Protecting your stuff

moocow

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Seeing another Trailer stolen this morning make my stomach upset. It got me thinking about how we protect our stuff and how others might do it. I worry all the time about getting my trailer stolen. I guess the best thing you can do is have insurance, which we do. You may recover your money but won't help if you have some contests coming up. I always have a ball lock on mine and then always try to have a car parked in front of it so there is no way to get it out. Would it be to much work to remove a tire from one side and put it on a jack stand? At least they would have to work a bit harder to get it. What do you guys think about having your logos on your trailer? I know several teams who don't want them on there so people will not know what is in there. We have them on ours because we like it but if it did get stolen it would be easy to identify in the short term before they got a chance to strip the stickers off. Even when they peel them off you can still see where the paint was faded. It would take a paint job to conceal it. Another thin I do is to weld my name into the frame of all my smokers and trailers. Anyway, just wondering what others do.

my experience is only with briskets.... I got a lock for my smoker.... :becky:

But seriously, I take as much effort as I can to make my equipment safer. but in the end. If someone really wants your stuff, they are going to get it. No matter how many safety features you put up...

My solution is this I have 8 signs posted on my property to be aware of the German Sheppard’s each of my 4 kids have an electronic collar on them, the BBQ trailer is set inside the fence perimeter my house has a doggie door that leads into a chain link enclosure with a solenoid lock on the gate the gate is linked to a photo trigger in the driveway, you pass through the beam you unlock the gate. When I leave the house in the morning I turn the driveway trigger on at night they (the pups) can roam the property at will they are all trained ex military dogs 2 my youngest do SAR with me the older 2 just eat and poop and keep undesirables off the property 2 males and 2 females lightest on is 120 pounds I never lock my front door. I know this will not work for everyone but this works for me, last year I had a call from the sheriff and asked if I could come to the house and pen the dogs so they could arrest the two guys they had treed trying to hook my trailer up to their truck the only reason that I did not find them when I got home was the UPS truck made a delivery as they were putting it in the parcel box (I made a box that UPS, FedEx and such have a key for they can put large parcels in and lock back up) he heard them yelling to him to call the cops he (UPS driver) called the sheriff I took my time getting home :twisted:

I was going to post photos of the kids but I don't have them on a Http:\\ site just the PC so let me figured this thecno thing out and I will get them up

Thats funny right there ! Tree'd dudes.

Insurance is cheap for stuff like this so, lock the trailer up have insurance on it and hope for the best. The insurance should take care of the rest if needed.

Seeing another Trailer stolen this morning make my stomach upset. It got me thinking about how we protect our stuff and how others might do it. I worry all the time about getting my trailer stolen. I guess the best thing you can do is have insurance, which we do. You may recover your money but won't help if you have some contests coming up. I always have a ball lock on mine and then always try to have a car parked in front of it so there is no way to get it out. Would it be to much work to remove a tire from one side and put it on a jack stand? At least they would have to work a bit harder to get it. What do you guys think about having your logos on your trailer? I know several teams who don't want them on there so people will not know what is in there. We have them on ours because we like it but if it did get stolen it would be easy to identify in the short term before they got a chance to strip the stickers off. Even when they peel them off you can still see where the paint was faded. It would take a paint job to conceal it. Another thin I do is to weld my name into the frame of all my smokers and trailers. Anyway, just wondering what others do.

picture.php

Its definitely worth the time....

I am not to worried about my trailer being stolen from driveway but more when i stay at hotels.

The last time i stayed at a hotel i parked my trailer in the front by the lobby. It was a pain to manuever but i figured there would be more traffic there then any other spot. Probably wouldn't work for some of you with big trailers.

I left my Jambo pit on the street in NYC overnight. :crazy:

Safe part of town (west village), kept it hitched to my Jeep, locked the hitch and then boxed it in real tight with a car behind. No problems, was thinking it was pretty unlikely someone was going to have the tools and knowledge required to get that pit out.

This looks interesting:

http://www.lojack.com/construction/pages/construction-commercial.aspx

Rescue Ranger, I like your solution. I hate to hear about people being stolen from. I agree with many others that these people should be slow cooked and fed to the zoo animals. but then agiain why make them sick.

Well, there's one advantage to having it all locked up in the minivan.
shiner.gif

My pit lives in the garage. I have a coupler lock if I leave the contest site. I do not put myself in the position of staying in a motel with my pit hooked to the truck. So far so good.

Locks only keep honest people out, crooks will always find a way. My brother is a cop and said that criminals are using cordless angle grinders with cutoff wheels to cut through coupler U-locks nowadays. I don't know what the answer is, I still use a U-lock and pin lock combo...

Honest people don't steal chit that's why we have the word honest.
magnitudes of determination. We have to do what we can to break that determination. They want low hanging fruit most of the time. Buy the best locks available to protect your assets. I would buy a 200.00 lock if I needed to, to slow down thieves trying to steal my BBQ rig.

This is the one I use on my BullDog Coupler

most of this stuff is made out of cast from what i saw and all u need is a good blow from a sledge and its off

Last edited:
You can buy gps tracking devices that are all self contained and have a magnet on the back. They use the cellphone system to send text messages based on any number of things. You just charge it up and then stick it on under the car trailer or something..or you can have them permanently installed and run off a battery that charges when you have power. set them to start tracking when the vehicle is over 5mph and send you a text message or email when it leaves a certain defined "geofence"

http://www.portmansecurity.com/gps-tracking-personal-and-fleet-vehicles.php

Probably the best bet for actually getting your stuff back. You get a text message or an email or even a call on your phone if the stuff moves and then you can tell the police exactly where it is.

Paint info on the roof to id it if stolen. Thieves won't look up there and usually of side are painted roof may not be. S

Back