The beast

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well, it's been an interesting and fun weekend so far.

Fired up the beast on friday to do 14 butts, 540 wing pieces, a couple of fatties, and a couple of slabs of spares.

It took 2 hours to get the beast up to temp. Once there though it held rock steady with little fire tending to be done. I just need to start with a bigger fire. I want to get that warm up down to 1 hour and I will be happy. We are probably going to fit it with a propane burner that we can slide into the fire box. to both start the fire with and help with the initial heating up. Gotta run. Have to go back to the restaurant again. Will post more later.

Propane, isn't that, you know, "gas"? Next you're gonna tell us how well propane
heats up water for boiling.......

:shock:

Propane, isn't that, you know, "gas"? Next you're gonna tell us how well propane
heats up water for boiling.......

:shock:

Propane is only goode for making Bore-B-Q. It takes to much work to make gas cooked food taste good when charcoal and wood will do it for you. Some people say that it is good for quick grilling and that may be true. Maybe if I had ever had a gas grill or smoker I would appreciate it more but I never have. I have a friend that just got an indoor electric smoker. He was always a wood purest but he says that this thing is great and easy to use. I guess I would like to have a propane heater to put a giant wok on for stir fry and stuff. The stove top burners are not capable of getting the wok hot enough to really do stir fry.

I did not say I was cooking with it! Did I? I want to use it to heat the beast and start the charcoal and wood.

Anyway, what a weekend. All that cooking on Friday and then yesterday and today training the staff on how to do everything in uniform.

Here's what we do with the pulled pork sammichs. We proportioned it out in 4 oz. servings in baggies. We serve on a 6 inch french bun split, covered in garlic spread, and toasted on the grill. From there the pork goes on the bun, sprinkled with our signature seasoning salt, and drizzled with our homemade BBQ sauce. Damn! Incredible, slap your momma good. That was yesterday's introduction to the menu.

Today we added the wings. We smoked them on Friday. Out of the fridge we drop them into the deep fryer for about a minute. Not only does that heat it up, but it crisps up the skin. Then we bury it in our glaze and throw it in the pizza oven for at least 5 minutes to glaze the glaze. We went through over 150 wings today, so we must be doing something right. Gonna fire up the beast again on Wed. , do another 10 butts and 4 cases of wings this time. That is over 1,000 wing parts.

We then went back to the kitchen and turned the glaze into a hot and sweet glaze. Then we tried one more. A garlic butter glaze, that pretty much rocked.

It has been a fun weekend and I am glad that my partner talked me into going into the business.

Oh, I almost forgot. I had some friends get married recently and they asked me to do some pulled pork for their reception yesterday. I worked it in, and took all the supplies over and made them just like we do at the restaurant. I used their GAS grill to toast the buns, and everybody was creaming over them. Give it a try sometime. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

fARKING A awesome Greg - I gotta get up there to see your turf (don't take that the wrong way).

parrothead said:
I did not say I was cooking with it! Did I? I want to use it to heat the beast and start the charcoal and wood.

Do Not Feed Or Tease The Parrot Mod

:D

Back