עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Orygun
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Am I a bad human being?

I have had a brand new 22.5 WSM with a stainless steel door and two grommets that has been sitting on my back porch for almost a month now and I have yet to fire it up. Over the Labor day weekend I fired up the FEC100 and the Primo XL, but I just never made time to get the WSM going. Now I am starting to feel bad for it. Have I been a terrible human being for ignoring my virginal WSM?
I am feeling like this weekend will have to be my maiden voyage. Any suggestions? I am thinking something really simple like a fatty or ABT's. I have 6 bags of Kingsford Competition and several bags of RO lump, not sure which one to start off with.
One last question....would it work to load my fuel and then use my MAPP torch to get a couple of spots going and call that good?
Thanks,
Orygun

Unread 09-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Yes you have been. You should send the 22.5 WSM to me so I can make sure it is taken care of like it is suppose to. The poor WSM has never done anything to you!

Ahh maiden voyage, go with a Boston Butt, get your temp set and let it go. Go on and get a long good burn in. I did two boston butts and 3 racks of ribs on my maiden voyage this past weekend.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
citrus
Full Fledged Farker

I know it's hard to get away from the Primo XL. I'm sure it will understand if you cook some butts on the WSM. If it doesn't, send me the WSM so you don't have to alienate the Primo. Lol! Good luck

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Orygun
Got Wood.

Tell me more about your maiden voyage...lump charcoal or briquets? How were your temps? And most importantly....how was the grub?

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

tough problem to have bro!

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

IMHO I don't think you're a bad human being - you're just of too many minds . . .

I have found that briquettes work FAR better than lump in the 22.5" WSM. And - your thought about lighting just a few briquettes at the top of your fuel load sounds to me like that would be the way to go. (And thanks for the idea!) I normally load up the ring with a couple bags of briquettes and then start 8 to 10 briquettes in the chimney and add those to a small indent that I've made in the top of the fuel pile.

My first run on the WSM got away from me. I made two mistakes. First off, I failed to protect the brand new cooker from the wind. Second, I fired up an ENTIRE chimney full of briqettes to get the party started - two ideas that lead to the WSM being WAY too hot!

By the third or fourth cook, the tiny air leaks had sealed up and I have made sure to protect it from any wind. This weekend will be about my tenth cook on it. A couple of weeks ago I actually had a burn of over 24 hours(!) Pit temp was 270F at the 24 hour mark. This was using the Kingsford Hickory briquettes. I packed that fire ring FULL of those briquettes and started by lighting 8 briquettes in my chimney. It was heaven because my brisket took 14 hours to come up to temp . . . and I didn't have to touch the fire at all! Nice!

Have a blast with yours and let us know how it goes -

I hope this helps . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orygun View Post
Tell me more about your maiden voyage...lump charcoal or briquets? How were your temps? And most importantly....how was the grub?
I used briquettes. (There were on sale at Home Depot). Started with the minon method. First cook so it was still nice and shiny temps held around 250-260 (after five or six good cooks, temps should hold around 225 I have been told).

As for the grub, might tasty See here

You will enjoy it. I wouldn't mind get a Primo one day though to try out.

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

No, if you were a bad person you would be my ex wife
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry if this is hijacking, but I have a question for the WSM users. How many butts can you get in a 22.5 in one cook?

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

not a bad person, just not a very good one

Unread 09-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Use the WSM for a doorstop, put the groceries into the FEC100, "set it and forget it" then find yourself an appropriate beverage or two. You're not a bad person, merely misguided as the juvenile counselors say
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dear Lord, please forgive this man, for at least he has seen the errors of his way. Grant to him the strength, courage, and ability to fire up that WSM and produce a heavenly feast. Let not the WSM suffer rejection any longer, but be brought into the fold of dirty cookers, to the end that a tasty bounty might burst forth onto the dinner table. Amen.

Enjoy your WSM. I don't have a 22.5, but I bet you can get 6-8 butts on it...others will chime in, I'm sure. Don't forget to post pron!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Dear Lord, please forgive this man, for at least he has seen the errors of his way. Grant to him the strength, courage, and ability to fire up that WSM and produce a heavenly feast. Let not the WSM suffer rejection any longer, but be brought into the fold of dirty cookers, to the end that a tasty bounty might burst forth onto the dinner table. Amen.
Amen.

Unread 09-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like you don't have enough mouths to feed to warrant using so much charcoal, so send it to Tennessee.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Big Frank
Full Fledged Farker

Your a better man them I am. Mine's still in the box in my garage.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=89583

Primo Oval XL - Backwoods Chubby - 22.5" WSM -Brinkman Smoke N Pit - Camerons Stovetop Smoker
22" weber x 3 - Weber Genesis S-330 - Turkey Fryer
Super-Fast Splash-Proof RED Thermapen
Imbas Certified MOINK Baller

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
Big Frank is offline   Reply With Quote