The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #46
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

That kettle mod looks good! What kind of flour are you using?

Unread 08-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
That kettle mod looks good! What kind of flour are you using?
Con Agra Bakers Choice HG (Bread Flour) from Sams. It is actually not too bad...and you cannot beat the price. I used to use KABF, but I can get 25lb bag of the Bakers Choice for a buck more then 5lb of KABF
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #48
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

I am thinking something like this for the pan in the top of the lid...a heat mass is not needed imo, as there is so much hot air coming over the pie..but I think this would decrease the volume in the lid and force the air down over the pie more....

http://www.overstock.com/Wholesale/A...i_sku=12682410

Unread 08-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #49
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

couple more pies tonight on the LBE - I need to tweak it a bit - my main grate is sagging and I need more airflow over the top of the pie...regardless, still the best crust I have made (including anything I have made on the Primo or the home oven). It is crunchy outside and moist and chewy inside...this is a pizza making machine. First pie cooked in 4 1/2 minutes, the second one cooked in 3 min 15 seconds (stone temp was about 590 and lid thermo read 700 when put this one on).

Last edited by gtsum; 02-01-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Unread 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #50
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Man, those pies look awesome!!

Unread 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #51
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

Carbon - I just noticed you have a wood fired pizza oven??? Got any pics? I think I am going to talk the wife into making an outdoor WFO for the patio....of course, this kettle mod (cost me $10) attempts to klone a WFO...it does not quite get there, but it does work!

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #52
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Carbon - I just noticed you have a wood fired pizza oven??? Got any pics? I think I am going to talk the wife into making an outdoor WFO for the patio....of course, this kettle mod (cost me $10) attempts to klone a WFO...it does not quite get there, but it does work!
My oven project is not yet completely finished although the oven itself is fully functional. It basically only needs final stucco. After that I will construct a small concrete counter/workspace right next to it.
Here's a photo of the oven I took a few days ago...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040986.jpg (29.4 KB, 318 views)

Unread 08-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #53
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
My oven project is not yet completely finished although the oven itself is fully functional. It basically only needs final stucco. After that I will construct a small concrete counter/workspace right next to it.
Here's a photo of the oven I took a few days ago...

very nice!

Unread 08-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #54
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I am thinking something like this for the pan in the top of the lid...a heat mass is not needed imo, as there is so much hot air coming over the pie..but I think this would decrease the volume in the lid and force the air down over the pie more....

http://www.overstock.com/Wholesale/A...i_sku=12682410
Check out this link - it's a complete tutorial. This guy uses just a regular pizza pan on the inside of the cover. BTW, your pizzas look GREAT!
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #55
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

I made some adjustments to the LBE today and got much better results. Replaced the stock grate with a new charcoal grate and used 3 inch Ss bolts to hold him up (since the grate is 5 inches smaller then the kettle). Cut some Firebrick for the hearth and put a small SS bowl filled with one layer of lava rocks about an inch above the burner to spread the heat out). These made a big difference. Cooked 4 pies tonight at varying temps...the 4th one was the best of the bunch...good char, nice leoparding on the top, crispy crust and rim - even after cooling down it maintained it...all cooked from 3:45 to 4:10 - for about $30 that I put into this thing, it is a pizza cooking machine...the pies I used to cook on my ceramic cooker do not come close to these...good thing I suppose so i dont go through any more fireboxes!

Last edited by gtsum; 02-01-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Unread 09-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #56
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome pies!! Beautiful crusts...

Unread 09-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #57
loveboxer
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
John,

I have one of these. They work fine. The problem is the bottom of the crust cooks far faster than the top. With the LBE Weber mod, you have a heat reflector on top, in addition to a side vent on the the cover of the kettle which duplicates the convection style heat you get from a pizza oven. This method allows for even doneness on both top and bottom of pizza , plus very short cook times, plus, super crispy outer crust.
I have one of these too and do not have the problem of the crust cooking faster than the top at all..
loveboxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #58
ccourt9283
Got Wood.

I have an extra 55 gal drum that I was going to make a second UDS with maybe a dedicated pizza grill instead?
ccourt9283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2010, 04:20 AM   #59
Sledneck
Time Out

Test by slice/ny http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...ll-insert.html
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #60
Sledneck
Time Out

(in a low very freaky voice) Yeahhhhhhhh that pizza is for a dirty giiiirrrrrllll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeQBHludGs&NR=1
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weber kettle mods