The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Default BBQ Brethren "Satay" Throwdown

Our new category is...

"Satay"

Photo from HuffingtonPost.

...as chosen by SmokinAussie, the winner of the This is Who I Am Throwdown!

I think you get the idea here...the entry must feature Satay cooked over livefire

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/3 through Sunday 9/12.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 9/12.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 9/13 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 9/17. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Bacon Throwdown until Sunday night 9/5 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Whole Fish!

Best of luck and even better eats to all![/QUOTE]
Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Are there any meat restrictions? I'm good with only cooking Lamb/Mutton/Goat to keep it traditional.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't think so by definition-
Satay (pronounced /ˈsæteɪ/ SA-tay) or sate is a dish of marinated, skewered and grilled meats, served with a sauce.
Homegrown 120 Gallon Reverse Flow, Homey, the Homegrown frier, 1UDS, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Bicycle Fast Polder Thermo, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Meat on a stick! Yum! One of my favorites and lots of possibilities. Bill, I'm trying to figure out if you skewer the fish heads from top to bottom or through the sides. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

No fishhy heads here Gore! Just pure satay fun! Great for the kids and not too gruesome for those of us with delicate constitutions!

I'll be posting MY recipe here so that eveyone can get a handle on this. I have it on advisement that satay is indeed quite unknown in the US, so I will try to help out if anyone needs it. Anyway, it is simple and it's a lot of fun!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
No fishhy heads here Gore! Just pure satay fun! Great for the kids and not too gruesome for those of us with delicate constitutions!

I'll be posting MY recipe here so that eveyone can get a handle on this. I have it on advisement that satay is indeed quite unknown in the US, so I will try to help out if anyone needs it. Anyway, it is simple and it's a lot of fun!

Cheers!

Bill
Please do. I enjoy new cooking techniques and flavors. This will be an adventure.

FYI
I do cook something for most throw downs but, they usually suck and don't get posted.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

We do satay quite a bit actually. I wouldn't say it's unknown or even rare, but please post your recipe. The kids like meat on a stick and I like the sauce. Will have to think of something different as I did this for curry already. I do have something from Phubar that might come in handy ... I wonder if that would go with bacon-wrapped fish heads? And Bill, what's wrong with fish heads on a stick? You're not getting squeamish on us, are you?

And Kevin, what's the matter with you? Post those pics and play along. And if they really do suck, then all the more fun!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T_BBQ View Post
Are there any meat restrictions? I'm good with only cooking Lamb/Mutton/Goat to keep it traditional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
I don't think so by definition-
Satay (pronounced /ˈsæteɪ/ SA-tay) or sate is a dish of marinated, skewered and grilled meats, served with a sauce.
Are you talking Indian Satay, Indonesian Satay or Thai Satay. Vegetables can be part of a Satay also...

I am no longer captious...so bite me Shane.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@larrygaian.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Sleepy Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I've never prepared a satay before. I've eaten them a few times, but never done my own. I will have to do a bit of research, but I think this is doable. Any TD theme that forces someone (me, in this case) to cook something new is a good choice. Good idea SmokinAussie. This should be fun.
Sleepy Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Personally, for throwdowns I prefer the fewest limitations, even if it includes [gasp] eggplant satay.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Personally, for throwdowns I prefer the fewest limitations, even if it includes [gasp] eggplant satay.
I've got to agree with Gore here. For satay it's more about the sauce/marinade than it about what is sauced or marinated.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
SmokinAussie

That's right... and let the voters decide... my assisting post on the the way soon!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
SmokinAussie

Default Satay Class

OK My Dear Brethren. I have learned so much from all of you that it is time to give a little back. While it appears Gore DOES indeed cook satay, because he travels like I used to (lucky sod), I thought I'd help out a bit. In doing this, I give back to the greater body of knowledge. I can't see this being the next big category killer at the next KCBS Competition, but you never know.... 10 years from now, it might be a bit more common.

Whatever... please enjoy.

The recipe's here are just pictures from my Singaporean Book Book.

GORE: Loook at the COVER... Yes, FISH HEAD CURRY!!!

This is the top part or the basic recipe on page 30.

and the second part

The next two recipes call for the sauce etc... posted above.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
BBQ Grail

Although Smokin' Aussie has posted a couple of satay recipe I'd like to encourage everyone to spend a little time on the internet and in cookbooks learning about the different types there are.

To me, half the fun of the Throwdown is the research process and coming up with an exciting and dynamic way to adapt the research to my own cooking asthetic.

There are a variety of different satay techniques that lend itself to BBQ. It's much, much more than just meat on a stick.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
SmokinAussie

^^^^^ Absolutely 100% Agree.... I should have said the same, Larry... sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry. I'm thinkning those links are not going to last long anyway, s they may infringe copyright and photobucket might delete them.. If you're interested, get them while you can... and above all... have fun!

Cheers!

Bill

Tags
Is my Satay too tight?, Meat is stuck on my stick, Meat Stick