The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS - Seasoning - Foul Smells Normal??? Advice Please

Hi All,

OK.. took my food grade barrel, no liner. Washed it out and wire brushed both top and bottom.
Within a day, Flash rusting began all over interior.

Last night I covered the inside with CRISCO, and used an 18" diameter pan to hold charcoal. I dumped the charcoal in, and started to season. It smoked pretty bad, for awhile, then the smoked settled down after a couple of hours. I took the top off to see what was going on.. and the reamaining charcoal was now smoldering, where prior it was glowing/burning. The pan was not raised off the bottom of the drum. My completed UDS will of course have the proper basket.

What I noticed though was almost a petroleum smell. For the burn I went with an off briquette brand product, though not a matchlight or anything. Is this type of smell to be expected? The smolder due to not enough oxygen, and the off brand product? The drum held aloe vera juice in it, so I expect not the smells to be coming from any residual, and the drum started to flash rust which tells me I was at bare metal.

I also had 4 holes drilled in the bottom, and the lid with the 2" hole open and slightly ajar from the drum.

Should I try another seasoning burn with something different?

Thank You for your answers, insight, and advice.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11

Last edited by Smiter Q; 08-29-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

One step that most everyone does is to burn the barrel out at some point during the build. I mean burn it with enough wood to completely burn off the paint that is on the outside of the barrel. Then spray the inside with oil or just cook something. Either way the the inside willl season. Then you can deal with getting the ouside sanded and painted with high heat paint before it starts to rust.

Unread 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H. View Post
One step that most everyone does is to burn the barrel out at some point during the build. I mean burn it with enough wood to completely burn off the paint that is on the outside of the barrel. Then spray the inside with oil or just cook something. Either way the the inside willl season. Then you can deal with getting the ouside sanded and painted with high heat paint before it starts to rust.
BINGO!

You missed a very important step here...

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for input... but .. before I get anymore comments(although truthful they may be)... I must state that I am aware of the burn procedure, and that was not available to me where I live. Had a thread last week about this, and burning is not the question of this thread.

Also as stated:
barrel had aloe vera juice AND I brushed with a grinder and drill brush to bare metal.. that began to rust within a day. So I was at clean metal.

I am asking about the questions in the post, specifically the seasoning smells and the petroleum..
does that come from briquettes and DURING a proper seasoning??
When I season cast iron in the oven, it is a smelly and smokey process,
wondering if to expect more smells, especially slight petroleum ones during a
burn with briquettes.

If the answer is no, this is not normal.. then I will not use this barrel.
Sorry to redirect back to my specific questions, but that is where I need assistance.

Thank You.

Last edited by Smiter Q; 08-29-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Unread 08-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Smiter, I would think you are good to go. Fresh oil/grease and an off-brand briquet sound like a likely combination for a little off smell. The smoldering fuel may be the real culpret in that combination. Get you basket built for proper airflow and I bet you will be golden. Keep us posted brother.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's one more vote for the smoldering fire being the real issue here...
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Try seasoning it again with some better charcoal. Light it with paper and see what happens. Be sure to use a few chunks of wood. Off brand charcoals, who knows what you're getting. Maybe there wase some matchlite and other scraps in there.

Unread 08-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

if you got to bare metal and had rust your'e good, Im betting on what they say, smoldering cheap charcoal, I have had that happen when I used an off brand to try and save money, not in my new uds but in another smoker, it was an off smell and it was kind of like petroluem but I bet your smelling creosote from cheap coals
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

dont use charcoal, build you a basket, and use wood, keep the fire goin for a bit, (you say you cant burn it out..i assume cuz of ... i dunno smoke or somethin... maybe yer at an apt...but.... how do you plan to cook w/o burnin something) again build you a basket and keep that chock full of wood and let it get hot, let it burn out for a good hour or so... with a nice clean fire so you can heat up the metal, open them "pores" up so it can suck in the "Seasoning oils" as it cools down, (just like with a cast iron pan)
GROGG
MY BLOG

Facebookin it!
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
dont use charcoal, build you a basket, and use wood, keep the fire goin for a bit, (you say you cant burn it out..i assume cuz of ... i dunno smoke or somethin... maybe yer at an apt...but.... how do you plan to cook w/o burnin something) again build you a basket and keep that chock full of wood and let it get hot, let it burn out for a good hour or so... with a nice clean fire so you can heat up the metal, open them "pores" up so it can suck in the "Seasoning oils" as it cools down, (just like with a cast iron pan)
Meat.. I was referring to burning the barrel out with pallets and such, where the flames shoot out the top.
Seasoning and smoking no problem at my house though

To all.. thanks. I will try with a good lump and some real wood.

Last edited by Smiter Q; 08-29-2010 at 10:19 PM..