MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed
Default Cooler Technique

Kev asked about using a cooler, but I didnt want it to get buried in the cattle call.

Some good info already on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevcros
My question is..I smoke to the appropriate temps, let sit for a few minutes and carve..Someone please explain the wrapped cooler sitting technique ? May start early to allow cooler if important..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookswithfire
Kevcros..being a newbie myself I may be totally wrong about this but this Is what I think the cooler does...It gives the meat a extended rest allowing some of the juices to soak back into the meat.. with out loosing that much temperature so its win win
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
. I'll add a bit to cwf's insight on the use of a cooler to say that even when stuff is pulled from the cooker and the internal temp begins to drop that cooking continues, using the cooler extends this process and will yield a more tender finished product without risk of drying. Very effective on briskets and butts.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

At what internal temperature do most of you find best to remove the brisket from the cooler for carving? The one I did last Saturday went into the cooler at 190* and carved at 160*. Flavor was great but seemed a little dry to me. Guests loved it though. I'm still looking for brisket nirvana without having to put out for a Kobe!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
Solidkick

Neil, Question:
Did you spray before you foiled? Did your juice leak out of the foil?

About 160*-165* is where i like to slice and we haven't had a dry one yet. I wondered if you did something different than what we do.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i dont go by temp, but once it hits 180, i start checking for tenderness. A probe or instant read should go into the flat without resistance. Once thats done, i cooler it and slice anywhere above 140.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
At what internal temperature do most of you find best to remove the brisket from the cooler for carving? The one I did last Saturday went into the cooler at 190* and carved at 160*. Flavor was great but seemed a little dry to me. Guests loved it though. I'm still looking for brisket nirvana without having to put out for a Kobe!
spray the **** out of it before wrapping (just my opin) and when coolered down to 165 or so, slice.

if it is still dry, provide address and we will cook together and meat each other.

after J Minions tips, (more sugar for bark, fat side down and flip) I reached nirvana last week

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2004, 05:47 AM   #6
Neil

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try for the next tailgate.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Neil, I cook mine (packers always) fat cap down and when they're wrapped they go in the cooler fat cap up so the part without the fatcap get to sit in the juice. If I cook in foil at the end I also do this fatcap up.

Quote:
Flavor was great but seemed a little dry to me.
It's also quite possible that you didn't do anything wrong, I almost always cook briskets in pairs (too much time and fuel invested to do just one) and sometimes one is just not as good as the other.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
Neil

KC, I cooked it fat cap down and kept it that way the whole time. I'll try flipping next time when I wrap. As I stated above, the taste was great. There was a ton of juice drippings but the meat in the center seemed tough and dry almost as if it was steamed now that I think about it. Maybe because I injected with the Dr. Pepper marinade?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!