拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Fresh cayenne peppers....what to do?

OK, so my brother called me last night and asked me to post a thread on here about how to properly dry/preserve fresh cayenne peppers. He said, "Go and put up a request for information, or whatever it is that you do what you do with the BBQ Brethren."

I tried to talk him into (FINALLY) joining the forum, but apparently, he's not done it yet (C'MON CODY!!!!). Anyhoo....

He's been growing 1 cayenne pepper plant and he's finally got 3 good sized one's ready for pickin'. He wanted to know if any of you out there had good recommendations for drying or any other suggestions of use?

And if drying: Are there ideal drying conditions? I'd assume an arid warm place to be the best, but???? I've not dried peppers before.

So? Anyone?

"Oh, I donít reject Christ. I love Christ. Itís just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Try these pages, pretty helpful. Since you are only doing a few, the fumes may not be bad...
but remember this stuff is also used for pepper sprays.. so if more are involved
have good ventilation

http://www.drycreekgarden.com/techni...ng_peppers.cfm

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Ultim...ot-Peppers.php
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
chambersuac

I had a bunch last year. I dried some in a dehydrator and then crushed. I would think they'd do okay in a smoker, too - I do a lot of peppers that way. I usually put them in the Egg on a mesh disposable tray and set the Egg for around 200...and pull them when they break easily.

I also made a "paste" out of some - food processor with garlic, peppers, a little EVOO and salt, black pepper and some other things I threw in (don't remember). It was tasty.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Mark

this should provide everything you need.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=323

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
10elawncare
Knows what a fatty is.

I can tell you one thing, completely off this topic. if you cut habanero peppers, do not touch anything until you dip your hands in gasoline and burn them. But if you do get it on your face or anywhere else, use Vodka. Maybe it was the raspberry vodka I had, but I tried everything (milk,ice, etc) and the R.V made it go away immediately! Then after that, go into your bedroom and cry for a little while, worked for me!
10elawncare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Wampus

See little brother (he HATES when I call him that), I TOLD you.......20 minutes and already a FLOOD of information.

(He'll be along eventually, Brethren.....I won't give up on him!)

So it sounds like there's no shortage of ways to dry them. I've never thought of using a smoker to dry them. Does this give them a "different" flavor when dried this way? Dan, did you use smoke during the dry or just the heat? I know that a chipotle is a smoked jalepeno, so is a smoked cayenne just a smoked cayenne or does it magically transform into like a serrano or something??

"Oh, I donít reject Christ. I love Christ. Itís just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

I always leave the plants in the garden until all the
peppers have turned red. Then i'll pull them out of the ground and wash the dirt off of the roots. Hang them up by the root in my tool shed until spring. they will become brittle dry. Remove them from the plant and put them in a shoe box. I use an electric coffee grinder to get the job done. Coarse,medium or fine.
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Sleepy Smoker
On the road to being a farker

Good thread. I decided to grow some peppers for the first time this year and I have A BUNCH of cayenne peppers. For only planting two cayenne plants I can't believe they yield I got.

I suppose it balances out for how terrible my serrano pepper plants did.
Sleepy Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
I use an electric coffee grinder to get the job done. Coarse,medium or fine.
You just have to be sure that you NEVER grind coffee beans with that grinder again, right?

I heard about someone who grinded peppers in their wife's grinder and she got LIT UP the next morn.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
You just have to be sure that you NEVER grind coffee beans with that grinder again, right?

I heard about someone who grinded peppers in their wife's grinder and she got LIT UP the next morn.
You're giving me evil thoughts here...

I'd also cut some in half and smoke them til tender, not dried, and make a hot sauce with them. I blend the peppers with a sauted onion, minced garlic, kosher salt and vinegar. I keep adding vinegar until the consistancy is right.
Currently in absentia...
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
You're giving me evil thoughts here...

I'd also cut some in half and smoke them til tender, not dried, and make a hot sauce with them. I blend the peppers with a sauted onion, minced garlic, kosher salt and vinegar. I keep adding vinegar until the consistancy is right.
Now THAT sounds good. I bet he'll like that idea even better. Since he's only got 3 peppers, this may be a better option. Thanks Guerry!

-Mahatma Gandhi

Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
Riverside BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I use a dehydrator to dry mine out then once good and dry use a proccessor to grind them to the fineness I want depending on what I use them for. I've had one batch of mixed peppers dried and in a ball jar for several years. It only takes a pinch to make you cry.
Riverside BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Here's a good hot sauce recipe:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=81442

He used 20 peppers, but I suppose you could scale it down.

For drying I usually just toss them in the dehydrator for a few hours, but then again, we're talking about 20-40 habaneros at a time.

If I only had 3 I'd probably go the smoking route while doing some other meat.
jaymo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
Here's a good hot sauce recipe:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=81442

He used 20 peppers, but I suppose you could scale it down.

For drying I usually just toss them in the dehydrator for a few hours, but then again, we're talking about 20-40 habaneros at a time.

If I only had 3 I'd probably go the smoking route while doing some other meat.
That thread was exactly what I was looking for! Glad you found it. It was the inspiration for my own pepper sauce experiments.
Currently in absentia...
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post

run a couple 'loads' of white rice in the grinder--cleans all the oils out
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote