עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-24-2004, 12:56 PM   #91
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Nice write up.

Arlie is Arlie Bragg! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 01:01 PM   #92
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Some photos are up guys.. There is another whole roll of film due up that i took. these were kind of scattered. apologize for the non digital quality.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #93
BBQchef33

[quote="BrooklynQ"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Quote:
Where's Robs write up?
As usual, my write up is long, but it's here.www.***********************.com

Damn, next time someone remind me to just bring a whip.!! or better yet.. Maybe grow in a thin mustache and an armband. Heil!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #94
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Marquis de Sade Mod???

Anybody know if the Guitarbeque folks are gonna post results?

Unread 08-24-2004, 02:00 PM   #95
Bigdog

Congrats bros. on an outstanding showing. Had some take out brisket today that was less than good. Not juicy at all, and mild on the flavor. Thank goodness they make great hot sauce. Did any of the entries use sauce?
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #96
chad

Arlie or someone from KCBS should post them. Unfortunately I have no idea where they would be posted.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #97
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

OMG that write up was hilarious! I sure would love to know when they will be airing that program so I can see your ugly mugs on TV!

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 02:33 PM   #98
BrooklynQ
Banned

[quote="BBQchef33"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Quote:
Quote:
Where's Robs write up?

Damn, next time someone remind me to just bring a whip.!! or better yet.. Maybe grow in a thin mustache and an armband. Heil!
Phil, you got the wrong impression man. In no way did I feel that you were being a dictator or over bearing at all. I guess I didn't express my thoughts properly.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 03:45 PM   #99
BBQchef33

[quote="BrooklynQ"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where's Robs write up?

Phil, you got the wrong impression man. In no way did I feel that you were being a dictator or over bearing at all. I guess I didn't express my thoughts properly.
Well....but this one line bugs me..
You wrote
"There was nothing that I did that helped win that contest.".

You are so far from the truth. There is no way we could have even placed without your help.... and Daves and Mine. We were functioning as a team. Right at the beginning i said we'll go with what I know unless someone has a secret weapon. No one spoke up so i went with what i am familiar with. But no team can function without a support staff. If there are 4 cooks, you still need a support staff of at least 3. In this case, yeah i was cookin, but i was also freaking out, getting lost, tripping over myself and becoming totally derailed. Everyone there did what had to be done and each of us kept the other on track. I jumped track a few times because of the events that happened last week and you and dave got me focused and back on track. At one time while slicing the meat, it started bleeding across the cutting board. All I saw was the blood and I froze... Flashback to the site last week in front of my truck. I was about to have a meltdown... You came back and bitchslapped me... "We need the other brisket.. That one is no good". YOU explained how judges look at the brisket. I was not aware of that(accordian thing).... I went with your judgement and we won first. You dont think thats a contribution to our win? You were 1/3 of a winning team and also flew solo on the presentations. The only thing i did was fluff up the pork with you...The ODD number of pieces was something that was told to me about doing presentation boxes. Always put an odd number in.. like in floral arrangments. I was relaying those words.

We all put alot of sweat into those 2 days, and no one person is responsible, its a team effort.. the glory goes to each of us. I couldnt do that alone and I'd be part of that same team anyday.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 08-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #100
Solidkick

Just curious, what was the scoring on the ribs and pork butt?

And BQ, you played a very vital role in the team process. Someone has to step and and make the final call for the team, and you go with it.
You gave very valuable input, which is all a team member can ask be asked for.

Excellent job team!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #101
BBQchef33

Quote:
Just curious, what was the scoring on the ribs and pork butt?
Appearance / Taste / Tenderness

brisket 556 998 676 788 789 899
chicken 777 788 967 887 998 988
pork 747 768 878 777 878 777
ribs 989 756 888 788 887 758

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 08-24-2004, 05:04 PM   #102
Solidkick

Starting at a "6", the scores really don't look that bad.....
Wonder if maybe your pork entry was the first one judged in the group and they left some lee way.

Ribs: looks more like personal preference scoring. 989 to a 756?
Judges 3,4 and 5 show more consistent numbers. I'd venture to say this is more inline with how they really were.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #103
BBQchef33

forgot.... low scores are dropped.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 08-24-2004, 07:02 PM   #104
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

What was your total score cause that is the best indicator of the way the judging went overal. A total of 640 or higher has been winning competitions all over the country this year.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 08:24 PM   #105
icemn62
Babbling Farker

I have never been involved in a competition before, but I do know about team work. It would seem to me, that there was a leader on site. A good leader, because he allowed / encouraged the other members of the tam some input. The secret to sucess is organization, delegation, and someone willing to stand in front and say my call. This is what I thought as I was reading these post. Sounds like you guys had a great time, enjoyed yourselves. Most of all the Brethren put on a fine showing and proved they know what they are doing with the smoke. Truly, BROTHERS IN SMOKE.

My .02 worth

[quote="BBQchef33"]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where's Robs write up?

Well....but this one line bugs me..
You wrote
"There was nothing that I did that helped win that contest.".

You are so far from the truth. There is no way we could have even placed without your help.... and Daves and Mine. We were functioning as a team. Right at the beginning i said we'll go with what I know unless someone has a secret weapon. No one spoke up so i went with what i am familiar with. But no team can function without a support staff. If there are 4 cooks, you still need a support staff of at least 3. In this case, yeah i was cookin, but i was also freaking out, getting lost, tripping over myself and becoming totally derailed. Everyone there did what had to be done and each of us kept the other on track. I jumped track a few times because of the events that happened last week and you and dave got me focused and back on track. At one time while slicing the meat, it started bleeding across the cutting board. All I saw was the blood and I froze... Flashback to the site last week in front of my truck. I was about to have a meltdown... You came back and bitchslapped me... "We need the other brisket.. That one is no good". YOU explained how judges look at the brisket. I was not aware of that(accordian thing).... I went with your judgement and we won first. You dont think thats a contribution to our win? You were 1/3 of a winning team and also flew solo on the presentations. The only thing i did was fluff up the pork with you...The ODD number of pieces was something that was told to me about doing presentation boxes. Always put an odd number in.. like in floral arrangments. I was relaying those words.

We all put alot of sweat into those 2 days, and no one person is responsible, its a team effort.. the glory goes to each of us. I couldnt do that alone and I'd be part of that same team anyday.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote