The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
BlazinSS934
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Need some help trying to host a cookoff/fundraiser

I am a volunteer firefighter and every year we try to to run a fundraiser. The company kicked around a few ideas and they want me to look into running a bbq cook-off. I have partipated in a few contests and I know my way around the grill and smoker, so to the I am the resident smoke head.

some of my handy work http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle..._cookoff_.html

http://www.fdnntv.com/Jim_Beam_Terry...house_Cook_Off
Link with video

I am the guy holding the jim beam bottle It was my recipe but i declined the interview so my buddy dana did it and the daily news blew up the fact that he was a professional chef.

back to my question.

how do I go about running a cook-off.
it would be easier to host a comp. and have someone else run it im clueless here any help would be great

we are located in nassau county NY
we have access to a 5 acre grass area w/ a nice gazzebo that has a full service kitchen next to it.
we would also be able to secure nice sized parking lot
we hosted the NYS Parade in 2009 so we know how to handle logistics

just looking for a push in the right direction and some ideas

Sal Astuto
BlazinSS934 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinSS934 View Post
I am a volunteer firefighter and every year we try to to run a fundraiser. The company kicked around a few ideas and they want me to look into running a bbq cook-off. I have partipated in a few contests and I know my way around the grill and smoker, so to the I am the resident smoke head.

Link with video

I am the guy holding the jim beam bottle It was my recipe but i declined the interview so my buddy dana did it and the daily news blew up the fact that he was a professional chef.

back to my question.

it would be easier to host a comp. and have someone else run it im clueless here any help would be great

we have access to a 5 acre grass area w/ a nice gazzebo that has a full service kitchen next to it.

Sal Astuto
A KCBS sanctioned event will draw more teams, and they will run the contest for you - at least the competition part. You have to handle the logistics - permits, insurance, sponsors, power, water, a judging space, sanitation.

The New England Barbecue Society (nebs.org) helps with a lot of contests in NY. Try shooting them an email. They may have some suggestions, and can also point you in the right direction to get KCBS sanctioned.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

On it! :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Sledneck
Time Out

FBA (Florida BBQ Association) would be another option besides KCBS for sanctioning.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

As a contest organizer, I suggest you go the sanctioning route. Not only does being sanctioned give your contest credibility, you will have not only a pool of cook teams to invite to your event but qualified judges as well.

In terms of setting up a contest, the biggest obstacle most organizers face is providing adequate power & water to the cook sites. You don't have to run an outlet & spigot to every cook site, but you do need to have adequate access within 100 yards of every site. Don't go cheap on the power setup. Nothing will cause more grumbling among cook teams that breakers that trip every 15 minutes. At my site, I had 2 central poles with enough outlets that each team had a separate 20 amp circuit. Unless your fire dept has access to large, portable generators, be prepared to spend a couple thousand dollars on power & water. And don't forget about bathroom facilities or porta-potties.

I noticed you said your site had a gazebo. Is it large enough to handle the judging tables? On the average, you will need a table of judges for every 5-6 teams. So if you have 25 teams, you would need 5 tables that could seat either 5 or 6 judges (depending on the sanctioning organizations rules) at each table. If the gazebo is not that big, then you will need a large tent for judging.

A big item, since you are doing this as a fund raiser is sponsors. It is really tough attracting sponsors in many areas in this economy. Still, you have to have some to offset costs & part of the prize money. Sometimes in kind donations are better than cash. I had an ice vendor donate all the ice we needed. We gave ice away & that made a good impression on the cook teams. We also were able to get our trophies & medals donated. Little things like that really add up in the end.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
olewarthog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Sal,

PM me your email address. I have an extensive outline in MS Word of what is involved with a cook off.

Heck, I'm heading to Bethpage in about an hour and I could have just dropped them off at your firehouse. Couldn't be too far away.

Eric Devlin

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinSS934 View Post

Link with video

back to my question.

Sal Astuto
Great idea Sal. I grew up in Hicksville and was a member of Engine Company 7 for six years back in the day when Richy Magee was Captain before moving east. I would compete in a heartbeat. It would be great to see some of the guys again. You will be in good hands with Phil and Eric helping.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

What's the latest on this? I'd be willing to compete.
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
BlazinSS934
Knows what a fatty is.

thanks for all the responses, I have had a hectic few weeks . This is still in the infantile stages, we are trying to get this going for sept/oct of next year. My company used to be know for its fall festival and craft fair back in the 80's and 90's looking to use this as a catylast to put us back on the map.
BlazinSS934 is offline   Reply With Quote