MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Default Texas Brisket Rub....what went wrong?

So i have a copy of a trusty, well known, BBQ cook book. its not Eat, Love, and Pray, but its title is similar. It has a simple Texas Brisket rub recipe in it. Pretty much just salt, pepper, and paprika. Okay, thats all it calls for. I have, many times, done pork butts with just salt and pepper to an awesome result. I tried this simple recipe on brisket today and it came out horrible. The pepper was so strong and overwhelming i almost just pitched the whole flat. I am not from Texas, so please tell me that is not how they flavor thier beef in Texas and i did something wrong even tho i followed the recipe!

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually just use Canadian/Montreal Steak Rub on brisket - but if you put on too much, its too much.

We learn from experience.
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

yeah, i used as much a would normally use of say, Bovine Bold. Maybe it was to much. I threw it together last minute out of desperation. I am reluctant to even try to use it in less concentration tho.

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build

Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Just tossing out some ideas. First off the BP, I love the stuff and have done briskets with nothing more than a light coat of EVOO and a heavy coat of BP and love the flavor, just like the black pepper bacon. Even goes very nicely on a Prime Rib.
I might be going out on a limb here, but maybe the paprika could be the culprit. Maybe it was too much and cause the BP and Salt to cake up too much and witht the temp, burned up. I've used paprika on briskets, but really only just for some added color, nowhere near enough for it to add any flavor whatsoever.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

What was horrible? taste, texture, dry, mushy, too hot, too salty? or maybe you just got a hunk of meat that was starting to go bad.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Give us a little more information. Are we talking about black pepper here? What was the ratio of pepper to salt to paprika? I imagine if you put the rub on as heavily as Bovine Bold, which has a relatively small percentage of black pepper, and yours had a high percentage of black pepper, that would account for the overwhelming pepper taste.

This is Bovine Bold's ingredient list:
Salt, Brown Sugar, Spices, including Black Pepper, Chili Powder, Paprika, Dehydrated Garlic and Onion, Worcestershire powder, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Turmeric, Oregano, Extractives of Paprika and not more than 2% Calcium Stearate added to prevent caking.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
What was horrible? taste, texture, dry, mushy, too hot, too salty? or maybe you just got a hunk of meat that was starting to go bad.
The black pepper was just comletely overwhelming. The meat was good, the smoke ring was nice, i just had to shave all bark off the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
Give us a little more information. Are we talking about black pepper here? What was the ratio of pepper to salt to paprika? I imagine if you put the rub on as heavily as Bovine Bold, which has a relatively small percentage of black pepper, and yours had a high percentage of black pepper, that would account for the overwhelming pepper taste.

This is Bovine Bold's ingredient list:
Salt, Brown Sugar, Spices, including Black Pepper, Chili Powder, Paprika, Dehydrated Garlic and Onion, Worcestershire powder, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Turmeric, Oregano, Extractives of Paprika and not more than 2% Calcium Stearate added to prevent caking.

Yes black Pepper, Malabar Fine Ground. mix is 1/4 cup Black Pepper 1/4cup Salt 1/3 cup paprika

Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Might just be a not so good rub recipe. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and what not. And, I thought "real" texas brisket used coriander, but I might be wrong.

Another thing to take into consideration is how dilute the pepper was. For example a half cup of pepper alone is obviously overpowering if it's all your using, eventhough it doesn't seem like that much. It makes up 100% of the flavor profile. Take the same half cup of pepper and add it to another 2 cups of other spices and, obviously, the strength of the pepper-ness fades quite a bit because it's now only 20% of the flavor profile. Basically, the flavor/strength of any spice is directly related to the percentage of the rub that it makes up.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Might just be a not so good rub recipe. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and what not. And, I thought "real" texas brisket used coriander, but I might be wrong.

Another thing to take into consideration is how dilute the pepper was. For example a half cup of pepper alone is obviously overpowering if it's all your using, eventhough it doesn't seem like that much. It makes up 100% of the flavor profile. Take the same half cup of pepper and add it to another 2 cups of other spices and, obviously, the strength of the pepper-ness fades quite a bit because it's now only 20% of the flavor profile. Basically, the flavor/strength of any spice is directly related to the percentage of the rub that it makes up.

this is how dilute the pepper was "1/4 cup Black Pepper 1/4cup Salt 1/3 cup paprika" Roughly half the amount called for in the book. its been considered. i am wondering why anyone would use that much pepper. I used it because it was suggested by a fairly reputable BBQ book. Peace, Love, and BBQ.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

how big was the brisket?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
how big was the brisket?
luckily it was just a 7lb flat. and i didnt even use all the rub

Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

That is a lot of pepper. I use two tbs at the most with any recipe.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I think the culprit was that the pepper was fine ground. There is a huge difference in the total weight of a 1/4 cup of fine ground pepper vs coarse grind. Same as salt, which is why most people use kosher instead of fine ground salt.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I think your right ^^^^^^

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree with Saiko about the fine grind pepper being the problem. Try to get some Cafe' medium grind pepper and also never use more than 1 part pepper to two parts salt . It's a live and learn thing.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote