The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Meadowcreek PR60 users please respond

Hey Y'all, looking to see who might be firing up a Meadowcreek PR60 out there. I am looking at the cost and cooking differences between the PR60 (charcoal and wood fired pig roaster) and a smaller offset smoker (SQ36).

I have heard that you can do butts, ribs, brisket and chicken on the PR60 with the proper equipment added (raised second grate, charcoal pan etc). The PR60 with an added second grate would give me approximately 2800 square inches of rack space for anything from a 250 lb hog, to chicken, brisket, butts, etc. The PR60, for those who are not familiar, is a charcoal/wood fired pig roaster with a drip pan/deflector between the grate and the fire. The smaller offset smoker would only give me about 1000 square inches of cooking space with an added second rack. However, that has an offset firebox which I like.

The PR60 with the items I would add retails for about $1,420. The SQ36 would cost around $1,285.

I am leaning towards getting the PR60 but would love input from anyone using one who has done anything other than its designed use, which is pig roasting. Sorry for the long post, and I am not trying to promote their stuff. I live close to where they are made and sold, I will be getting one of their pits in the spring, would love some advice from guys who might be familiar. Saw a lot of Meadowcreek pits in use at a local comp New Holland Summerfest 2010.

Unread 09-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I've never heard of one of these things. Do you have a picture?

And for the price that you are talking about there are a ton of good smokers out there.

You could buy a Weber performer and a WSM for that price. Just my .02

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I was going to put up a link but didn't want it to look like I'm a shill for the company. Here is a link to their site for each item.

http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/PC_smallgroups.php

http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/PC_pigRoasters.php

1/4 welded steel, built to last pretty much forever. Long term investment for me as I am looking ahead to competing/vending.

Unread 09-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Have you talked with Smokinit? Here is his for sale.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=92206

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice looking cookers for sure.

Unread 09-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjenkins1 View Post
Have you talked with Smokinit? Here is his for sale.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=92206

Jeff
I will for sure, not yet in a position to buy but will pick his brain to see what all it can do. Thanks.

Unread 09-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

sq36 is an offset stickburner. ive used one, and it's an awesome cooker. The pr60, which i have no experience with as of yet, uses charcoal and wood chunks. under a pan

Unread 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Are you planning on doing a lot of whole pigs? The PR60 is a real charcoal hog for butts and briskets.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

hmmm, excellent point Slamdunkpro, but that's why I am throwing the question out there. It is probably too big to fire up for just backyard Que-ing unless one is doing a major get together. I guess I like the idea of being ABLE to do a whole hog but I can't foresee a time in the NEAR future where I would be doing that a whole lot. I have a dream to host a pig pickin' in my backyard for friends and family. The pr60 could make that happen while the sq36 would not. BUT, I have to look at what I'm primarily going to be doing, which is backyard stuff for the short term. pr60 might have to come later....well, I have all winter the think it over and keep my UDS going. Thanks again all.

Unread 09-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

I am buying a PR60 mainly for Butts and Briskets! Nothing else on the market with that kind of capacity for the price. With good air management, I have been told by numerous folks you can get 10+ hours on 40 pounds of charcoal at 225-250!

I also like the ability to cook a whole hog if needed!

Pete
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote