Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

As far as the number of guests, it's probably a good estimate of counting 1 person per invitation she sends out. (That means about a 50% showing with 2 people per.)

I wouldn't be scared. Know that you need to get the butts done BEFORE the wedding and let them be holding. You should have no problem holding them for 3-4 hours. Just get your equipment worked out and go from there. Keep up with her invitation count and how many RSVPs she gets. I would be surprised if she gets more than 60% to RSVP and then, like I said, I wouldn't expect more than 1/2 of the invitees to show up (with a guest).
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Full Fledged Farker

you are getting alot of sound advice here. hopefully you are sound enough to heed it. if you have never cooked for a large crowd, i would recommend this not to be your first venture into that world.

cooking large quantities is more than taking what you normally do and multiplying it. as has been said there are many more factors involved that you would need to account for. couple that with not having your own equipment and environment....

if you decide to do it i would like to wish you the best of luck. (maybe put a help request out for some help from some of the posters on here, you could still use your recipes and what not, but they would be providing the pit experience and local knowledge for the last minute emergencies.)
COS, SS gasser,10-10-10 UDS,and 4-4-11 her twin sister, 22.5 silver, and others.
jimmyinsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think it also depends on the style of catering they are looking for. If it's a full blown style wedding then walk away but if it's a VERY relaxed sort of event I would look further into it. The UDS is a great tool but you also need to consider not only holding the big cuts but the smaller items like beans, veg, salad etc. Remember you may only have a Therma pen some rub, hand tools and an apron with you only to find a clapped out 18" Weber to feed 200 people off.

Neve rmind the meat where will you find ice chest, pans, serving dishes, salad bowls flowers, towels ect ect ect ect?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
Full Fledged Farker

What they said! ....I've only cooked for one large group and I was fortunate enough that all I had to do was do was the cooking. It was for a large funeral party for a church member and very respected man in the county much less our community, it was an honor to be asked to do it. I had fun doing it but was worried constantly about how the final product would turn out.. All the family members raved about it and the widow thanked me and said it was "superb". My point is, it was alot of work just to do the meat , pull it ,serve it etc, will you have help??? I was fortunate enough that the church ladies cooked everything else and set it up, that wouldv'e been too much for a lone bone operation.
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
Take a breath!

I can understand i take all sugestions to this thread to heart. But, im fairly certain the only thing i will have to do would be the cooking as they will provide everything.

I reception will held at a Beach house, near Olympia, of which im very familiar with, as i grew up around that area. I believe its more of informal reception, as it will be at a beach.

I wont need to provide all the other other dishes and depending what i request to cook would be the only supplies i would need. im not gong to do something im not comfortable bbq'ing, so ill skip ribs, maybe lol

The biggest variable to what i cook, will be knowing what i would be cooking on and thats my only main worry from what little info i have atm.
Raspberry PI Heatermeter homemade temp controller, 2 UDS.
New Version 4.2 Heatermeter with K thermocouple support Available
PM me, if you would like a heatermeter pre-made, everything included, heatermeter, case, blower, SD card programmed, servo and case, no soldering needed ready for your network and BBQ.
Theboz1419 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
Knows what a fatty is.

You are the only one that knows your family so be honest with yourself. If you choose to go for it keep posting and we will help to the best of our ability.
BBQ VT is offline   Reply With Quote