ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-12-2004, 11:10 PM   #16
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Robert
We know they are out there, but they swore to judge within the rules.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 03:27 AM   #17
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great post and great blog. It will definately become regular reading.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 07:25 AM   #18
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

Robert,
Good to know what you observed.

Jim,
Good to hear your insights and what the KCBS is looking for.

Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #19
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Robert,
I like your responses and Jims rules knowledge, so I need to ask.

Greg and I are also certified, but never judged.

You mentioned the guy made a "design" with Chicken like a smile and horns.

We learned this would get a Disqualification on presentation for trying to "influence" appearence through a design.

What is the actual rule, and did anyone judge them that way at your table that you know of?

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #20
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have to comment on the judge(s) that gave low points to hot and spicey entries. To me, this is an unfair bias. I would understand it if he meant unnecessary hot, meaning so hot that it overpowers the flavors. Hope that this is just a regional thing.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #21
jmcgrath
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I was contest organizer for the Connecticut contest and was expecting to be off duty once the Contest Reps showed up, a day of hanging out with the teams and drinking their beer. Not to be :(

I had two alternate judges signed up and thought I was covered. For whatever reason, there were four no shows and I got sucked into judging.

I was seated at Rob's (BrooklynQ) table and agree with most of his observations. First of all, the chicken skin sucked. If you can't do it right, go skinless! The breast entry was dried out and tasteless.

I was the judge who questioned the slab of ribs entry. The sauce was painted on so heavily that is was impossible to discern individual pieces. The Contest Rep said it was OK, and I ended up scoring it a 9 in appearance. If I had been the Rep, I would have DQd it. Unfortunately, I was also the judge who got the dried out riblet from the bottom. That killed them on my score card. I don't remember a discussion about smoke rings.

Most of the pork entries were mediocre. Bland.

There was only one passible brisket entry. Most were dried out.

Jim
jmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #22
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
You mentioned the guy made a "design" with Chicken like a smile and horns.

We learned this would get a Disqualification on presentation for trying to "influence" appearence through a design.

What is the actual rule, and did anyone judge them that way at your table that you know of?

Here's the rules:
20. Garnish is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce (no kale, endive, or red tipped lettuce) and/or common curly parsley, flat leaf parsley or cilantro. Any entry not complying with this rule will be given a one (1) on APPEARANCE.

21. Marking of any kind of the meat or container will not be tolerated. This will include but is not limited to painting, sculpting, or decorating. No aluminum foil or stuffing is allowed in the container. No toothpicks, skewers, foreign material or stuffing is permitted. Any entry not complying with this rule will be given a one (1) in APPEARANCE, a one (1) in TASTE, and a one (1) in TENDERNESS/TEXTURE.

What I was taught in my judging class was that a design could be used as a way to identify a particular team and so it should be DQ'd.

The presentation didn't really register as a identifiable design at the contest. At least not to me. Only when I looked back on it and tried to find words to describe it, did the presentation become the horny smilely face. Someone more astute than myself may have picked it up there.

Jim? What's your take on it. You saw it too.

No one judge can DQ an entry. It needs approval by the contest rep.

One other area that was questioned by a cook when he saw the empty containers, was the use of iceburg lettuce as oppposed to green leaf lettuce. He stated that green leaf lettuce is a particular breed of lettuce and that iceburg is a breed unto itself. He felt that iceburg should have DQ'd that submission. The rep said that iceburg was indeed a green leaf lettuce. I wonder if this has come up before?
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 01:51 PM   #23
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Marking can be a tough call, if you make an X, that's marking but a circle is OK from what I'm seeing. If the chicken was arraigned to make a face that could have been called marking very easily, not something I would be willing to do as a cook. As a rep I may have to DQ after seeing it. Tough call sometimes.

Chicken skin can be done correctly, I turn breasts quite often. They have done very well for me, a number of first and top 5 finishes, even a 6th at the Royal Open against 365 turn-ins a few years ago. Jim McGrath is right if you can not get the skin tender or chrisp you are better off turning in skinless. Tip on chicken breasts don't allow the internal to get over 160º internal, I take it off the cooker at 157º. It will have tender skin and be very moist.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #24
jmcgrath
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
The presentation didn't really register as a identifiable design at the contest. At least not to me. Only when I looked back on it and tried to find words to describe it, did the presentation become the horny smilely face. Someone more astute than myself may have picked it up there.

Jim? What's your take on it. You saw it too.
I didn't notice anything about it that I would consider marking. I thought it was a rather dumb presentation, but don't recall how I scored it. I did score low on taste and tenderness. The breast meat was tasteless and dry.

Jim
jmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #25
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdogSmoker
I have to comment on the judge(s) that gave low points to hot and spicey entries. To me, this is an unfair bias. I would understand it if he meant unnecessary hot, meaning so hot that it overpowers the flavors. Hope that this is just a regional thing.
Bigdog, this was a theoretical discussion. None of the food I had was particularly spicy. It was just something I thought people should be aware of. When I was trained, we were told to judge the meat, not the sauce.

Unread 08-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #26
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgrath
I don't remember a discussion about smoke rings.
Jim
It was after the rib judging. I think you were off having a smoke.

Unread 09-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #27
Florida Bill
Found some matches.

Robert,
I'm new to the Brethren and thus just getting around to some of the previous posts. Thanks for this one. I have never participated in a competetion but am certainly interested. As a matter of fact, I'll be attending one in Covington, Ga. on Oct. 13-14. I'm really looking forward to watching the folks work and now that I've been smoking a while, asking a lot of questions. Thanks again, I'm off to your blog.

Charbroil Silver Smoker
SS Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Big Block
Weber 22" Grill
Florida Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #28
BrooklynQ
Banned

Wow. Talk about bringing up the past. I hope you enjoy the blog. Thanks.

Unread 09-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #29
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

Rob, thanks again for all the insight. Sound like it was a good learning experience.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #30
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

That was a fun event right there.... can I brag just a little? We took home the 1st place trophies for ribs AND brisket that day, 2004 right?, and ended up with Reserve to Purple Turtle's Grand (1.12 point difference). Gregg (PTCC) was by himself except for one mentoree and he won the whole damn thing on a coupla WSM's!! That was also the event where I first met Poohbah, and that was lunchmeat's first ever Reserve! The GC is still elusive to us, but we have hope... Thanks for the trip down memory lane ... I think I'll go dust off those trophies now that I am remembering the work that went into winning them.
Thanks -
lunchlady
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote