The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
co7bbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Correctly Aged Wood

So I have just begun to go from backyard bbq enthusiast to stepping it up a notch and starting a competition team and even a BBQ Joint (restaurant). I Just joined the Brethren, Ive been in the fire service about 15 years now, and it is just the same feeling. Everyone is out to help the other and take care of their own people.

So here is one of my first "probie","rookie", "recruit" questions: Ive heard different opinions on the proper age wood should be before using it in competition bbq or just for smoking meat in general. I know "green" wood is no good, but is there a certain "age" the wood should have before using to smoke meat? And is there a time when wood is too "aged" to use?
co7bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

all depends on your cooker--some cooks(danny g) prefer green wood in their machines--decide on your cooker b4 you decide on you wood
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

I would agree it has alot to do with your smoker and cooking temps. If your using higher pit temps you can use green wood with little problem.

I'm actually prefer fruit woods, cut, split and seasoned for 3 months. Three months gives me anywhere from 15-20% moisture. Hardwoods on the other hand are usually a year out until I use them(which is rare). I use a wood moisture meter to determine internal moisture(wood is split and reading is taken, if you test wood while is seasoning you need to split it again to get an inside reading)

I my experience any wood that has been cut and stored for over three year gets tossed.....funky stuff starts to happen.

just my 2 cents...
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
co7bbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Well Ive been using a typical weber backyard grill in the past, and for all my backyard fun. But for the competition, we have not bought yet, but I believe we have decided on a Stumps Cooker. I realize a lot has to do with the type of wood also.
co7bbq is offline   Reply With Quote