The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Closed Thread
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #76
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

ongrats to all the Brethren teams that got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about 50 ft away from Jimmy Brod (Smokin' Cracker AKA Everglades Seasoning) when he got the phone call on Fri-----------------
I have never seen a "big boy" jump that high and yell that loud
Even on Sat morning--he was still riding high!

WTG Jimmy.

The other FBA team (that I am aware of) that made the draw was the "Ross Team". That is one of the niceest father snd son teams on the circuit. They won their first and only (to my knowledge) GC at Albany, GA this spring.
I could not be happier to see a great pair get selected!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.

Unread 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #77
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
ongrats to all the Brethren teams that got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about 50 ft away from Jimmy Brod (Smokin' Cracker AKA Everglades Seasoning) when he got the phone call on Fri-----------------
I have never seen a "big boy" jump that high and yell that loud
Even on Sat morning--he was still riding high!

WTG Jimmy.

The other FBA team (that I am aware of) that made the draw was the "Ross Team". That is one of the niceest father snd son teams on the circuit. They won their first and only (to my knowledge) GC at Albany, GA this spring.
I could not be happier to see a great pair get selected!

TIM
Wish somebody video taped him

Unread 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #78
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
You need legal representation! I negotiated with Hodedo, and I don't have to wash dishes!
But if someone sees a red dot on thier forehead, that will be the SOW official Contemplative Moderator, in the tree above you

Unread 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #79
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
But if someone sees a red dot on thier forehead, that will be the SOW official Contemplative Moderator, in the tree above you
Dont send Jorge after me for yesterdays bad luck that I brought on ya there was a day when I went to a contest and who ever I hung out with was good for grand. Seems I have that black cloud now.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around

Unread 09-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #80
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCW View Post
So, did Slap Yo Daddy make the list or not?
Slap Yo Daddy got an automatic entry for 7 GCs. Looks like the New Mexico contest that they thought only had 24 teams had more than 25.

Congrats to all Brethren teams that are going to the Jack and a big for the 2 CA teams: Smitty's Smoke Patrol & Slap Yo Daddy.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!

Unread 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #81
Kosmo's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Got the Oklahoma call..... Dannngggg, Can't wait to see all of you bad a*#'s.... Time to represent the Brethren! Good luck to all, and Drinks are on Andy! LOL

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #82
Vince RnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Egg2Q View Post
Slap Yo Daddy got an automatic entry for 7 GCs. Looks like the New Mexico contest that they thought only had 24 teams had more than 25.

Congrats to all Brethren teams that are going to the Jack and a big for the 2 CA teams: Smitty's Smoke Patrol & Slap Yo Daddy.

I was at the IBCA contest in Albuquerque and I, along with everyone else who was at the awards ceremony for this event, witnessed the following:

* Only 5 places were called in each of the four categories
* The tickets had been removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony

I spoke to Lynn Shivers regarding these two major irregularities a few days after the contest and she confirmed the following:

* The only time less than 10 places should be called in any category is when less than 10 entries are received. That was clearly not the case at this contest.
* Tickets should never be removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony. The reason for this is so as to guarantee that the correct ticket is called for the correct tray. This is from IBCA Rule 7 - "Winning numbers will not be revealed until time to announce each place in each category. At that time the secret numbers attached to the tray/cup will be removed and announced."

Lynn stated that these two violations of IBCA protocol and their blind judging system compromised the integrity of the contest and it could not be considered a qualifier for those reasons.

Furthermore, the following disclaimer appears on the contest results page on the IBCA website: "Only the top 5 places were called as directed by the Promoter - therefore without calling out the other 5 places - the true overall results of the event are not reflected." http://www.ibcabbq.org/results2010/re100626albuq.html

If the "true overall results of the contest are not reflected", how can this contest be considered as a qualifier?

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #83
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Apparently it was good enough for the folx at Jack Daniels.

Look at it this way, if Harry doesn't get the automatic, he goes into the draw with 6 wins. That makes it highly improbable that Smitty would get to go. Now Harry is going AND another California team is going because that spot wasn't taken. Harry being in doesn't hurt anyone else's chances and one of the competitors in the country gets to compete. Isn't that what the Jack is all about? Competing against the very best?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #84
Scottie
Babbling Farker

The whole thin g is messed up and someone should step up... whether that be the IBCA or the team that this went in favor of. Nothing.g should be handed to anyone. Silence is deafening.

And yeah Mista, I do have a problem. Don't matter how many GC's you have, that does not guarantee you pulling your bung for your state. So to say it doesnt hurt anyone else is false. It takes away a spot from some other team....

Unread 09-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #85
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I certainly don't see any issue with Slap Yo Daddy being given an autoJack. Sure, the NM contest was (from what I heard) a scoring disaster. Still, 6 confirmed GC's and one GC from the screwy NM contest deserves some recognition as a qualifier to the Jack IMO.

As long as Slap Yo Daddy didnt affect the CA Jack draw, is there really an issue? It's obvious that Slap Yo Daddy is a great team and deserves to be there.

Just one dude's opinion.

Unread 09-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #86
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
The whole thin g is messed up and someone should step up... whether that be the IBCA or the team that this went in favor of. Nothing.g should be handed to anyone. Silence is deafening.

And yeah Mista, I do have a problem. Don't matter how many GC's you have, that does not guarantee you pulling your bung for your state. So to say it doesnt hurt anyone else is false. It takes away a spot from some other team....
Was there another team with 7 wins that won't get to go because Harry is going? Harry would have been in the California draw with 6 bungs instead of 1. Who's spot is he taking? And if I'm not mistaken, this is an invitational. Can't they invite who they want?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott

Unread 09-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #87
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

Hey I am a rookie, and I'll admit that i'm totally wet behind the ears when it comes to BBQ politics... and, of course, I certainly wasn't at that comp, but I have met and cooked with Harry and Benny of Slap Yo Daddy, they are honorable and ethical competitors, and in the media concerning the New Mexico competition, they have dealt with the situation much more graciously than I would have. They won 7 GCs ... in my book they shouldn't be penalized for the administrative blunders that arose... The Jack was spot on with that call
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association

Unread 09-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #88
Scottie
Babbling Farker

This isn't the first time this has happened. Darren Warth back in'06 had 7 wins. His 7th only had 24 teams. It did not count. You have to put 'qualifying' contests on your Jack application. A 23 team contest, no matter what should be put on your application. I am both questioning Slap Your Daddy or anything ethical. What is right is right. I realize what Harry. Has done for comp cooking. No more than Brent Walton out West and he didn't get a free ride from the Jack... now that is an example, but there are many more if you want me to list them. But again, its not about Harry and his team.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #89
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

The IBCA website says they were 27 teams. Is this being questioned as a non qualifier because of errors on the organizers part?

Quote:
Date: 6-26-10 Event: 3rd Grillin N Chillin, Albuquerque, NM
Number of Teams: 27 Head Judge: Dana
Grand Champion: Harry Soo, Slap Yo Daddy
Reserve Grand Champion: Casey Nevarez, OKC's

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #90
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
The IBCA website says they were 27 teams. Is this being questioned as a non qualifier because of errors on the organizers part?
I've been told that it didn't say 27 teams until recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Closed Thread