ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #31
HawgNationBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
Are you kidding me? Help me understand the value your comment had in this conversation?
The value of my comment is that it comes down to “respect”. Whether you are at a competition, TV event, child’s baseball game, or any other event, it’s called good sportsmanship. Eat some humble pie regardless of how great you are or how great you think you are.

To leave an event early is disrespectful to the organizer and the other teams, in addition to poor sportsmanship. The antics on TV were poor sportsmanship coupled with the comments to “agree to disagree” about leaving because I bought the meat, I paid the fee, and it’s my ball and im going home. It’s all in the same context; there is a correlation between the two. To me, it says “we are better than everyone else, so go fark yourself”. We can agree to disagree.
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #32
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Tough call. I left early from a contest this year to coach my kids little league game. A team-mate did stay for awards. I think its OK once in a great while if discussed with the contest organizer in advance and check in before you leave.
Chris, for the first time I had to leave early this year from a contest. I told the reps and the organizers about it on Friday. I appoligized to them and they said they understood. Does this mean I bad. No just had to go.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #33
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin View Post
Oh wait, is this the same team on BBQ Pit master that had the childish temper tantrum? Say no more.

that wasn't necessary... I'd take the Slabs in my camp any day. Unless you know them, I wouldn't judge them... Just my opinion...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #34
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Tough call. I left early from a contest this year to coach my kids little league game. A team-mate did stay for awards. I think its OK once in a great while if discussed with the contest organizer in advance and check in before you leave.

Trust me, I understand folks points. You did have a team rep for awards. What I have seen is teams leaving because they had a long drive ahead of them. They had to leave to go to another engagement, etc. To me, that doesn't show the contest any respect when it's those kind of reasons. Sponsors support contests and rewards are part of the contest is how I see it. If it wasn't for these sponsors, the contests wouldn't go on. To not have teams there, is a slight... to me at least...

Then again. Ihave seen a team leave after they realized they weren't going to win the GC. That is just a lack of class to do that... Of course, that is just my opinion as well.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Unread 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

What about when a team leaves prior to awards so they can drive 4-5 hours to go to a Sat-Sunday comp? Just one example.

I don't think we should judge when a member of a team leaves prior to awards. Maybe they had something planned before and the organizer asked them to enter anyway and agreed but said they'd have to leave right after the last turn in. It sure would be nice if they left some team representation there when possible though.

I guess I just don't see a problem if a cook leaves assuming they have a legit reason (leaving cause they are hot and tired or cold and wet wouldn't be a legit reason). However, I do agree it's pretty rude to fold up your lawn chair, walk out and fire up the truck during the awards.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #36
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

In our case we're talking about 15 minutes more, at the max. As long as the announcer isn't acting like a fool (this has happened) and wasting everyones time I can't see it's any big deal. When I was commuting from San Antonio to Houston area cooks I always waited until the end of awards before hitting the road. That was always between 3-4 hours ride home and awards usually start between 5-5:30pm. Most of the ones I'm complaining about are the ones headed back to camp to drink beer. I'm also one of the first guys out the gate even after awards are all over and congratulations given.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #37
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Çan someone explain why it takes over 3 hours to tabulate scores and print them out and organize an awards ceremony?

This is 2010. There's sub-$1,000 laptops out there and with a $150 printer and a pack of paper, you should have the scores tabbed and printed in less than 90 minutes.

I've seen it where the awards started 15-20 minutes late and the hosts/organizers couldn't even hand out the trophies and checks correctly. How hard is it to stack up 5 trophies in 4 stacks? That means there needs to be a chicken, rib, pork and brisket stack.

I can understand why some people have left early. Respect goes both ways. Come Saturday afternoon, most of us have been up with a few naps since early Friday morning. We've got a camp to pack up or have packed up and are ready for a shower, non-BBQ meal, a couch and the remote control.

I do enjoy the awards and even go to comps just to spectate. But it doesn't need to drag on.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #38
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've only done one KCBS comp and as far as I could tell no one left early.
As far as our PNWBA comps go...we're a pretty close knit bunch up here and tend to stick around and root for our friends and fellow competitors.
You'll see a lotta huggin', backslappin', and handshakin' goin' on up here for the winners!
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #39
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
As far as our PNWBA comps go...we're a pretty close knit bunch up here and tend to stick around and root for our friends and fellow competitors.
You'll see a lotta huggin', backslappin', and handshakin' goin' on up here for the winners!
Now that's what I want to hear!!
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
smoken don
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
And thats the way it should be!
uds and proud of it
Never confuse kindness for weakness
smoken don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #41
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Damn straight JD!

Every comp I have ever gone to or cooked in, this is the same thing I saw, especially amongst the Brethren.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #42
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
Çan someone explain why it takes over 3 hours to tabulate scores and print them out and organize an awards ceremony?

This is 2010. There's sub-$1,000 laptops out there and with a $150 printer and a pack of paper, you should have the scores tabbed and printed in less than 90 minutes.

I've seen it where the awards started 15-20 minutes late and the hosts/organizers couldn't even hand out the trophies and checks correctly. How hard is it to stack up 5 trophies in 4 stacks? That means there needs to be a chicken, rib, pork and brisket stack.

I can understand why some people have left early. Respect goes both ways. Come Saturday afternoon, most of us have been up with a few naps since early Friday morning. We've got a camp to pack up or have packed up and are ready for a shower, non-BBQ meal, a couch and the remote control.

I do enjoy the awards and even go to comps just to spectate. But it doesn't need to drag on.
It's the entry and verification of scores that takes all the time, the KCBS system is a single thread entry system (one person / one computer / one score at a time). It's pretty slow. Then all the results have to be printed out one category per page plus each team's individual scores, collated and stapled. Not every event has access to a high speed collating copier. If you have a large number of teams and a couple of auxiliary categories it can take an hour just to print the results.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #43
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin View Post
The value of my comment is that it comes down to “respect”. Whether you are at a competition, TV event, child’s baseball game, or any other event, it’s called good sportsmanship. Eat some humble pie regardless of how great you are or how great you think you are.

To leave an event early is disrespectful to the organizer and the other teams, in addition to poor sportsmanship. The antics on TV were poor sportsmanship coupled with the comments to “agree to disagree” about leaving because I bought the meat, I paid the fee, and it’s my ball and im going home. It’s all in the same context; there is a correlation between the two. To me, it says “we are better than everyone else, so go fark yourself”. We can agree to disagree.
How long did that incident last on TV? In that length of time, and from however many posts from Diva that you've read, you can assume that you know the character of a team? Pretty bold in my opinion.

I'm fortunate to know theslabs.com. I can tell you, that I've yet to talk to anyone that knows Kyle that wasn't shocked by what they saw on TV. I can tell you that I've seen them at awards, at a contest where they didn't do as well as they'd hoped, and they sat there and cheered for their friends and displayed more sportsmanship and courtesy than you have by making some of the assumptions that you posted in black and white for the world to read.

The comments above are from "member Jorge". As a moderator I feel that this whole branch of the thread is off topic and offers nothing to the original intent of the OP. The only reason that I didn't scrub it myself is that I'm not certain that I'm being objective due to my friendship with all for the folks from The Slabs (Kyle, Steph, Val, Brent, Mom, and Grandma:). If another moderator determines that this needs to be scrubbed according to the forum rules, it's not going to hurt my feelings in the least.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #44
Scottie
Babbling Farker

welcome back Jorge...

We changed the locks though...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Unread 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #45
HawgNationBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
How long did that incident last on TV? In that length of time, and from however many posts from Diva that you've read, you can assume that you know the character of a team? Pretty bold in my opinion.

I'm fortunate to know theslabs.com. I can tell you, that I've yet to talk to anyone that knows Kyle that wasn't shocked by what they saw on TV. I can tell you that I've seen them at awards, at a contest where they didn't do as well as they'd hoped, and they sat there and cheered for their friends and displayed more sportsmanship and courtesy than you have by making some of the assumptions that you posted in black and white for the world to read.

The comments above are from "member Jorge". As a moderator I feel that this whole branch of the thread is off topic and offers nothing to the original intent of the OP. The only reason that I didn't scrub it myself is that I'm not certain that I'm being objective due to my friendship with all for the folks from The Slabs (Kyle, Steph, Val, Brent, Mom, and Grandma:). If another moderator determines that this needs to be scrubbed according to the forum rules, it's not going to hurt my feelings in the least.

Jorge,

With all due respect, please re-read my comments and what I specifically based my response on. They are all well within the thread topic. I made no assumptions and used facts dictated by the individual team. I think you may have a personal bias against this thread and what was seen on TV. Really, do you think giving the finger is acceptable in a competition or on TV when you get disqualified? C’mon. It goes to the thread topic of leaving a KCBS event early, and other comments within the thread about respect for other teams and organizers, as well as good sportsmanship. You have based your comments on other events not mentioned within this thread.

I would just delete it or scrub it; whatever the correct terminology is.
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote