ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cleaning Pizza Stone Question

I don't know why, but my stone got left out on the picnic table at mom's for a month.

Any suggestions on cleaning it?

Unread 09-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Not suggested but left ours in a self cleaning oven. Wife didn't check before turning on the clean cycle. It looked brand new but I feared that it would crack the stone the next time and never did that again.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Flgator
Got rid of the matchlight.

You should be heating the stone up to 500+ , I cook at 800. At either temp anything on it will simply brush off.
Flgator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but the bird poop really turned me off.

Unread 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

Now.. dont laugh..

When my stone gets real bad, i heat them it up, and rub it down with a heavy ball of crumpled up aluminum foil.. if its really gross(like when a pie tears and dumps all the contents on the stone(dont ask me how I know that happens ), I take some fine and medium grade sandpaper to it and sand down the entire stone to remove the nasties. it removes a fine powder and restores the stone to like new. I use the BGE stones and they are unglazed so sanding works well and opens up the pores after getting clogged with oil and cheese. Also have done it on BB&B stones, and they seem to be a little tougher which leads me to believe there is a slight glaze on it. The sanding is done on a cold stone.

Im not sure if doing this would ruins a glazed stone.(the one in the picture isnt). I would think it would if thats what u prefer using, but i hate them so removeing the glaze to me is a good thing. I dont like them anyway. Stones should be porous to pull moisture out of the doughs. With those glazed strones you may as well be using teflon.

BTW,

DO NOT USE ANY SOAP ON A STONE! Ever.. It absorbs the soap and the flavor/smell never goes away. The wife put a BB&B stones in the sink and soaked it in Dawn. The next time I preheated it, u can smell the soap coming out of the oven.. It was ruined where it went in the trash.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Chief. I have experienced the soapy stone effect once before. That is a lesson I won't forget any time soon. Smelled up the whole house. My wife got excited 'cause she thought I was doing the dishes.

Unread 09-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Like Poobah I just scrape mine off with a ball of foil and cook on.........Have you ever looked inside the oven at a really busy pizza joint? They just brush them out and cook on!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Looks well seasoned to me.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Considereing the bird sh*t, if it were mine it would be int trash and I'd buy a new one, they are not that expensive. As far as cleaning a stone without bird sh*t, I do what Pooh does (pun intended)!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
High Q
Take a breath!

I use a similar technique as the esteemed Grand Poohbah. Instead of using sandpaper, I give it a healthy shaking of salt. Rubbing the salt with a papertowel or cloth is enough of an abrasive to take the goop off. I do the same thing with my cast iron skillet and dutch oven.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

M-m-m! Guano! Toss ot.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
M-m-m! Guano! Toss ot.
Bird Poop means toss. Yes, I know 500 degrees and it's dust. But every time I looked at the stain I'd be reminded.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Bird Poop means toss. Yes, I know 500 degrees and it's dust. But every time I looked at the stain I'd be reminded.
If you were to freeze a piece of dog chit and use to scrap off the bird chit, would they cancel each other out?

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #14
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
If you were to freeze a piece of dog chit and use to scrap off the bird chit, would they cancel each other out?

Nice tree falling in the forest analogy Bill. My answer would be no to the cancel and yes someone woud hear it.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

The stains aren't from the poop. It already had the large stain from leaving a couple of pieces of pie on it for a long time once. When it heats up it smells like pepperoni grease and butter.