The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Memphis Style? Rendezvous Ribs

I was watching BBQ show that featured the Rendezvous ribs in Memphis. Anybody out there do them this way?
It looks like they do them over charcoal, direct heat, mop with a vinegar solution. They said cook for an hour and a half. Take them off dust with a Greek inspired dry rub, including but not limited to; S&P, oregano, garlic , cayenne, chili powder, paprika, maybe lemon pepper?, then a final mop of what looked like maybe a thin tomato based sauce. Anybody been there, or tried this style? I’m not a huge fan of having ribs so tender that they fall off the bone super easy. I mean when I cook and foil them, I get very good reviews but I want to try something different. Thanks all.
OBTW. They do what they call loin ribs, they said these are not baby backs?

Unread 09-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Steven Raichlen did his version of Rendevous ribs on his show one time. He may have a link somewhere but I haven't looked. The funny part was when he tasted the ribs, you could tell they were little too tough, he had to work a little bit to take a bite. Then he commented how tender they were.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Steven Raichlen did his version of Rendevous ribs on his show one time. He may have a link somewhere but I haven't looked. The funny part was when he tasted the ribs, you could tell they were little too tough, he had to work a little bit to take a bite. Then he commented how tender they were.
Also detailed in his book "Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs" (pages 62-65)

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

ask Deguerre, he's a memphisite...or what ever ya call em.... anyways he sent me out some of the rendezvous rub in the last trading round, it's some good stuff!!!
GROGG
MY BLOG

Facebookin it!
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks all, I found this site that quotes Raichlen's recipe, thanks again.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00462.html

Unread 09-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Braddog
Full Fledged Farker

I was there last fall. They're definitely not "fall off the bone" kind of ribs. They are very, very dry and chargrilled. So they're chewy. Not my kind of ribs, but if you're in Memphis you have to try them.

Cheers,
Braddog

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Fatboy (sold)
Large Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmark View Post
Thanks all, I found this site that quotes Raichlen's recipe, thanks again.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00462.html
Yup... that's the stuff.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
I was there last fall. They're definitely not "fall off the bone" kind of ribs. They are very, very dry and chargrilled. So they're chewy. Not my kind of ribs, but if you're in Memphis you have to try them.

Cheers,
Braddog
Never heard anyone say there was much to 'em, so no, I'll pass next time in Memphis. It's not the bbq town it's cracked up to be, but there's some decent food there.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Those of us that live(ed) in Memphis know that Rendezevous is a tourist place. The servers make some serious bank and they are less than friendly. THe ribs are tough and over priced.
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana Smoker View Post
Those of us that live(ed) in Memphis know that Rendezevous is a tourist place. The servers make some serious bank and they are less than friendly. THe ribs are tough and over priced.
Thanks again, I'm kind of rethinking this whole thing now, thinking of wrapping them for 20 or 30 minutes.

Unread 09-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

They cook em hot and shake on rub before serving. Not my style. I'm a Corkey's or Cozy Corner guy.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
They cook em hot and shake on rub before serving. Not my style. I'm a Corkey's or Cozy Corner guy.
Next time in town I want to try maybe the cornish hens at CC and some pork shoulder from the 3 Little pigs.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Grilled ribs are, in my understanding, the reason so many people think ribs need to be boiled first. "Makes 'em tender"

So does kicking back and actually letting them cook nice an slow, you ignorant son of a...

but I digress....
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I disagree that Memphis is not a BBQ Mecca - there is a lot of GREAT Que there, but there is some not so good too. Though it is definitely a tourist trap, I'll give Rendezvous credit for one thing: they don't call their ribs barbecue, which is accurate.

My favorite place in Memphis for dry ribs is the Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison. Tender and tasty with no sauce needed!
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

I've been to Memphis a couple of times and was totally unimpressed with the ribs at The Rendezvous. The flavor was OK but they were dry and tough. Just about everywhere I went in Memphis, I thought the ribs were better. A couple of my personal favorites were Central BBQ and The BBQ Shop.

This might start a little controversy here, but I've also been to been to Kansas City, and I liked the BBQ I had at Gates, Arthur Bryant's and Oklahoma Joe's better than anything I had in Memphis. Some day I'll do a BBQ tour of the country to sample the 'que from some of the other places that claim to make the best BBQ. A tough job, but somebody has to do it!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote