The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
wjc261
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Rookie Mistakes

I am heading to my first contest (KCBS) and am wondering what the common rookie mistakes are or if anyone has compiled a list of the common mistakes rookies make at their first KCBS comp. I am sure I will figure out a couple of new ones

Thanks

Bill
wjc261 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
bob80001
On the road to being a farker

Not really mistakes, but there was a thread a couple months back about site setup tips. Might be a couple of good ideas to go over here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88874

Unread 09-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Putting something in the box other than the meat and correct garnish. Count your toothpicks and be careful with the foil! Only use green leaf, romaine, or iceberg lettuce and/or curly; flat parsley or cilantro.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Stick to your plan and your timeline. Don't get caught up in all the other things happening outside of your site.
FEC-100
Country Smokers Whole Hog
Weber kettle 22.5 w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle 22.5
Weber Smokey Joe
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Tooth picks and slow down. You will want to rush getting your boxes in on time and will end up turning in way early.
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
www.redlionspicyfoods.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The #1 mistake I've seen, time and time again, is the team getting very drunk. The
results afterwards vary, but the original mistake was drinking too much and not
thinking clearly. I saw one team get drunk enough they actually passed out asleep
at 5:30am and the first guy sorta began stumbling around just before 12:00noon.
They didnt make a single turnin that day.

6 pieces of meat or more. If you're putting big chunks of meat in the box (ala. a
money muscle or two [or three]), make sure you slice them so that there's at
least 6 pieces of those as well.

Nothing, and we mean NOTHING other than meat & garnish in the box. No flakes
of foil, no toothpicks, no little serving cups with sauce in it, no $20 bills.

Know that the turn-in time is a HARD deadline. 1 second late is a DQ.

Unread 09-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Sweet Breathe BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I wouldn't say there are common mistakes and wouldn't even focus on that b/c if you try so hard to avoid those "common" mistakes you're bound to make mistakes elsewhere. There are so many moving components that anything can go wrong at any time. I speak from experience b/c we were a rookie team this year.

In one contest I forgot a key ingredient for my chicken, in another we broke the tab on the turn in box, we put the garnish in the top side of the box rather than the bottom.

My best advice...be able to adapt and recover from mistakes b/c they are bound to happen.

Though I would have to agree with Lake Dogs...the drinking is something to look out for.
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Some really good advice here. We just did our 2nd KCBS last weekend, and for sure slow down. If your meat is done and resting, take a breath after chicken turn-ins. If you are like me, you will be pacing like a madman. Resist the urge to fill that box too early.

I also think an unspoken part of the comp is how well a team can function on turn-in morning after having little to no sleep. If you are hung over it only gets worse.

And finally, don't do what we did on our first outing, where we decided to modify our cooking method to try and get 2 butts and 2 briskys out of a single WSM, not having done it before in the backyard. Bad idea to alter your method at the contest IMO. Needless to say, we wound up pulling the extra cuts at 2am and letting the WSM do what it was designed to do, how it was designed to do it. Ugh.

Unread 09-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great thread...thanks to the OP and the responders (respondents?)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Default Well...

Not doing a practice cook and then being "surprised" by how things are different. Best advice I got was to do a practice cook and anything I needed from inside my house write down so I would be sure to have what I needed at the cook.

Good Luck...

One other thing...don't get to worked up about it....it's just BBQ...HAVE FUN

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDon View Post
Stick to your plan and your timeline. Don't get caught up in all the other things happening outside of your site.
I agree with Don. Sticking to you timeline (in writting) is huge. you WILL start second guessing yourself about 5-6AM.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

I did my first KCBS event last week - my rookie don'ts:

• Don't second guess yourself
  • Don't try and hit your timing too tight the first time out - having to pull something out of the cooker a little early is better than a DQ (we didn't get a DQ but we had a CLOSE turn in)
  • Don't make changes on the fly
  • Be prepared for uneven ground; bring shims for tables and cooker

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I think that a common mistake happens after turn-in. Folks assume that they will show up at a first comp and win the whole thing. When they don't get the big calls frustration sets in and they stop doing comps. Your first comp, IMO should be about getting your feet wet. As you do more you'll get more efficient and learn not to waste steps and you'll enjoy it more. The calls will come.

That's not to say that some teams don't come swing for the fences - and jack one out - on their first comp. But that's pretty rare. As with all things in life slow and steady wins the race.

This all comes from a loser who is probably trying to reationalize why my best finsh in two seasons is 3rd overall (not counting non-sanctioned events where I have done better)

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

have a turn in box check list. in pitmasters series #1 Tuffy forgot to sauce his ribs before turn in. fortunatly this got him a win. for me it has produced the opposite result.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Have reasonable expectations.
To date my team has competed once a year and each time we compete we have the same goals. #1, don't miss any turn-in times. #2, Don't finish DAL in any category.

Make sure your ribs are completely cut and there are at least 6 ribs. I turn in 8 because it looks better in the box (IMO).
Toothpicks. If using them, make sure they are clearly visible so you don't miss any, or count them as you pull them out.
Don't slice meat on foil or paper or anything that might attach itself to your turn in. (Last year the team next to us was DQ'd on an entry because there was a strip of foil on the bottom of a slice).
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->