10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Backwoods...used by current World Champion, Yazoo Delta Q

Papas lil Cookers made by Maxey Fabricators ...was used by 3 time World Champion, Myron Mixon of Jack's Old South

Jack's Old South Cookers (Myron Mixon now has his own cooker, wouldn't surprise me if it's made at Maxey's Fabricators)

Yoder's Smoky Mt BBQ. Cheap pig ROASTERS

Unread 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
donmiller
Knows what a fatty is.

I just got back from the JOS school. Yep. Myron's new cookers are still made by Jim Maxey.

Until this weekend, I had never seen one of those large water smokers (I'm an egghead myself). They seem to produce very good results (we did a whole hog in one this weekend), but they require quite a bit of attention. In addition to minding the fire, you need to monitor the level of the water via a sight-port on the side of the cooker and replenish the water via an inlet port as necessary.

With Myron cooking his briskets at 350F, the water level needs to be monitored closely. At that kind of temperature, the cooker spews steam like a locomotive.

For a whole hog, the Papas little cooker model 1600 would be the right size. I think they said it goes for about $3800. It is already tow-able. Just go down to Unadilla and hitch'er up.

Not recommending this cooker per se, but since I've got fresh eyes on it (just saw one this weekend), I figured I would chip in.

Don
Sunshine Legend 3000 Gasser :shocked:
donmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Didn't realize Backwoods were as affordable as they are. Rethinking my purchase this spring, I think I could get a lot more bang for my buck with a Backwoods vs. the offset I was looking at (Meadowcreek SQ36).

Unread 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been checking out several hog cookers myself and I think I'm going to end up with a Stumps Platinum 6.

Unread 10-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

42....you're not going to get a pig to fit on a sq36...a pr36 or pr60, now those are meant to be hog cookers. We have a caja china, and it's not a bbq'ed pig per se, it does cook a nice product, and if you wanted a smokier product im sure you could rig up a smoke injector.

Unread 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmiller View Post
I just got back from the JOS school. Yep. Myron's new cookers are still made by Jim Maxey.

Until this weekend, I had never seen one of those large water smokers (I'm an egghead myself). They seem to produce very good results (we did a whole hog in one this weekend), but they require quite a bit of attention. In addition to minding the fire, you need to monitor the level of the water via a sight-port on the side of the cooker and replenish the water via an inlet port as necessary.

With Myron cooking his briskets at 350F, the water level needs to be monitored closely. At that kind of temperature, the cooker spews steam like a locomotive.

For a whole hog, the Papas little cooker model 1600 would be the right size. I think they said it goes for about $3800. It is already tow-able. Just go down to Unadilla and hitch'er up.

Not recommending this cooker per se, but since I've got fresh eyes on it (just saw one this weekend), I figured I would chip in.

Don
Myron likes his Maxey cookers and they certainly get the job done but he also has Nick shoveling wood and water all night while he sleeps. :)

Unread 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmiller View Post
Papas little cooker. It is already tow-able. Just go down to Unadilla and hitch'er up.
Don
Or meet them in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Didn't realize Backwoods were as affordable as they are. Rethinking my purchase this spring, I think I could get a lot more bang for my buck with a Backwoods vs. the offset I was looking at (Meadowcreek SQ36).
I think BWS makes a mighty fine smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
Myron likes his Maxey cookers and they certainly get the job done but he also has Nick shoveling wood and water all night while he sleeps. :)
Definitely makes it easier when you got good help.

For catering jobs, I'd definitely be looking into something that was gas assisted or an insulated model (like the BWS and higher end Maxeys/Jack's cookers).

Unread 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

These are some of the best cooking gas units!!!

www.bqgrills.com

These are a collection of random photos we have collected over the years.
Some where sent in by our customers.
These Should Make You Hungry !!!

Jeff - KCBS #67908

"New smoker/cooker in works for 2014!!"
Custom BQ Grills Vertical Smoker (SOLD)
WSM 22.5 (CL find)
Charbroil Bandera (Free from fellow Brethren!!)
UDS x 2
BQ Grills Patio
jgbmgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

We believe the two finest hog cookers available are the Backwoods Smoker Comp Hog Model or the Stumps Smokers Platinum 6. We have used the Backwoods to win at comps in many different regions of the country. The Stumps is more of a set it and forget it smoker with the auto charcoal, while you will need to check on the backwoods every 4 to 6 hours, which relative to other brands is extremely easy on the cook. Backwoods is a water smoker, Stumps is not- kind of a preference thing.
We haven't ever cooked on a M...M..... cooker; never really wanted to have to tote that much wood to a contest.
MemphisBBQCO.com
Yazoo's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If I was cooking hogs for commercial I would go with a gas / wood cooker. Cook with wood for 4 hr then switch over to gas
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

There are many versions of whole hog smokers, and many more "home made" versions. I feel that the best flavor comes from long smoking process in a smoker. A "La Caja China" will cook a smaller hog and cook it fast---it will be tender and juicey---however unless alterations ar made to the box---it is not "smoked" and has no smoke flavor at all. The "Caja China" cooks on the same principle as a "Dutch Oven" but is sealed off from any smoke. Some folks add a "smoke pistol" to attain smoke flavor.

I have been catering for over 20 years and started out cooking whole hogs in a "homemade" smoker--that was made from a 350 gallon fuel tank. The smoker was made and owned by J. B. Dewar Fuel Company in San Luis Obisbo, CA. The company that I worked for did business with the fuel company so I was allowed to use it. It used chunk oak charcoal---at the time there was a charcoal plant in Paso Robles, CA.

The "trouble" with catering or vending using a smoker to cook a whole hog is:
People want to see the pig and take pictures of it. Repetitive opening and closing of a smoker kills cooking time and temperature.

We are now using a pig roaster rottiesserre over an open fire using oak wood for heat and flavor. I would never use this method at "Memphis in May"---but luau parties in California do not usually have any CBJs. The meat and the coloring are great---everyone loves it---we get many referals, and people at events asking us to cook a pig for them.

An open pit simply enables a person to see the pig, hear the pig sizzle, smell the pig cook, and after served feel the texture, and taste the taste.

A smoker only allows for smelling the pig cook---and after being served--texture and taste.

If you are catering this is something to think about
If you are vending then this is a must--people buy with their eyes.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
42....you're not going to get a pig to fit on a sq36...a pr36 or pr60, now those are meant to be hog cookers. We have a caja china, and it's not a bbq'ed pig per se, it does cook a nice product, and if you wanted a smokier product im sure you could rig up a smoke injector.
Should have clarified, I personally don't have a need to do whole hogs yet, the comment I referenced merely got me to check out the Backwoods website. However, I am considering the Meadowcreek PR42 which can do about 100 lb hog as well as hook up all the other basic Que meats. Right now a toss up between Meadowcreek PR42 and the smaller Meadowcreek offset.

Should mention, I DO LOVE the idea of owning a Caja China, just don't tell my wife lol.