MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Venison?

Howdy Brethren.

I was given a kind gift of several venison tenderloins. Have no idea what to do with them. Could the brethren help me out?

I have at my disposal a UDS, Weber kettle with rotisserie doohickey, and the UDT (plus other indoor contraptions - crock pot, Dutch oven, etc).

Thanks!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

well first off, venison is really very lean, and if not used to gamey flavor can be a lil offputting, i love it slow and low... i have never had it smoked just ovened overnight and junk, but i spose dependin on how big ya could wrap in bacon and treat it like a really smally brisket....i dunno, im just blowin smoke, or cube it up use the dutch oven and turn it into stew, or chili,
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Venison Backstrap? That is the best cut of a deer. Cook it hot and fast and take it off a little rare.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=venison

Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

You have insider tenderloins which are small, and you have the outside baskstraps which are larger, but a lot of people refer to them as "tenderloins." If I had a backstrap I would marinate it whole for a day in allegro and a little italian. buttefly it and stuff with bell pepper and onion. fold back over and wrap in bacon. smoke/grill until done, you want to eat no more than medium rare. For a real treat smear some room temp cream cheese on the top at the end and finish. Slice with sharp knife into medallions and serve. Can guarantee you there will be absolutely no complaints if you do not overcook.... Another option for the backstrap is to cut into medallions upfront, marinate for 1 or 2 hours in Moore's NOT Dales and then wrap with 1 slice jalapeno, little swiss and 1/2 piece bacon.... If I had the inside tenderloin, I would marinate it in whatever I like for maybe 4 hrs, but would not get out the jalapeno/cheese/bacon and grill to medium rare... Off course if you wrap the inside in bacon or whatever it will be great, and that maybe what you want to do if serving to women or friends who don't want any type of game taste...

Old 08-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I am assuming it's backstrap and not tenderloin. I would cut the silverskin off and and cut into 3/8 " slices and flour and fry. Yum. You could also slice thicker and grill. I would not do a low and slow, it's LEAN. For me, I do not over cook, leaving a bit of pink. As far as a gamey flavor, I say BS. Don't mask it. Just my .02
bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
BuckSnort
On the road to being a farker

Very kind gift indeed

Hard to beat it dredged in a flour and egg wash then fried in hot oil, seasoned with garlic salt,season salt and pepper...carefull not to over cook... That is how I usually cook my backstraps..

Here's another way I cook venison...

Venison Kabobs
3 lbs venison
2 White Onions
2 Bell peppers
1 Pkg. Bacon
Pineapple Chunks (Optional)
Italian Dressing
Garlic salt
Season salt
Pepper
Skewers

You will want to use good cuts of venison for this recipe.. I either use the Back straps or the nice clean large muscles in the rear quarters.
Make sure to remove all fat and silver strand from meat (One reason I like to butcher my own game).

Cut venison into chunks about 2" and 1" thick then place into a bowl and ad the Italian dressing mix it up then cover with
plastic wrap and into the fridge. Let marinate at least 4 hrs but no more than overnight.

Cut bacon in half and set aside
Cut Onions and Bell peppers (and optional pineapple) into chunks into same size as meat.
Drain marinade from meat and wrap each cube with bacon then thread onto Skewer, alternating with pieces of meat and the vegetable's and optional pineapple.
Season loaded skewers with the garlic salt,season salt and pepper
Place onto a medium heat grill until med. rare...DO NOT OVERCOOK. It is very easy to overcook venison because of it's high protein
content...It will continue to cook after you remove it from the heat until it cools down. It is safer to lean on the rare side because of this

This meal is excellent and goes great with home made pilaf

BuckSnort is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Smoke that backstrap whole. I shot a small deer last year - so I folded the backstrap in half, rubbed, and wrapped in a bacon weave.

Serve with a fine wine and end the evening with a great Cuban cigar.

Verify internal temp with a superfast RED Thermapen and pull when nice and rare.

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

If you have the smaller inner tenderloins - cut into 1/4" thick medallions, pound thin.

Cut the pounded meat into strips about the width of a slice of bacon. Take a bacon slice, arrange a couple strips of venison on the bacon (leave last inch or two of bacon uncovered), add chopped poblano pepper and maybe finely diced onion, some Bobine Bold or your favorite rub and some parm cheese.

Roll into pinwheels towards the 'bare' end of the bacon and secure with a skewer. Smoke pinwheels for 45 -60 mins until done.

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Some great ideas! I love both venison backstrap and tenderloin...

here are some more options..

some grilled backstrap with morels..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=82328

fajitas
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76889

kabobs

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75389

some stuffed, cured backstrap....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59226

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=63847

just some options...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

WOW!

Thank you so much everyone. The many ideas/recipes for fried/kebabed/pinwheeled/smoked venison all sound delicious. I have enough that I may be able to try a few of these recipes.

I searched cooksillustrated.com for recipes and they had none... zero... zilch. I've come to think they are a bunch of Yankee know-it-alls anyways.

Thanks again!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI_Guy View Post
Smoke that backstrap whole. I shot a small deer last year - so I folded the backstrap in half, rubbed, and wrapped in a bacon weave.

Serve with a fine wine and end the evening with a great Cuban cigar.

Verify internal temp with a superfast RED Thermapen and pull when nice and rare.

Umm, aren't you a little young for wine and cigars?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
tubadude
is one Smokin' Farker

One of my favorite ways to cook backstrap is to cut it into 2" pieces. Marinate in apple cider (NOT APPLE CIDER VINEGAR) for 3 plus hours...then pat dry and continue the marination with your favorite sauce for 3 plus hours....then wrap all that sloppiness in bacon with a toothpick (like a MOINK) and sear at high heat. I do mine on the bubba keg! Wonderful eatin!!!!
tubadude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
bottomsupbbq
Full Fledged Farker

It isnt Q but deer tenderloin makes some damn good Stroganoff
[I]Ultra Fast[/I] [COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen
bottomsupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

We've always had rave reviews when doing a venison chili. For the meat, drain all
the blood from it, wash it, drain and drain again. Then cut off any fat. Between these
the gamey flavor should be gone. You can cut the meat into small chunks; we put
it then (after removed all fat) through a grinder using a chili grind (about as big around
as my wife's pinky finger). There's not enough fat in this, so we use a little lard or
vegetable oil when browning the meat and vegetables (if not doing a CASI chili).

It'll taste similar to beef, only a little better.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
We've always had rave reviews when doing a venison chili. For the meat, drain all
the blood from it, wash it, drain and drain again. Then cut off any fat. Between these
the gamey flavor should be gone. You can cut the meat into small chunks; we put
it then (after removed all fat) through a grinder using a chili grind (about as big around
as my wife's pinky finger). There's not enough fat in this, so we use a little lard or
vegetable oil when browning the meat and vegetables (if not doing a CASI chili).

It'll taste similar to beef, only a little better.
Thanks for the info. Could I hit you up for your chili recipe?

Also, I've been told that squeezing some lemon juice on to the meat and letting it sit for a few minutes gets rid of the gamey flavor?Any truth to this?