The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Unhappy Pitmasters - At a Breaking Point

Last season, my wife and I watched all the episodes at least twice, and even though we do not like the format, we have watched each episode as well. With that said, this week was a real turning point, as none of the dishes are used in competition, regardless of sanctioning body. On top of that, the host should be on Big Brother (whatever that show is about), and maybe the judges could represent different BBQ societies...

I understand Warren Sapp being on the show, but every time Art or Keven open their mouths, I get a little sick to my stomach. At least Myron is still the same!

I know the show does bring attention to BBQ, but how do we get the producers to get this show back on the right course?

Mods, I understand if you move it, but since this is about our sport and food, this is the best place for this post!
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

The main meat selection this week did seem way more impromptu than any of the previous shows, it was a shame there was a disconnect on three sides of the equation.... like cooks that had never dealt with turducken, judges that had never eaten it and a good portion of the TV audience that had never eaten it either. That said I like both the Japenese and US versions of Iron Chef.... and sometimes there are some pretty weird things that show up there.

It's not like we're running out of choices here. Any one of the three (chicken, turkey or duck) would have made a good main category, as would have plenty of other things.

As far as the challenge side dishes, I guess frog legs and collards sort of followed suit with previous ones.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

This season just plain sucks. I think the format is rediculous and the callange elimination is retarded. I was hoping the BBQ Pimp was gonna snapp and pimp slap that stupid host. Bring back last years show. Period.

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
BbqJohn
On the road to being a farker

I agree the format is not good. I have said it before the first elimination is just dumb.

"Okay, you just spent all that time getting your pits fired up and getting the main dish prepped and on the pit. Now for the challenge because we have no idea what to do with a BBQ show. You will all be cooking a African Cannon spider and the loser will go home...

Now that the first group is gone...now on to our second challenge....you all will be making a salad.."
BbqJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Rather than say the season isn't good, offer solutions on how to make it better. Maybe, just maybe the helpful suggestions will be read and acted on. Ducks quack, eagles soar.
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Bring back last years format. Thats my solution as i stated in my previous post.

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

it was alot of fun and very informative to watch what goes on at comps. Last years format was the way to do it. thats my 2 pennies

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I have to agree, being eliminated because of a side is ridiculous just keep the challenge as a point system, Than whoever has the most points at the end wins. I dont think its fair to the competitors to not even get a chance to have the main dish sampled.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

have to get rid of the challenge cook - I dont understand the need for it?? As well, I would much rather they go back to something similar to last year
s content at comps - I watch this year's shows because they are recorded and if I am bored sometime I watch it - I am certainly not taking time to watch it live....I wonder what their viewing numbers look like this year compared to last year...and I agree..the host is one of the worst I have seen on any show....
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
aztecnology
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree with all of you on the fact that the season 2 does not resemble at all what we all liked about season 1, the ins and outs of competition BBQ. But the fact of the matter is that it isn't very appealing to a broad tv audience. So the producers have changed it up to fall in line more or less with other competition style reality tv/cooking shows.

I think from the producers point of view, from what I've seen so far, is that if you want to truly be a pitmaster (the likes of iron chef/top chef) then you should be able to cook anything we throw at you and make it delicious.

I don't mind the format I just think they should tweak it, and allow for a total point scoring system for all the challenges, and completely do away with the elimination of the first side dish challenge.

BBQ has many interpretations, just look at the judges on the show. You have a tried and true competion pitmaster, a renowned chef, and a faux celebrity who's just there to eat.

I think this format appeals much more broadly than last years niche format, imo. No matter what, I'll keep watching because I like BBQ...
aztecnology is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

You all have said it very well! I did not see any of the old format but this years is not BBQ as far as I am concerned!

People all over are the web are knocking this format, and that's not just BBQ people either.

We all want to learn new things and seeing it being done is awesome. Isn't that how the Food Network got started?

I could do a better job of this, and I don't know squat.

I would bet that most of us watch just because we know the Cooks. If they weren't there I know I would turn it off.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
ezmuny13
On the road to being a farker

start a poll and forward to the producers
ezmuny13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Well, let them keep the challenge format.

Invite four or five teams per show, do a comp style event (Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket) Have true judges do blind taste judging. Do that four five weeks. Then on the sixth week the winners face each other for the title and the big money. Same way they have it now, but uses the layout from last year.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It is a shame; last year's show was so cool. Apparently their ratings are way up this
year, so it's unlikely we'll see a revamped show next year.

In the mean time, I hear through the rumor mill that next week they're cooking
jackalope.

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
SmokinPaPa
Knows what a fatty is.

The main think I don't like about the show is the 1st challange elimination. Go to a point system and not elimination. Show a little more about how they are prepairing their items. Just my two cents.