ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cooking in advance for festivals/events

Hello all,

Question, for those of you that do large events/festivals how far in advance do you normally cook your butts and briskets (if you do briskets)? I'm thinking of doing a 1 day event from 9Am-7PM and want to do my ribs onsite. I can't get there until 5AM to set up, I'll have plenty of time that morning to get several racks rolling, but did not want to kill myself with the butts and briskets.

Any advise/input would be greatly appreciated.

James
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I run my rig the night before. Then in the morning I will pan them up and put the meat in either coolers or in my warmer box.
The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2014 Sponsor of Degüello BBQ, Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Same here. I time things out so that the butts and briskets are done when it's time to put the ribs on. Butts and briskets can rest and go through final prep in the time it takes to cook the ribs. Might be a bit rough with a 05:00 setup time, but that's part of this crazy business!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

My HD SOP's document my cooling, freezing, thawing and reheating processes so it's all legal for me. If I didn't have NSF fridge/freezer I couldn't do it here in MI. May be different in TN. I often cook and pull Wednesday to sell Saturday and it just lkeeps in the fridge. I can store about 30 full pans in each fridge. Can't sell that much thru my window in a day.

Unread 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
My HD SOP's document my cooling, freezing, thawing and reheating processes so it's all legal for me. If I didn't have NSF fridge/freezer I couldn't do it here in MI. May be different in TN. I often cook and pull Wednesday to sell Saturday and it just lkeeps in the fridge. I can store about 30 full pans in each fridge. Can't sell that much thru my window in a day.
We are not doing this yet, so inexperienced question here: Am I understanding this correctly that you are cooking and then serving 3 days later? I don't have a safety concern here , but a WOF concern. Is there no "left over" flavor, Or is there a storage temp that retards oxidative rancidity?

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Allow me to decode for you...

Your health department has specific requirements for how fast you must chill hot food to what holding temps, and how long you are allowed to hold that food before throwing it out. There are similar requirements for going the opposite way; heating chilled food to safe temp and holding it for serving.

Residential refrigeration equipment typically does not have the capacity to cool big hot pork butts fast enough to meet these requirements, so most HD's simply demand that commercial kitchens only use NSF stamped equipment rather than try to do technical tests to see if your fridge/freezers are good enough. NSF is a testing organization that certifies commercial food prep products meet government requirements just like UL certifies consumer goods.

As far as the quality of the product, yes it will not be as good as it would be fresh from the smoker after a 12 hour cook, but it will still be quite good and more than adequate for vending. There is simply no way you can succeed at high volume vending unless you precook. Being able to re-heat to meet demand is the difference between staying profitable and financial disaster when you are at the whim of crowd attendance and weather.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm HD compliant, so I cook it a couple days ahead and re-heat on site in my FEC 500.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I'm HD compliant, so I cook it a couple days ahead and re-heat on site in my FEC 500.
Are you pulling the butts apart prior to cooling or do they go in the fridge whole? Also, when reheating do you add any liquid (apple juice, water) to keep the meat moist, or is that not needed? Just trying to get a feel on how you reheat and keep moist. Thanks

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
Extreme BBQ Trailer 8.5' x 22'
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

You'll have a better product if you hold off pulling until just before you use it. If you break down the butts in advance, you'll probably have to add some type of moisture to the pans of pulled meat to combat drying. Stock, AJ, even water will do in a pinch.

Our typical vending method is to bring pre-cooked butts wrapped in foil in coolers on ice. We take a big stick burner on an open trailer and reheat them onsite as needed, then take them out and chop them up in view of the public. Usually we'll prep a couple pans ahead, so you have the opportunity to reinforce the flavor with a fresh hit of smoke if desired by simply putting the uncovered pans back in the smoker.

The public sees big chunks of hot pork coming out of the smoker and being processed into sandwiches. As far as they know, you stayed up all night cooking on site. ;)

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky1008 View Post
Are you pulling the butts apart prior to cooling or do they go in the fridge whole? Also, when reheating do you add any liquid (apple juice, water) to keep the meat moist, or is that not needed? Just trying to get a feel on how you reheat and keep moist. Thanks
When I vend, I use whole butts. When catering I pull ahead then add apple juice and rub. 265 degrees for a full pan for 2.5 - 3 hours to heat.

Unread 09-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Our typical vending method is to bring pre-cooked butts wrapped in foil in coolers on ice.
this is illegal in MI. Need to check with HD in other States. Here we can only transport raw meat in coolers and can only have it it coolers for a max of 4 hours. To cook, chill and reheat here we must have NSF rated commercial fridges and freezers.

Unread 09-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
this is illegal in MI. Need to check with HD in other States. Here we can only transport raw meat in coolers and can only have it it coolers for a max of 4 hours. To cook, chill and reheat here we must have NSF rated commercial fridges and freezers.
Exactly why I have an NSF fridge on my trailer, NSF coolers in my shop and 2 NSF pits (FEC500).

Unread 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Well that sucks. The HD has never given us any grief here.

Unless you power your reefers while under way somehow you'd have a less-safe condition than using ice if you transport any significant distance. Sometimes HD regs are pretty dumb!

Unread 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Well that sucks. The HD has never given us any grief here.

Unless you power your reefers while under way somehow you'd have a less-safe condition than using ice if you transport any significant distance. Sometimes HD regs are pretty dumb!
I power mine under way in my trailer. I LOVES MY HONDA generator!

Unread 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I power mine under way in my trailer. I LOVES MY HONDA generator!
How do you handle the exhaust? Do you mount the genset on the tongue outside the trailer?