The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS competition score calculator now available (See what your scores really mean)

Hey all,
I have created a spreadsheet that will allow KCBS competitors to see what their competition scores actually mean, and to give you a calculator tool that will allow you to see what would happen if your score in any one of the three criteria were to change.

Download the spread sheet, and in each of the heavily outlined boxes enter your comp scores exactly as they appear on your scoring detail sheet. The spreadsheet will automatically weight the scores you were given, throw out the low score, and tally your actual score for that category as well as your total overall score as you received it at the comp. You can then change any of your scores to see what impact it might have on how you placed in any category as well as overall.

If you have any questions, PM me and we can talk about it.

Edit: I just uploaded an improved version
Attached Files
File Type: xls KCBS score sheet break down.xls (22.5 KB, 335 views)
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"

Last edited by Harbormaster; 09-03-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Very cool. Thanks for doing this!

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Sledneck
Time Out

Great job. No offense but i think its bad karma. Coulda, shoulda, woulda doest exist in comp bbq. I throw out my sheets after the contest weekend is over.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Harbormaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Great job. No offense but i think its bad karma. Coulda, shoulda, woulda doest exist in comp bbq. I throw out my sheets after the contest weekend is over.
I hear you Sled. This is geared more to comp neophytes like myself who would like to look at what the scores mean, where you were weak, and what improvements you make will have the greatest impacts on your scores.

BTW, contributions can be made to the Wyocena Yacht Club Rescue Shelter for Abused and Neglected BBQ Pits.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I hear you Sled. This is geared more to comp neophytes like myself who would like to look at what the scores mean, where you were weak, and what improvements you make will have the greatest impacts on your scores.

BTW, contributions can be made to the Wyocena Yacht Club Rescue Shelter for Abused and Neglected BBQ Pits.
Great point , didnt think about it like that.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

This is great, thanks for posting. I did my first KCBS comp last weekend and was curious how 5+5+4 added up to 18.8. Yea I'm not joking, that was one score, my ribs sucked! I actually felt bad for the judge that had to eat them. They travelled all day to get to the comp just so they could eat my farked up ribs!

Thanks again.

Unread 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Harbormaster

Thanks JT
I thought it would be helpful to see just how your taste scores impact compared to tenderness and appearance.

Unread 09-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

BTW, contributions can be made to the Wyocena Yacht Club Rescue Shelter for Abused and Neglected BBQ Pits. [/QUOTE]

How many more can you rescue and shelter before you need a shelter for yourself ? Or are the boys going to start collecting now?
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Harbormaster

So, there have been 251 views, has anyone downloaded it and used it?

What do ya think?

Unread 09-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Nice look... behind the looking glass. Definitely shows a better insight that determines the overall score.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I used it. It will help in spotlighting where you need to improve.

Unfortunately, it also helps to highlight the judge that kept you from the next place.

Still a nice spreadsheet though.

Now, a spreadsheet that will calculate the ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure and tell me how much lump and wood I'll need for my fuel hog......I'd pay for it.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Harbormaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
Now, a spreadsheet that will calculate the ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure and tell me how much lump and wood I'll need for my fuel hog......I'd pay for it.
Let me get right on that!

Unread 09-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
jbiesinger
Got Wood.

I haven't looked at your file yet, but it sounds similar to what I've created in excel. We only compete 2-3 times a year, so we have to glean as much out of our scores as we can.

I plot trend lines for each judging category, for each meat and have discovered some interesting trends. For one example, our pork appearance is higher when there is sliced and pulled in the box.

For teams like us that compete infrequently, I can't say enough about breaking down your scores.

Unread 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I'm with ya there !!.. I look at them for a few minutes and toss them
Podge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
lbmksu
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I think that this is an awesome tool. I've wondered what the result would be if we change something slightly
lbmksu is offline   Reply With Quote