MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default My first Brisket......Looking for some advice

This morning as I walked through the Piggly Wiggly, what do I see. Oh Yeah an 8# CAB briskie, all for me. So I scoop one up at off to the kitchen I go. I have read, everyhting on here that my old, mass of gray matter can absorb and am looking for a couple of quick tips and or opinions.

1.) Do I trim off any fat before the rub down begins?

2.) Am I looking at a flat, no point attached? Seems that way to me.

3.) I'm thinking, salt, pepper, corriander, Montreal steak seasoning for the rub. Sound simple?

4.) Want to smoke at 250* over hickory and cherry, maybe some apple. Now which cooker UDS, or WSM?

Havent's decided on a full smoke until 200* or foil with broth at 160*. I will let the alchohol gods decide.

Just loooking to get out of the gate and finish something that is wonderful BBQ.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove

Last edited by Bluesman; 07-11-2022 at 02:31 AM..
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

You got, basically, a big flat. I cook fat side down (heresy, I know!) so I don't usually trim the fat unless there is a really thick cap. It's all going to the bottom the cooker or water pan anyway.

I'd lose the coriander for the first cook. S&P and Montreal will season it well. Pick one of your fruit woods for flavor - the meat doesn't pick up that many flavors. Use some oak for "heat" if you have some.

You don't need broth if you wrap. Just use some apple juice or water. At 250 you'll be a while getting to 160 so unless you are going to be there all night you will want to foil it.

Good luck. I'm sure others will chime in and by the time you start cooking you'll be confused as all heck!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

You will get a lot of different answers, but here is mine. When I cook brisket, I only trim the fat off of the top where I want the bark to form. Other than that, I leave the fat on during cooking. I cook it fat cap down.

As far as seasonings or cooker choice, the seasonings you listed sound good to me. Use what you like. As far as cooker, use the one that can hold the temp you need the longest without tending it.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
leanza
Babbling Farker

I agree, lose the coriander.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Thanks Guys,

Trimmed some fat from the top and made a cut to find the grain later. Rubbed with S&P and Montreal. Have it in the fridge resting right now. I'm guessing 8# flat at 250 on the UDS should go about 10-12 hours. What would be your guess for time? ANd should I let it sit the fridage over night or is that to long?
Kitchen stove

Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

The brisket will be fine over night. I do this all the time with my seasoned meats for the smoker. On a low and slow cook I believe the time is normally 1-1/2 to 2 hrs a lb. However last weekend I made a small 5lb flat that went 12 hrs on my wsm at 220*! I did not foil mine until the last couple hours because I did not think it would ever be done! I did foil with some beef broth and to my surprise it turned out great. I really though that I had killed this one and it would be dried out. Brisket for me has been one of the hardest things to make well! Good luck BM!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Love those bigger flats---I'd cook it a bit hotter(300+) degrees and wrap when the color is good---probably done in 5hrs or so--let it rest then enjoy!!
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE

Last edited by 2Fat; 09-18-2010 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

I might be totally wrong, but that last picture sure looks like a whole brisket with some of the flat cut off.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Please do NOT - I repeat - DO NOT LET THIS SIT IN THE FRIDGE AND DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU OTHERWISE.

While a basic (SPICE) rub is alright to leave on - and by the way nix the broth - montreal or salts should not be left on.... its pointless of not damaging.

Anyone who disagrees (and don't take this personal) simply has retarded tastes buds or tastes such crap in comparison they do not know good brisket when they taste it.

Once again... nothing personal, they are just not in the proper frame of mind and should make spaghetti the rest of their lives.

IF YOU READ THIS POST AND ARE OFFENDED BECAUSE YOU WOULD LEAVE IT ON --- PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not read the posts as frankly, I could care less what people have to say... I mean even if they agree with me... they are wrong... so if you take offense to my saying your stupid (which I am - but not officially) then please accept my apologies and I didn't mean to say you were stupid... uh... at least to your face... I do reserve the RIGHT to PM anyone and tell them you are stupid though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Thanks Guys,

Trimmed some fat from the top and made a cut to find the grain later. Rubbed with S&P and Montreal. Have it in the fridge resting right now. I'm guessing 8# flat at 250 on the UDS should go about 10-12 hours. What would be your guess for time? ANd should I let it sit the fridage over night or is that to long?

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

If It was me I would put salt on it and leave itin the fridge for awhile.
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
This morning as I walked through the Piggly Wiggly, what do I see. Oh Yeah an 8# CAB briskie, all for me. So I scoop one up at off to the kitchen I go. I have read, everyhting on here that my old, mass of gray matter can absorb and am looking for a couple of quick tips and or opinions.

1.) Do I trim off any fat before the rub down begins?

2.) Am I looking at a flat, no point attached? Seems that way to me.

3.) I'm thinking, salt, pepper, corriander, Montreal steak seasoning for the rub. Sound simple?

4.) Want to smoke at 250* over hickory and cherry, maybe some apple. Now which cooker UDS, or WSM?

Havent's decided on a full smoke until 200* or foil with broth at 160*. I will let the alchohol gods decide.

Just loooking to get out of the gate and finish something that is wonderful BBQ.

Take the beef broth and empty it into a large vessel.

Add enough salt so as to make the sodium level 30%. You want a 30% ratio so as to make the meat moist. Make sure that the injection is at room temp.

Let the meat come to room temp.

Inject it "with the grain," remembering that the more you can inject, the more flavor you'll have.

Add a rub. Watch the sodium levels. I make my own, but like Plowbows and Todd's Dirt: both are excellent. If using the dirt, remember: less is more.

Cook ala Myron Mixon @ 350 until the inside temp is 205 (I tell you this as a JOS grad).

You will LOVE the results!

Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

While waiting for replys I, rubbed with S&P, Montreal and have it in the fridge. This happened between posts 3 and beyond. So I guess I am going to get what I am going to get. In any event, I have cataloged everone's advice for use the next time, and the next time and the next tme. I really did not want to wait until later in the day, because if the fridge was right, than I lost a day and tomorrow is the only time I can do the Brisket. My UDS Smokin' Bucky is loaded and ready for fire. This will happen in the early am Sunday morning. Can't do it tonight, High School Football game and then drinkls with the neighbors are on the agenda. I will post a seperate thread tomorrow with the results......Boy hope it doesn't suck

Thanks to all
Kitchen stove

Old 09-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

It'll be great!
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bluesman, it will be fine bro. You can try some different things next time but this one will be just fine. Look forward to your results tomorrow. Enjoy the game and the adult bevs tonight.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
btcg
Babbling Farker

Do it as I told you and you'll get professional results.