The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
mcgrupp
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoking whole hog questions

I am going to be cooking a whole hog next weekend on a Meadow Creek Charcoal roaster, this is the 72" cooking with indirect heat. I have usually cooked spit style on my hogs so this seems alot more less interactive. Basically load your coals and hog close lid and let it go for about 10hrs. My concern here is the skin staying leathery and not crisping up. What would be some suggestions to making sure we have a nice skin? My initial thoughts are cook this thing at about 250-275 for 9hrs then bring the heat to 300-325 for another 1.5-2hrs to get the skin where we want it. Would this dry out at all? Thanks!
mcgrupp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My experience in WHole hogs is a bit sparse.... well like zero actually... but I'm thinking once you've had it going low and slow for that long, it's just going to remain rubber even if you jump up the temp... and then you risk spoiling the rest of the hog. Maybe the best think to do would be to slice off most of the belly crackling and cook that direct on a Santa Maria styule grill where you can regulate the height, to crisp it up... or at a pinch... slam it in a turkey fryer and serve on the side.

But actually I really would not know... I'm just guessing...
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
surgem7
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Put it in.....

belly side down. Half way thru flip it and you will have crisp skin. If that is what you want.
surgem7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

All the ones we have done on a MC have been in the 325 range the whole cook and the skin was crisp at the end

I assume your cooking the hog racing style as a split hog is hard to get in the cooker, cooking the hog sitting upright take a bit longer than laying one out flat Carolina style and doesnt dry out as fast IMO
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
grillzilla10
Full Fledged Farker

salt the skin
grillzilla10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillzilla10 View Post
salt the skin
that actuall sounds good
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Char-Griller Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Go to the Meadowcreek BBQ website, see if they have any tips for whole hog. I know a lot of guys up my way use the meadowcreek pits, they are local for me (built about 20 minutes from my house) and I am buying a pit in the spring (after getting my tax return) I can't wait.

Unread 09-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Barbecued whole hog isn't the same as rotisserie roasting - in my experience it's best to forget about the skin for a smoked hog. Leaving the skin side down for the whole cook allows it to act as a bowl and will keep the hog moist for the long cook. Turn it over and all the juices run out and you are likely to have dry meat.

Salting the skin and doing a final period of high direct heat will help approximate a turned hog, but for me it isn't worth the cost of the resulting drying of the loins and hams.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Barbecued whole hog isn't the same as rotisserie roasting - in my experience it's best to forget about the skin for a smoked hog. Leaving the skin side down for the whole cook allows it to act as a bowl and will keep the hog moist for the long cook. Turn it over and all the juices run out and you are likely to have dry meat.

Salting the skin and doing a final period of high direct heat will help approximate a turned hog, but for me it isn't worth the cost of the resulting drying of the loins and hams.
Which is why you should do what I thought you should do. Salt the skin anyways... duh... and get some off early without upsetting the rest of the beast, and give it a good bit of direct heat for some nice crackin' GEORGE and serve it up.... Yum...

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
mcgrupp
Got rid of the matchlight.

I appreciate the input I will update the thread after we finish the roast.
mcgrupp is offline   Reply With Quote