oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
jlondon
On the road to being a farker

Default got my smoke on-brisket and beef ribs with pron

So I just got my smoker going about 30 minutes ago, but its a small load.

First up is a trimmed second-cut brisket weighing in at 4.02 lbs. I put on a simple dalmation rub mixed with a tiny bit of cayenne. Next up is two beef ribs from the top-of-rib/flanken (1.37lb), and then 1.42lb of beef short ribs, both were rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt Rubb with a several heavy shakes of HotScotch (http://www.smws.co.uk/gifts/Hotscotch_Sauce.html) for some heat and intrigue.

Both are sitting in disposable pans, the brisket cause I'm mostly cooking this one for the juices so I can make another batch of BBQ sauce; the meat I'll turn into lovely burnt ends. The ribs cause I'm trying Ray Lopez's Beef Ribs recipe as recorded in Robb Walsh's "Legends of Texas Barbecue" cookbook. The meat went on at 300 temp, with a mix of lump hardwood charcoal, and chunks of hickory, white oak and with a smattering of apple wood chips (cause I ain't got chunks at the moment). Pics follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4lb-second-cut-brisket-trimmed.jpg (79.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg beef ribs-beef flanken.jpg (69.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg brisket-beef-ribs-on-smoker.jpg (59.8 KB, 101 views)
jlondon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Nice. Do you use the bbq sauce you make just the one time, or do you somehow continue to use it later?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
citrus
Full Fledged Farker

Looks good

Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
jlondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarter View Post
Nice. Do you use the bbq sauce you make just the one time, or do you somehow continue to use it later?
Its best after a couple of days of ripening, which is why I'm making it now (I'll be making a much larger brisket for next weekend), but I can use it for months.

MY RECIPE:
14 oz or so of ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pure chili powder
2.5 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1.5 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup brisket drippings (depending on consistency/flavor)
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (OPTIONAL; depends on flavor of brisket drippings)
around 3 cups water

Mix everything together in a saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over high heat; then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until it gets nice and thick; stirring to prevent sticking/scorching; roughly 20 minutes.

It is deliciously tart. Taste awesome immediately, ripens brilliantly over 2 or 3 days, and stays great for several months.

My beef ribs are done. Taste great, with nice subtle smoke. Super moist. I don't know if my crappy cell phone camera does it justice. I took a close-up of one of the thicker ribs which I sliced into with my knife just to demonstrate the moistness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beef-ribs1.jpg (72.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg beef-ribs.jpg (67.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg beef ribs-closeup.jpg (44.5 KB, 75 views)

Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
jlondon

OK, so my plans shifted slightly. Instead of mostly brisket burnt ends, I decided just to slice it up -- it was just too damned moist and tasty. Pics follow (sorry again for the crappy cell-phone-camera quality -- makes the smoke ring look more brown than pink).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brisket.jpg (57.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg brisket-close-up.jpg (45.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg brisket-smoke-ring.jpg (48.7 KB, 58 views)