The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Bud's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 05-16-07
Location: ADA MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Congratulation to all the Brethren who got the draw.

Way to go Andy and Kim, what a way to get a ticket to the Jack.

Tippy, Bit Ts, Freemans, Extreme - way to go!
__________________
Walt.
[B]Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ [/B]
[B][URL="http://www.smokinscotsmen.com"]www.smokinscotsmen.com[/URL] [/B]

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
CBJ
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL
Bud's BBQ is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 12-20-09
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

So do I have this correct...if a state is not represented by a home team and there is a team from said state that has won a qualifying GC in said state then they get a bung in the home state draw - but only one team from all gets to go - i.e. not every state will have a representative?
__________________
Matt Schneider - "The Smokesman" - Velvet Smoke BBQ & Catering
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
Tim H
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

 
Join Date: 11-19-08
Location: Lewis Center, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Same question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
So do I have this correct...if a state is not represented by a home team and there is a team from said state that has won a qualifying GC in said state then they get a bung in the home state draw - but only one team from all gets to go - i.e. not every state will have a representative?

I (TimothyT.) was the only Ohio team in the Ohio barrel, and the only Ohio team with a quailifying GC (i believe), yet did not receive an invite... confused
Tim H is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

 
Rich Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-09
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Congratulations everyone!
__________________
WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com sponsored by Deep South Smokers
Rich Parker is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 02-07-06
Location: boston ma
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
So do I have this correct...if a state is not represented by a home team and there is a team from said state that has won a qualifying GC in said state then they get a bung in the home state draw - but only one team from all gets to go - i.e. not every state will have a representative?
No you don't. The Jack wants every state represented not a team from every state. Mass had 2 qualifers. Ique won both but ique had an auto because they won the jack last year. Therefore the state of massachusetts was not represented. Any team from mass that won a qualifier in any other state and was not already drawn was put into a hat.
YankeeBBQ is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #21
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Question?

What would happen if a team is drawn to represent a State and they can't go, for whatever reason? Is another team from that state drawn? Are there alternates?
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker
 
CivilWarBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Cartersville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Congrats to all who were lucky enough to be drawn! Ain't nuthin' in BBQ better than cooking The Jack. You've grabbed the brass ring boys.
CivilWarBBQ is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker
 
beerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-05-05
Location: Fredericksburg Va
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Congrats to all who made it. Good Luck Big Ugly and Cool Smoke!
__________________
I support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Other half of the Cat Sass BBQ team

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
Brinkman Gourmet Smoker(retired)
Brinkman 2400 Pro (using sideburner as Charcoal starter)
beerguy is offline  


Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Westexbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-02-05
Location: Rockin' Lake Ronfarkoma, Hinterlands of BBQ .
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I am very pleased to see the list of those that made it.
Congratulations to you all!
Special nod to Out of the Ashes and Smoke on Wheels!
Go get em.
__________________
Illuminated, circa 1967.
KCBS CBJ-Texas Transplant.
Texas Smokemaster offset, Well-cured NB Silver Smoker, Santa Fe grill (retired). glory bee gasser.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"


Westexbbq is offline  


Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Question?

What would happen if a team is drawn to represent a State and they can't go, for whatever reason? Is another team from that state drawn? Are there alternates?
To be entered in the draw the team has to submit paperwork in advance of the draw. If, after the draw, you can't go the spot is left vacant I believe.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #26
Tim H
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

 
Join Date: 11-19-08
Location: Lewis Center, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
No you don't. The Jack wants every state represented not a team from every state. Mass had 2 qualifers. Ique won both but ique had an auto because they won the jack last year. Therefore the state of massachusetts was not represented. Any team from mass that won a qualifier in any other state and was not already drawn was put into a hat.
I understand your response that each State should be represented with a qualifying GC champion from a contest in that state (but not necessarily a team that resided in that state).

Can you help me out.. here is my situation. My interpretation of the Draw guidelines was different though.


I was the only Ohio team that won 1 of the 3 qualifying contests in Ohio. The other two contests were won by Smoke n Ice (TX) and Mooswiners (KY). Smoke n Ice was pulled from the Ohio barrel. I do not think that there were any other Ohio teams (besides mine) that won a qualifying contest, and were therefore in any other State barrel?
The letter from the contest read... "If any team is the only Grand Champion from its home state and it has not been selected via a state draw, that team will be invited to represent its state...if there are numerous Grand Champions from any state and none of their names have been drawn, all Grand Champions from that state will go into a draw to determine who represents their home state" Again, I think I was the only Ohio team with a GC? My team was not drawn from the Ohio barrel, and I was not selected to represent my home state of Ohio... have I mis-interpreted how the draw works?

Unfortunately, it is not my interpretation of how the Draw works that matters though.
Tim H is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #27
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The Jack Draw (capitalized on purpose) is really, REALLY cool!

I was out checking out the contest site a little while ago and stopped to talk to Mack and Sharon from Smoke'n Ice. Mack found a PDF with the results on his phone but couldn't open it. I opened mine and had to fight to hold back the smile before I stuck my hand out and gave him the news.

It was really cool to be there, to see just how much it meant to Mack and Sharon! Congrats!

Congrats also go out to Andy and Kim from Smoke on Wheels! I think Andy's phone had just about melted when I got ahold of him! The luck of the wild card couldn't fall on two more deserving people, or two better friends!

EDIT: After I told Mack they were in, he insisted on seeing it for himself!;)
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline  


Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #28
Coz
is One Chatty Farker
 
Coz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-07
Location: Montello,Wi
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Congrats to all our friends on the draw . Good luck
__________________
Stumps Clone "RAINMAKER"
Stumps Clone RIP 9-20-08
Stumps Clone "LIL RAIN "
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #29
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-14-07
Location: Lakeland Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Any Ohio team winning a GC in any state goes into the home team draw. So if an OH team was drawn from say MI then there's an Ohio team at the Jack and no State draw needed. Does that help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
I understand your response that each State should be represented with a qualifying GC champion from a contest in that state (but not necessarily a team that resided in that state).

Can you help me out.. here is my situation. My interpretation of the Draw guidelines was different though.


I was the only Ohio team that won 1 of the 3 qualifying contests in Ohio. The other two contests were won by Smoke n Ice (TX) and Mooswiners (KY). Smoke n Ice was pulled from the Ohio barrel. I do not think that there were any other Ohio teams (besides mine) that won a qualifying contest, and were therefore in any other State barrel?
The letter from the contest read... "If any team is the only Grand Champion from its home state and it has not been selected via a state draw, that team will be invited to represent its state...if there are numerous Grand Champions from any state and none of their names have been drawn, all Grand Champions from that state will go into a draw to determine who represents their home state" Again, I think I was the only Ohio team with a GC? My team was not drawn from the Ohio barrel, and I was not selected to represent my home state of Ohio... have I mis-interpreted how the draw works?

Unfortunately, it is not my interpretation of how the Draw works that matters though.
__________________
Ford
Retired competition cook. BBQ mentor.
Ford is offline  


Unread 09-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #30
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
NorthwestBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-09
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm going to the Jack!
__________________
Michael
KCBS/PNWBA Member, Cook, CBJ & Photographer
Custom Engraved Wine Barrel Lids
NorthwestBBQ is offline  


Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jack Draw 2010 Video Sledneck Competition BBQ 4 09-18-2010 12:09 PM
Jack Draw Results mrwicks Competition BBQ 4 09-09-2009 10:15 PM
Official jack draw results thread Jorge Competition BBQ 150 09-04-2009 09:10 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts