The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default WSM..... 22.5" - VS - 18.5" ..... Input From Users Of Both?

Of Course I am drawn to the 22.5" over the 18.5"..... BIGGER, COST MORE, STATUS, ETC....... But, is it really worth the extra money?..... Have only talked to 2 people that have cooked on them both & have heard pro's and con's for both...... (too small, too big, uses to much fuel, etc)..... Would love to hear some feedback..... I typically cook for about 2 to 8 people, so basically "Backyard" use.... Thanks!

Unread 09-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
cgarrit
Knows what a fatty is.

Talking

If your going to be cooking for up to 8 people thenn I suggest the 22.5. It's better to be safe than sorry.
cgarrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
Bartstop
On the road to being a farker

Well, are you they kind of guy that buys a mini truck (S10, Ranger) or a real truck (F series, Silverado, Ram, etc.)? That was my line of thinking when I decided on the 22. I've had small trucks in the past and hated it. I didn't want to make the same mistake with my cooker. Plus, with the 18 you can't even cook a slab of ribs without coiling them or cutting them. There's just something unnatural about that.

This is America, bigger is always better.

Bartstop
Bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
citrus
Full Fledged Farker

Don't have either but have found it is better to go bigger. If you need the ability to cook more you can. If you go smaller and need more room, you are out of luck.

Unread 09-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Trust me, you can do a lot with four extra inches.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
atvottawa
On the road to being a farker

I bought my wsm last weekend and after looking at the 2 side by side,, I decided to go with the 18. The 22 is a big farker and I only cook for a family of 3. We do host numerous parties but even then they only amount to about 15 max. I can put enough meat on the 18 to feed that many. I also have a weber kettle and a gasser if the need arises. With the money saved I got a few goodies to go with it.
atvottawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartstop View Post
Plus, with the 18 you can't even cook a slab of ribs without coiling them or cutting them. There's just something unnatural about that.
That's not really correct. I can get three racks of loin backs or St Louis spares on the top rack of my 18.5 laying flat.

But... I would still go bigger. You can always cook less, but it's hard to cook more when you are out of room. Also, packer briskets can be a challenge to fit into the 18.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
Brian in Maine
is One Chatty Farker

I have 2 18 1/2 inch WSMs, and the only reason that I want (REALLY WANT) a 22 1/2 inch is so that I can cook my ribs without a rack.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

I enjoy my 22.5 WSM. I can cook a lilttle or alot.

Check us out on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113
MattG is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

All good points in this thread. I have the 18wsm and I agree on the need for more room at times. However I have been able to cook over ten slabs of ribs in mine using rib racks. You can also modify your cooker to add additional racks.

The 22 is huge compared to the 18 hands down. For me living in a condo I am limited on space for my cooking toys! So the 18 works good for us and I have cooked a good amount of food on mine.

The one issue that was mentioned in this thread is the amount of charcoal used in the 22. I have read where some guys will make a smaller charcoal basket to help reduce the amount of fuel used. I personally have never used a 22 but if I had the room for one I would not pass up the opportunity to smoke with one. I hope this helps. Vince B

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
Duster72
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Maine View Post
I have 2 18 1/2 inch WSMs, and the only reason that I want (REALLY WANT) a 22 1/2 inch is so that I can cook my ribs without a rack.
This. I hate making ribs on my 18.5 because I have to cut the ends off and use racks. Terrible PITA.
Duster72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarrit View Post
If your going to be cooking for up to 8 people thenn I suggest the 22.5. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.....just wrong. If this was true then Weber wouldn't have waited over TWENTY years to make a bigger one.

I've cooked nine slabs at a time, and regularly cook over thirty pounds of pork butt, but you can put 'em on end with the fat cap out and cook six at a time, leaned up against a beer can chicken rack, three to a grate. I read recently how a guy cooked six 10 pounders like that....no turning, no rotating.....and that sixty pounds of pork butt will feed right at 100 people.

I'd say anybody is "safe" with the original one unless wanting to sell bbq or see how much charcoal they can go through.

Regards,
Dave
wsm, otg, ots, char-griller stickburner, uds, smokey joe
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster72 View Post
This. I hate making ribs on my 18.5 because I have to cut the ends off and use racks. Terrible PITA.
Honestly, I prefer my char-griller for cooking ribs, but the best ribs off my wsm are rolled and skewered. It's really easy, three or four a rack, and they cook much more evenly this way. Anything hanging past the pan on the bottom rack of a wsm, big or small, is gonna cook much faster there and this means overcooked slab ends, whether flat or in a rack.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
chilidic
Found some matches.

I've got an 18 1/2 incher that I modded to hold four racks, so I can get plenty of meat on it, problem being you have to remove top racks and meat to do any mopping or glazing on the lower ones, not a big deal just a pain sometimes. I'd go for the bigger one if I buy another WSN.
chilidic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #15
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

This is gonna be no help at all!

I have both. If I don't have enough to cook to warrant firing up the big one, I'll just use the little one. No sense wasting good lump! Get both, and you're covered for anything!

My favorite thing about the 22" is I can get a full packer in there without rolling, squishing, etc... and without hanging into the hot zone of the outside edges.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote