The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Advertising Dollars

I'm curious to know what form of advertising, other than the all important 'word of mouth', you guys believe gets you the most bang for your buck?

Church circulars, diner place mats, yellow pages, newspapers, windshield or mailbox flyers, etc. I'm talking about a small startup operation, not a well established big time catering company.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
cba252
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0

I am trying the same thing with a start-up venture. Have you tried Craig's List or Facebook? Don't underestimate their use. I am looking forward to what others post.
cba252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have no experience with food ads, but I have advertised for retail hardware, dive charter, garment printing,scuba instruction and pool leak detection. To get your name out and in front of your customers is paramount. For me, all the media failed and cost me plenty. As it turned out for me, it was pounding the pavement and word of mouth advertising was best . But as cba252 says, cl and fb are free and definetly good avenues .

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Facebook and local newspaper. Also, every benefit and charity thing we can do that gets publicity, plus local events.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

Anything you can do to get your name out in the local comunity helps. We are doing a benifit cook bike ride for a homless shelter with 250-400 riders. Any press you get will bump you up on Google. I've done 3 weddings for out of state customers just by google presence.

I just placed an add in the local high school football program. It's cheep and may lead to the easy drop offs.

Unread 09-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I am just word of mouth and it does well for us. As a police officer here in MD I get a lot of my work from police and fire.

We also own a BBQ equipment company, that gets us some catering work.
The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2013 Sponsor of Degüello BBQ, Christmas City BBQ, Lo'-N-Slo BBQ, Bar-B-Que Mayham, Uncle Bucks, Finns Finest, Pigheaded, Simply Q and Little Lukes BBQ
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

Park your smoker/trailer somewhere on a busy corner with your phone number on a big sign. Keep doing it in the same location consistantly. People will call.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

As someone who has a background in sales and marketing, I am going to recommended two very good resources.
For $35 bucks or so you can have both books, and you could literally reap $1000's
for the small investment.

1)Book Yourself Sold - Michael Port - (6 set of CD's)
Gives you a comprehensive pep talk and detailed guide to get your head in the game of sales.
Stresses the idea that your time is money, and how best to use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Yourself-.../dp/1596591358

2) Guerrilla Marketing - Jay Levinson
Describes great tips and layouts for inexpensive but very helpful marketing ideas
http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Mark...4072547&sr=1-2
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote