• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I am in a BBQ dilemma

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a baby shower Im cooking for october third. That is a sunday. Well that saturday there is a bbq festival in atl ga. I really want to attend the event but dont want to compromise the meat. Is there a good way to reheat ribs, butt and brisket?

Yep, I just did it.
I cooked 80+ lbs of butts a week in advance, sealed them in food saver bags, and reheated the following weekend in boiling water on my turkey fryer. Works great, and tastes like it just came off the pit!
If you don't have a vacu-sealer machine, it is a worthwhile investment.

I do have a foodsaver. But did you just dump all the meat in water? What about any seasoning?

I would bet you just put the meat in the sealed in the bags into the boiling water.

The food saver bags are designed to be boiled to reheat the food you put into them.

Ok, I thought you were just using the bag to keep it fresh. That sounds like it will work.

I would bet you just put the meat in the sealed in the bags into the boiling water.

The food saver bags are designed to be boiled to reheat the food you put into them.

Correctamundo.
Put the sealed bags in boiling water. If they are frozen it takes quite awhile for them to heat up. Works best if they are thawed or never frozen.
I did 4 lb bags, and I think it would have been much faster if it was 2 lb bags.

If it's just one week, no need to freeze the bags. By the time you got them
frozen, you'd by pulling them out to thaw anyway.
SJ

It's never as good rewarmed though.

Maybe leave the event early, 400North, then cook overnight. She is worth staying up all night for. Serve the real deal.

I dont know. On my cooker over night cooks are a dread. Its not air tight and thin metal. Temp control can be a pain.

the bag and boil thing works great. to me the meat tastes just as good if not better. for sure i would not mess up the baby shower for anything.

Caution when using bag & boil. If you leave the bags in too long, the meat becomes rubbery.

I do this a lot and the meat always comes out great.

However, I put the bags in when the water is still cold. By the time the water boils, the meat is warmed through.

If it's just one week, no need to freeze the bags. By the time you got them frozen, you'd by pulling them out to thaw anyway.

Personally, I would not go a whole week with food I am serving without freezing it. Pull the meat, and put in bags. Use a scale to keep the bags as even as possible for reheating, and make the bags as FLAT as possible or you'll have reheated Q around a ball of frozen. Place all the bags in a tub of ice water to get as cold as possible, and THEN throw in the freezer. You want the state change to be as fast as possible. Use a dedicated freezer if you have one. Four days before you need them, transfer from freezer to fridge. Get the water boiling first and then add the bags. Remove when soft and hot.

My experience and $0.02.

dmp

Back