MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

Default First Brisket HELP!!!!!!

Im doing my first brisket, just a little guy less than 3# like a half a flat. Either way I put it on earlier along with other things, but problem is its been on for 6 hours and still is interally 170ish range. Ive probed multiple places in the brisket, Im not foiling it to get a better bark since its a smaller peice but now it seems to be taking forever, anybody else have this result with a smaller piece of flat?? Im going LOW AND SLOW, maintaining about 215ish on the wsm, should i just let it go?
nrok2118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Strike BBQ
On the road to being a farker

170 is a point where BBQ tends to plateau. I would not worry too much, but the pit temp seems a little low at 215. I would stoke it to 225-250. Of course all those opening o probe the meat is not helping your cause one bit.
Strike BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

How many times have you opened it to check on the brisket?
Each time you open it adds 15 minutes to the cook in my opinion :)
Also you said you are cooking some other things so did they require you to open the lid a bunch of times?
How many times in the last 6 hours have you opened the smoker?
When you open the smoker how long does it stay open?

Have you ever cooked anything 4 lbs or bigger like a pork butt?

Dont worry man your brisket will take time, you cant rush BBQ, unfortunately hehe

Now that is has been an extra hour I might check on it every hour or 1/2 hour to see if its climbing. You are in the stall stage of a brisket. Look it up if you want more info

Either way man just relax and let the smoker do its thing :)
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hi - yep - let it go. Just remember - it's dome when it's done. It's cool and wet in PA today. If you want to speed things up some, wrap it in foil now.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

yeah i took the fatty off and the temps got up around 260+, i let her go and temps got to 190 decently fast, wrapped in foil and a towel and got her in a cooler for an hour or two, we'll see how she turns out!
nrok2118 is offline   Reply With Quote