ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Buckscent
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Ribs?????????

OK, I have had my butts and chickens down pat for a long time. I am now trying ribs, I did my first pork ribs yesterday and although they came out OK, they where burnt and dried on the ends maybe about 3 ribs in on the ends. I pulled the membrane and noticed a piece of meat, like a flap that came over the ribs qand that part got really black. the middle of the bibs, although dark on the outside where very good tasing but not much to look at :). I cooked 4 hours at 200 - 215 there was about a 20 minute span the smoker got to 350. How do you keep the ends from burning? Do you wrap all the ribs? just the ends? Also, do you cut that "Flap" out before cooking? Thanks for all the help
Buckscent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I definitely cut that flap off - I call it the skirt meat - and I also trim the full slabs down to the 'knuckle' which is called trimming them 'St. Louis Style'.

What kind of a cooker are you using? I usually find that if I have the ends over-done them I have placed them on the grate with the ends too close to the edge of the barrel where the hottest air gets to them. Moving them back so that the entire rack is in the 'safe zone' helps ensure they get done more evenly . . . although you will find that since the end is thinner than the middle, it's always more done anyway. I do like that meat though - it's like pork jerky! Yum!

Keep on trying! Practice always helps - and the best part is you get to eat your way to the perfect ribs! :-)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

I trim spares into St Louis ribs, flap off. Cook on a UDS @235*. Nothing burnt in 41/2 to 5 hours of cooking. I think that 350* spike might be the culprit. I don't sauce until the end, if at all.

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

What were you cooking on and what was the meats relationship to the fire?
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I have ruined more than a few pieces of meat by allowing temp spikes.

Unread 09-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Dependin on how long the "spike" lasted, I agree that could be your culprit. However, it could also be too much sugar in a rub or sauce or, as Qansasjayhawq (go Tigers!) suggested, you may have an uneven fire or hot spot in your cooker your thermo's not picking up. On that same note, are you sure your thermo's accurate?
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
What were you cooking on and what was the meats relationship to the fire?
What he said. What are you cooking on? I use a UDS or off set on a grill. 225* 3.5 to 4 hrs no foil.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast Red Thermapen

Got butt ? Smoke it !!
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Buckscent
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks guy's... I am using a bubba grill 250R with the rib box. I guess I need to check my thermometers... How do you recognize hot spots in the smoker? Just like I did when things burn? Does anyone foil ribs 1/2 way in the smoke???
Buckscent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

One way to check for hot spots in your grill is to get your thremometer as a steady 350* and then place some refrigerator biscuits throughout your grill surface. Wait 10 minutes and see which ones are done, not done or burned.

I usually do foil my ribs after about three hours. After that, they're not going to get any more smoke and I like 'em a little more tender than some here might. I don't want them mushy, but I'm not heart-broken if I take a bite and most of the meat comes off the bone. I foil for about an hour at about 225* - 250*.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Well also you can intuitively guess the hot spots on most smokers, smaller ones anyways.

WSM or any vertical with water pan is going to have a hot zone at the perimeter, probably due to the heat coming around the water pan and just coming straight up the smoker.

An offset smoker with no mods will probably be hotter on the side where the hot air comes out of the firebox etc etc :)

I have smoked trimmed and untrimmed ribs. My last smoke I wanted to fit three racks of spares on my top rack so I decided to roll them for the first time. Rolling spares that have NOT been trimmed was a pain in my rear! So next time I am smoking more than two racks I will trim them

I accidentally dropped the one on the back right on the grill and it caused the meat to rip from a the bone but they were good none the less.
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote