拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
grillnputt
On the road to being a farker

Default BB Ribs Question

Here I go! Do I wrap the ribs AFTER they've pulled back from the bone, or do I wrap them after 2-3 hours and then take them off the smoker after they've pulled back from the bone and then cooler for 1 hour. Ribs are supposed to be easy. They drive me nuts!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

You do not have to foil at all. For BB, most foil at the 2 hour mark, for 1 hour if that.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Just reread your question again and got confused. Are you talking about foiling while cooking or wrapping them for holding once done??
A bunch of Webers

Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillnputt View Post
Here I go! Do I wrap the ribs AFTER they've pulled back from the bone, or do I wrap them after 2-3 hours and then take them off the smoker after they've pulled back from the bone and then cooler for 1 hour. Ribs are supposed to be easy. They drive me nuts!!!
If you wait til pull back, you've waited too long IMHO. Wrap after the bark looks right, and take out of foil once tender. Some folks say to wrap til pull back.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
grillnputt
On the road to being a farker

I'm using the 3-2-1 method. However, at 3 hours now the ribs haven't pulled back. (cooking 225-250 consistently.) I would usually foil at this point, so I'm not sure if I should wait or if they will pull back in the foil.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

3-2-1 is sometimes too long for spares, and way too long for babybacks.
A bunch of Webers

Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

3-2-1 is just a suggested time frame. If doing that method, I think you smoke til bark looks right, as I stated above, then wrap til pull back, then finish smoking til tender.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

What are you cooking them on? In my WSM I'm going 2-1-(10 minutes) @ 275 with great results. At the 2 hour mark I already have pull back then it pulls more when foiled.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
What are you cooking them on? In my WSM I'm going 2-1-(10 minutes) @ 275 with great results. At the 2 hour mark I already have pull back then it pulls more when foiled.
Yep, that's the method I'm using as well.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Kid Weber
Got rid of the matchlight.

We tried the 2-1- ten min last week very good.
Kid Weber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

They are done when they are done (wish I had said that first).........just cook em till they REALLY droop when you pick them up in the middle of the slab with tongs. If they almost want to break in half...they are done.

No foil (or as Paul Kirk calls it "Texas Crutch") , no timing. Just spritz them with some moisture every 45 minutes (I like beer for this such as Shiner Bock)

For BB slabs, about 4 hours maybe up to 5 hours at 250*. If the slabs are under 2 pounds, closer to 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

3 hours and 10 minutes seems short. I have seen the 3-1-1/2 method do well but you end up cooking for 5 1/2 hours because of the downtime of wrapping, glazing and adjusting in the cooker. Also it hasn't been mentioned but wrap meat side down. I look for a good color and "crispness" to the bark before I wrap. I want the meat to look like its been cooked which occurs around the three hour mark for me in my cooker. The rib will still have a spring to it when held with tongs. It goes into the foil meat side down for about an hour or until the wrapped product droops under it own weight when held from both ends. Unwrap and glaze. When glaze is to your liking remove. I cook at 230 and slowly raise to 275 while wrapped.

What kind of cooker you are using will greatly change the style of cooking too. I have a cooker that when full of meat cooks ribs without need of wrapping and also offers and incredibly tasty bark that never was submerged in liquids. Some of the bullet cookers really throw heat, as I am sure UDS's do as well, and can destroy the underside of your ribs if the heat spikes. I never turn my ribs meat side down in the cooker but some cookers require you to turn....although that may be the cook telling you that.

Ok now that I've confused you let me leave you with this. Cook it the same way a few times before you change something. There is no magic bullet and you need to learn you own groove; your own way. Gook luck.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

3 hrs-10 minutes does seem short and I thought too good to be true but it works great. I noticed the OP sig listed a WSM so it's worth a shot. Heres a thread I started with some pron on the results.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=90182

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
qman
Babbling Farker

My cooker's sweet spot is 260 degrees. I cook baby back ribs at this temp, unfoiled, for 3.5 hours, approx. Works every time.
Of course, final done-ness is determined by feel,not temp. but the three plus hours seems to always work, regardless of weight, since the thickness is almost always the same.
No mopping, no tinkering. Just cook, add a little glaze last 20 minutes or so [just to make my wife happy, I am good with dry rubbed ribs.]

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

BB's we cook at 245 to 255. We foil at 1.5 hours because we're on hickory which can after a while consume a BB if much longer. We go to a total of 5 to 5.25 hours, unwrap,
sauce ever-so-lightly, put back on for 5 minutes, take off and consume WAY too quickly.
If we want them falling apart (some of our fans prefer them this way), we go to 5.75
hours.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote