The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
TheMidnightSmoker
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Catering Rig. What do I need

I have been dreaming about catering for almost a year now and I need to put my plan in motion. I have developed my skills by cooking on a BDS and several Webers. I have done a few small to medium size events for church and friends and so far the BDS has done the job. I am looking at off-set trailer smokers such as the Meadow Creek or Lang but also cabinet smokers such as the Backwoods. I know that with onsite cooking the people expect to see a huge off-set cooker smoking away. Do you guys find this to be true? Do any of you cater onsite with a Backwoods or other cooker besides an off-set? What are you doing your onsite events with?
TheMidnightSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightSmoker View Post
I have been dreaming about catering for almost a year now and I need to put my plan in motion. I have developed my skills by cooking on a BDS and several Webers. I have done a few small to medium size events for church and friends and so far the BDS has done the job. I am looking at off-set trailer smokers such as the Meadow Creek or Lang but also cabinet smokers such as the Backwoods. I know that with onsite cooking the people expect to see a huge off-set cooker smoking away. Do you guys find this to be true? Do any of you cater onsite with a Backwoods or other cooker besides an off-set? What are you doing your onsite events with?
Aside from the usual direction around Health Dept., Bus License, Tax ID, and Insurances...

For onsite cooking, I have never experienced any expectation of a "big offset" cooker. IMHO, they require a lot of fuel an tending - Something that takes time away from other areas that need your full attention on a catering job. We cook on a Large Spicewine, and we spend a ton of time talking to people about it, how it works, etc. For any caterer, the expectation is good food, a clean caterer, and value for the money spent.

My encouragement once you've jumped thru all the HD, Ins, etc hoops - Find a cooker you are comfortable with, that will meet your needs for producing the amount of food you will need to meet your customer's requests. More important than a second smoker, would be a grill - Santa Maria, Weber Ranch Kettle, Belson type gasser - Anything that will allow you to turn out quantity of grilled food (Chicken, tri tip, sausage).

If possible, get a "purpose built" trailer, like an Extreme or similar. Right tool for the right job makes all the difference. Good luck!
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I would highly recommend looking at the meadow creek caterer's delight series, We use the CD-108G which is their 5' gas pig roaster and 42 inch chicken cooker. We had the pig roaster modified with an offset firebox, so we burn gas to maintain the heat, and use the offset box to get the smoke. With the second tier rack, it has a very good capacity to it. We even had a griddle made to fit the chicken cooker that we can knock out breakfast on as well as cheese steaks, etc. It is our go to rig for catering, we have 4 trailered pits and that one gets use more than any of them. I've never seen where a customer was expecting to see a big tank style smoker on site, as long as you are producing top notch food, they'll be happy. Good luck and if you have any questions, give me a shout. Good Luck.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Would love to see some pics of your modified Meadowcreek.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinybud View Post
I would highly recommend looking at the meadow creek caterer's delight series, We use the CD-108G which is their 5' gas pig roaster and 42 inch chicken cooker. We had the pig roaster modified with an offset firebox, so we burn gas to maintain the heat, and use the offset box to get the smoke. With the second tier rack, it has a very good capacity to it. We even had a griddle made to fit the chicken cooker that we can knock out breakfast on as well as cheese steaks, etc. It is our go to rig for catering, we have 4 trailered pits and that one gets use more than any of them. I've never seen where a customer was expecting to see a big tank style smoker on site, as long as you are producing top notch food, they'll be happy. Good luck and if you have any questions, give me a shout. Good Luck.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Chris: I humbly disagree about the offset, cuz my smoke smells mo betta

Just get a pit bitch like, Country, lol!

Offsets are more Pavlovian

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Spicewine guy here also. I have 2 now and am looking at getting another one. It's always good to have something eye catching but eye catching and efficient works better for catering. Do you really want to have to stop making your mac & cheese to go put another log in your stickburner?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Agree with something insulated that takes less work to maintain temp. We use an FEC100 and love it.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
BBQ VT
Knows what a fatty is.

I use a backwoods fatboy and competitor and have had no problems in wind rain or shine.
BBQ VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
TheMidnightSmoker
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for all the input guys. I really respect your knowledge and appreciate your willing to share it. Would someone be willing to explain to me how the Spicewine works? What I mean by that is how the heat and smoke flow thru and out of the smoker. It is very important to me to understand the method by which the cooker operates. For instance, I like the fact that Lang and Meadow Creek smokers use reverse flow. I think that allows for a more even heat distrubution.I also read that the the Stumps uses a gravity feed system. With this method the heat and smoke enter the cooking chamber at the bottom right and may, in my humble opinion, create an uneven heat flow. I would really appreciate any info on the SpiceWine that I can get. Thanks again
TheMidnightSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Remember you are going to need to do more grilling than smoking in most cases so consider adding a big grill such as a Santa maria to your arsenal.

My Meat beast is a smoker / grill with room for hot holding..

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

How about an Extreme BBQ Trailer with a Southern Pride
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
Tinybud
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman_pete View Post
Would love to see some pics of your modified Meadowcreek.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Pete
I'll take a look later when I have more time for photos, but all it is, is a simple box that goes the entire length on the backside of a meadow creek pr-60, with holes that lead into the main cooking chamber, allows you the conveince of gas for holding temps, but the option to induce smoke into the chamber,, works really well.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a custom offset cooker and cater often. Most of the time I am asked to deliver or they will pick up from me. The only time I tend to use my large smoker is for weddings and large parties. Lately for smaller parties I am using my Primo XL.

I recommend to start small and build up business then invest the money to a bigger rig. It is always easier to get bigger but harder to shell out big cash and hope the business comes.

Here is my rig I built.

The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2013 Sponsor of Degüello BBQ, Christmas City BBQ, Lo'-N-Slo BBQ, Bar-B-Que Mayham, Uncle Bucks, Finns Finest, Pigheaded, Simply Q and Little Lukes BBQ
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Put an FEC500 on a trailer. We love ours, and we sleep nights.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post

Offsets are more Pavlovian
I agree 100%, especially here in the South where BBQ = black iron.

That's why when we vend, we usually pre-cook in a Southern Pride a day in advance and sleep all night. Then we speed chill and transport butts in coolers on ice. On site, we pop them into a stick burner to heat to serving temp.

Plenty of smoke show for the public, minimal waste for us as we only re-heat as much as we need to handle demand.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote